+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iChinese

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Learn Chinese characters and train yourself writing them. Beta version 0.9 has been released with four lessons from the famous "Practical Chinese Reader" book series. Find more screenshots on http://www.ichinese.de
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iChinese
    Learn Chinese characters and train yourself writing them.
    Beta version 0.9 has been released with four lessons from the famous "Practical Chinese Reader" book series.
    Find more screenshots on http://www.ichinese.de.
    iPod/iPhone installer repository: http://ichinese.de/repo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hubermat For This Useful Post:

brainfood (02-29-2008), Richardwu (10-01-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    perfect.....will try it right now....

great

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Blocked in China
    Hey Matthias, is there someone you can talk to about getting unblocked in mainland china? No idea why they blocked ichinese but it's annoying as hell.
    Call your ISP? I donno!
    Still waiting for Practical Chinese 2
    P.S. iChinese is the SH{* Try it if you ever wanted to learn Chinese!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Soon available in AppStore
    Hi,
    I also don't know why my site is blocked in China
    Don't know how to ask to unblock my site.
    But iChinese will be soon available in the AppStore, then it should be downloadable also in China
    Best regards,
    Matthias

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had paid for ichinese and found it really good. Now I upgraded to 2.0 and lost it. App store I cannot use to buy as Im in India. If you could make it same as earlier that the app is free and then you pay via paypal for additions I wouldn't mind paying again also.

Green Apple
    Thanks

hi matthias.....if i bought previously on my iphone 2G in 1.1.4 ...and now upgraded to 3G iphone...how do i buy this on appstore without paying? do i need to pay again for it???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi Matthias,
    I sent an e-mail to [email protected] in July, I hope you or someone at ichinese read it. I had a few requests, hopefully you can integrate or begin planning:

1. The book "Practical Chinese Reader 1" that you used is a good system for simplified Chinese. In version 2.0 of ichinese, you should make the 2nd book available as there are only 126 characters in the trainer as of version 1.6.
    2. You should consider the John DeFrancis Yale Language series "Beginning Chinese Reader" & "Intermediate Chinese Reader" etc. for traditional characters, as those are generally agreed to be the best.
    3. Cantonese is the second largest Chinese dialect, and still a valuble language to learn. Pronunciation here is different from Pinyin; Jyutping and Standard Cantonese Pinyin are it's romanizations. If included, they would make your program a complete learning & reference tool for the two largest Chinese dialects and writing systems.
    4. You should allow the Pinyin to display even after long term memory i reached; as they are ideograms and not phonetic, the danger with learning to read and write chinese is not forgetting the characters meaning, it is forgetting their pronunciation.

I am very exited about your work, and I thoroughly believe it's revolutionary. I would like to invest and also help you find other forms of funding and promotion. You should be aware of the importance of this program; nothing like it is available in the Chinese language learning industry as of today. Let me tell you- that is a massive market with large opportunity. If you develop and promote this in the right way, it could be the most important product in the market.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 白深德 For This Useful Post:

smoen02 (09-01-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,
    thank you very much for your feedback.
    to 1.: I will extend the lessons for the Practical Chinese Reader series in the near future. But first iChinese has to be released in the AppStore!
    to 2: once I am finished with the Practical Chinese Reader series, I will consider to create lessons for other book series too
    to 3: can't say anything to this at the moment. I have still so many to implement/improve in iChinese...
    to 4: the new iChinese for the AppStore comes with a speech output module, which offers things like listening exercises.
    Best regards,
    Matthias

Hi,
    if i bought previously on my iphone 2G in 1.1.4 ...and now upgraded to 3G iphone...how do i buy this on appstore without paying? do i need to pay again for it???
    You have to buy the main iChinese application through the AppStore. But you will get access to free lessons if you have previously bought iChinese lessons or dictionary functionality. I will inform all current customers about this once iChinese is available in the AppStore (hopefully soon - waiting on Apple's approval).
    Best regards,
    Matthias
    Last edited by hubermat; 09-04-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

matthias,

I'm a native Cantonese speaker. Would this app help me learn mandarin?

Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi alan303,
    yes, iChinese helps you to learn Mandarin. For this you should buy the iChinese Mandarin Speech Output module in addition to the main application. You can then listen to the Mandarin pronounciation of all words in the lessons and the dictionary and to listening exercises. The Mandarin Speech pack is not yet available in the AppStore, but will be available very soon (only waiting for Apple's approval). The iChinese main application is already available.
    Best regards,
    Matthias