Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RSS Reader - is there one which auto-refreshes & alerts?

Default RSS Reader - is there one which auto-refreshes & alerts?
    Hi!

I'm trying to find a solution to this problem:

"Monitor specified RSS feeds every 'n' minutes and provide an audio alert if any are updated"

Essentially it's a way of keeping a close eye on some important feeds by refreshing them every fifteen minutes and beeping if there's anything new to reed.

The otherwise excellent NetNewsWire app doesn't appear to offer either audible alerting [of updated feeds] or scheduled refreshing - does anyone know an iPhone RSS reader which does?

Thanks,

Steve

iPhone? More like MyPhone picassolsus's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not aware of one. It's been my experience that EVERY RSS reader out for the iPhone lacks SOMETHING.....whether it be sorting by folders, integrated feed search/discovery, mark all as read, etc. Sure, there are several out there they do most of the above but they all lack one particular feature that makes me delete them right away. =(
    iPhone 3GS 16GB 3.0fw White + Jailbroken

Try Free RSS Reader from the App Store.

It was also lacking some features, but there was an update today that added nice features..

You can add feeds by browsing the web, Mark them all as read (I think it's per feed though) Refresh all feeds.

Still not all the best features, but it's free...

I haven't seen any auto/audio alert types..

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't tried that app before, but sadly there's not a sniff of a "Refresh feeds every 'n' minutes" or "audible alert" even in today's (0.3?) release.

The search continues....

Steve

You want automatic refreshing while the app is open?
    Coz you won't have it refresh when it's closed coz Apple doesn't permit that kind of background operation. Instead I'm hoping for a dev to try and use mobilesubstrate to hack into and force the app to background refresh.

Well either with the app open (not ideal) or using Backgrounder to run it in....

I like the idea of being able to utilize mobile substrate to background-refresh the app, if that's possible.

Steve

I have Free RSS reader and i can't figure out how to use it. I want to add iphone news RSS feed from this site but i cant figure out how. any pointers? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by picassolsus View Post
    I'm not aware of one. It's been my experience that EVERY RSS reader out for the iPhone lacks SOMETHING.....whether it be sorting by folders, integrated feed search/discovery, mark all as read, etc. Sure, there are several out there they do most of the above but they all lack one particular feature that makes me delete them right away. =(
    Feeds does all of that and has pretty good Google Reader sync, it's the best one in my experience. Doesn't do auto refresh but you can choose between refresshing one feed and refreshing all. Not free though.

try Boxcar on the app store