Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backgrounder now in Cydia, what ya'll think?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great app! But i have some suggestions for "improvements/upgrades."

What if it could be possible to make an app like "Stacks" and "Backgrounder". And when an app is running in the background, it lays itself on the stack. Then we will be able to see which apps is running in the background! Yey!

Is this a great idea or what? Seriously..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heaiser View Post
    I'm having an issue where my programs that are running in the background stop running without me noticing. Anyone else having this issue?
    I have noticed that. Programs will die by itself after maybe 10 minutes or so. Anyone else getting this?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albyalby View Post
    I have noticed that. Programs will die by itself after maybe 10 minutes or so. Anyone else getting this?
    YES lol... I have complained about this about 3 times in this thread so far... that's the problem with threads though, if it goes unseen it gets buried in posts LOL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Some apps just aren't coded to be placed in the backround and they behave really weird.

Like AIM... When I put it in the backround, and go back to it, if someone sends me an IM... I wil receive 2 of the same text that was input. If I close it again and reopen it, I will receive 3 and so on..

Also, I wish there was a way for it to work through the lockscreen... As soon as I lock my phone, I wont hear the sound when IM's come in... And yes, mine normally totally dies after about 5-10 minutes.. It seems to be random when it happens.

Since this is now out, someone should try and code a messenger that has this built in, so it behaves the way it is suppose to, and we can have a great messenger that works correctly in the backround!!!

i did notice that the beejive settings has a session timeout option, maybe thats set to 10 or 20 minutes? Mine used to time out but no longer does after setting it to 24 hours

Works really well for apps like Last.fm and Pandora!

Am I the only person that this doesn't work with?

I have a 1st generation iPhone WITHOUT Intelliscreen installed. . .I even tested by installing Intelliscreen, and disabling the app boost feature. lol, it still didn't work.

I installed but cydia got hungup at the restart springboard screen. Now my phone wont boot its stuck at apple logo. I can SSH though, is there a way to remove it without restoring?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Best.... App.... Evar.....

Although it does go to show you why Apple didn't want backgrounding, the apps that were developed for the app store quickly run out of memory in many cases when you do multiple things. I guess they try to enable each app to use max resources so the developers don't spend much time on memory management. Jailbroken apps run without a problem though. This is one of the best apps to arise for the iphone.

Some ideas for an update:

Being able to universally turning it on by default and having to hold for a second to actually close an app(a lot like some 3rd party winmo managers). And maybe like a triple tap to see a process list that you can kill on the fly. Just some ideas.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dieburnbot's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't like this app at all. It seems like a resource hog. I installed the newest Categories (v2.20) and it comes packaged with Backgrounder and my mail and phone apps both got this weird annoying lag to them. I didn't even have anything set to run in the background. As soon as I uninstalled Categories and Backgrounder everything was back up to speed. I downloaded the older version of Categories (v2.18) that doesn't come packaged with Backgrounder and there was no slowdown.

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of the app it just causes too much lag on my phone for me to want to use it. It would probably be better if a toggle could be added to Boss Prefs or something so that you can turn it off if you aren't using it, kind of like how SSH has one.
    Last edited by dieburnbot; 10-07-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dieburnbot View Post
    I don't like this app at all. It seems like a resource hog. I installed the newest Categories (v2.20) and it comes packaged with Backgrounder and my mail and phone apps both got this weird annoying lag to them. I didn't even have anything set to run in the background. As soon as I uninstalled Categories and Backgrounder everything was back up to speed. I downloaded the older version of Categories (v2.18) that doesn't come packaged with Backgrounder and there was no slowdown.

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of the app it just causes too much lag on my phone for me to want to use it. It would probably be better if a toggle could be added to Boss Prefs or something so that you can turn it off if you aren't using it, kind of like how SSH has one.
    I agree, my battery also seems to not last as long with this new version. Where can I download v2.18 of categories??

OK found all versions of categories here http://iphonebigboss.com/repo/repofiles/cydia/debs2.0/

but not sure how to install it....
    Last edited by djdizzy; 10-08-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djdizzy View Post
    I agree, my battery also seems to not last as long with this new version. Where can I download v2.18 of categories??

OK found all versions of categories here Index of /repo/repofiles/cydia/debs2.0

but not sure how to install it....
    It's really easy to install. I am not sure if you are on windows or mac, but it should be similar.

First SSH the categories_2.18.deb to your phone in any directory, but I would put it in / just to make it easy.

In Windows you need to download PuTTY (PuTTY Download Page) in order to get command line SSH access to the phone. If you are on mac I think you have terminal built in so you don't need to do this step. I'm not familiar with mac so I can't really help if you are on mac.

