+ Reply
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [UPDATE] Status Notifier 0.2.6 Reminder/iRealSMS/MMS/Custom options

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
i have 0.2.11 of StatusNotifier installed on my jailbroken iphone 2.2.1 firmware, and i am unable to get the IM notification to work. I have tried it with Fring and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have 0.2.11 of StatusNotifier installed on my jailbroken iphone 2.2.1 firmware, and i am unable to get the IM notification to work. I have tried it with Fring and AOL AIM with no success. I only see screenshots of it working with Beejive. Has anyone else got their IM notification to work while using another IM app besides Beejive??

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thumbs down R.i.p.
    This App is obviously dead.

I think it's perfectly OK if a open-source-developer doesn't have the time anymore to maintain his project and leaves it.

But I think it sucks a lot if he abandones the project and doesn't even leave a notice. Take a look at the google project page:

statusnotifier - Google Code

People are still reporting issues, because they hope the problems might get fixed...no wonder, this could have been a really great app, but it obviously never worked right and doesn't work at all with firmware 2.2x (concerning reminders).

It took me hours of debugging sessions (reinstalling, uninstalling other apps etc.) to find the solution, why the reminders just don't work most of the times. Unfortunately it took me a while to find this forum and get to the last pages of this thread to find out that the project has been dead for over 4 months.

So, if you are trying to get a free app with reminders forget statusnotifier and switch to notifier. It works like a charm and the developer maintains his project!

Other solutions are commercial products. I know of Intelliscreen and MobileLog. But they cost money and have other problems , especially MobileLog... sorry for the ranting, but I needed to lose some frustration

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I love notifier. Used it from the very beginning. Notifier started out as a very simple program for the basic notifications (call, voicemail and SMS). And it works great. Then people requesred all the additions like mms, messenger, custom sounds, etc. What started out as a simple program balooned into a full undertaking. Notifier is responding, but it's difficult to keep up with all the bloat.

Let's keep this in mind and limit our requests. Remember the more bloat we ask the harder it will be to keep up PLUS the more likely it will not work in future app & fw versions.

JMHO
    Last edited by Mes; 02-18-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    @Mes
    I second that concerning notifier.

I for one use it only for call and sms notification/reminder. I really can't see any sense in using it for IM. I mean who is constantly running an IM client in the background? BS if you ask me.
    So yes, reduce it to the basics (maybe with mms, for people who need that) and that's it...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieburnbot View Post
    It's really easy to install. I am not sure if you are on windows or mac, but it should be similar.

First SSH the .deb file to your phone in any directory, but I would put it in / just to make it easy.

In Windows you need to download PuTTY (PuTTY: A Free Telnet/SSH Client) in order to get command line SSH access to the phone. If you are on mac I think you have terminal built in so you don't need to do this step. I'm not familiar with mac so I can't really help if you are on mac.

Anyway, after you install PuTTY start it up and in the main page where it says Host Name or (IP address) type in your phone's IP address, same as when you use SSH. It'll bring up a prompt type in root and alpine for the login name and password (if you didn't change them). I think on mac you have to do command-space, Terminal, enter. Then type ssh root@'your phone's ip-address' and the rest of the directions should be the same.

Then it will bring you to a prompt.

type in cd /
    and then type dir
    make sure you see the .deb in there, if you do that means you are in the correct directory.
    now type dpkg -i nameoffile.deb
    and it'll install just like in Cydia

After it is done just close PuTTY and reboot your phone. You can SSH into your phone and delete the .deb file from / if you want.
    I went ahead and installed it this way, now I don't see the icon anywhere on my screen to change settings. Anyone know what happened?

mokeiko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llew View Post
    @Mes
    I second that concerning notifier.

I for one use it only for call and sms notification/reminder. I really can't see any sense in using it for IM. I mean who is constantly running an IM client in the background? BS if you ask me.
    So yes, reduce it to the basics (maybe with mms, for people who need that) and that's it...

I do. In fact, I use IM (BeeJive) almost constantly when I'm not at home.

Instant messenger, picture messages, custom sounds for the notifier... these all seem pretty basic for a program that's purpose is to notify you of messages/calls to me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Would someone be so kind as to explain how one gets the RSS notifications working? Everything else works, just not RSS for me. I have netNewsWire installed with an active account... So what am I missing? Do I have to SSH into my phone and edit a JS file or similar? Advice very much appreciated, Mez

+ Reply
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415