Anyway, after you install PuTTY start it up and in the main page where it says Host Name or (IP address) type in your phone's IP address, same as when you use SSH. It'll bring up a prompt type in root and alpine for the login name and password (if you didn't change them). I think on mac you have to do command-space, Terminal, enter. Then type ssh root@'your phone's ip-address' and the rest of the directions should be the same.

Then it will bring you to a prompt.

type in cd /
    and then type dir
    make sure you see categories_2.18.deb in there, if you do that means you are in the correct directory.
    now type dpkg -i categories_2.18.deb
    and it'll install just like in Cydia

After it is done just close PuTTY and reboot your phone. You can SSH into your phone and delete the .deb file from / if you want. If you want to uninstall Categories in the future it'll be in Cydia's package manager. Cydia will keep telling you to update to Categories v2.20 just ignore it.
    Last edited by dieburnbot; 10-08-2008 at 02:36 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieburnbot For This Useful Post:

djdizzy (10-08-2008), johnny69blaze (10-09-2008)

Thanks dieburnbot for that useful explanation.

But how do you safely remove backgrounder, and downgrade categories from 2.2 without losing existing categories or bricking your phone or other such dire things? do you uninstall categories through cydia first (will that lose your categories?), or what?

note: if you try to remove background through cydia it will also remove categories.

Point is now mute. A new update for Categories came out today. It no longer requires Backgrounder. Hooray! It's now an option to have Backgrounder installed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nukie For This Useful Post:

dieburnbot (10-11-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nukie View Post
    Point is now mute. A new update for Categories came out today. It no longer requires Backgrounder. Hooray! It's now an option to have Backgrounder installed.
    thanks for the heads up!

yes... I saw that, thanks. Unfortunately:

Yes, thank you very much for making backgrounder optional.

unfortunately, i have upgraded categories to 2.21, removed backgrounder, and restarted the phone, but a couple of the apps that worked before are now still crashing. i wonder if there can be any trace of the backgrounder system patch that remains, and what i might do to check this and hopefully fix it?
    -- my comment post at sleepers.

maybe someone here has some ideas? thanks.

EDIT:

ok... i provisionally retract this. the problem apps included plank (apparently known memory issues) and Manual for USA. The latter was resolved just by bringing my total installed apps down a few hunderd meg. (killed a few huge ones i'd never use). I'm still not at all sure why the total app usage should impact memory, but there you have it. (however it's also very possible that closing all 5 safari windows i had open was a factor). In any case, just reporting now that removing backgrounder doesn't seem to leave any problems as I previously suspected.

Once again thanks big boss.
    Last edited by metaclam; 10-11-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: problem not related to un-installing backgrounder, it seems

Lovely app and besides for IM,browser, I used it while playing game so I dont have to go through the long loading to continue my games if someone interrupt with a call. Multi tasking at it's best.

this program RAWKS!!! really it does. but here's a few thoughts:

A 'running programs' task manager app (or applet) would be really handy, obviously. In regards to that, heres a little bug: open an app (pandora in this case), and turn on backgrounding. you'll now be back at springboard. wait the 10 or so minutes for the app to crash its way to closed (lol). this is easy with something like pandora, because you will HEAR it crash and close when the music stops. then re-open the app and try to re-background it. now watch closely... "backgrounding now off" ??? what ??? but actually backgrounding is on again, and when you let go of home, pandora keeps playing. so. yeah. even if we don't get a task manager, we at least need the simple dialog that we DO have, to be aware of whats REALLY going on, so that it can let us know, hehe. and maybe the answer is a middle ground, where at least when we hold home and the dialog comes up it just tells us wether or not background is currently running in that app, and allows us to turn it on and off. at least then we could manage each app individually. sometimes i'm afraid i'll background something like beejive and then throw my phone in my pocket and let it eat up my battery by accident. i wish that i could at least go into beejive and SEE if its backgrounded, but to find out i have to unbackground or background and then if its unbackgrounded the app closes and then i have to log back in and RE-background it. lol. BUT ANYWAYS backgrounder IS awesome and many thanks to the Dev's, and i can't wait for updates!!

on the flipside though (lol), i really don't like watching my iphone do one of the exact things that i DESPISED about windoze mobile devices: apps in the background being "automatically" managed, which really means closing the ONE app you really need (and leaving junk open) RIGHT before you go back to it. it makes me puke a little inside my mouth. :P **shakes a fist at apple**
    Last edited by b3nny; 10-17-2008 at 03:46 AM.

i dont know but for some reason backgrounder still doesnt show up on my cydia yet. it been how long since this app was released and still no show for me...i have tried everything i possibly cud but no success yet. it seems like that the bigboss repo on cydia for me doesnt update at all???

if anyone can pls help me on this i wud be really greatful. so far i have not been successful in solving this. tried reinstalling bigboss repo too but no luck....

Default Backgrounder with skype
    Backgrounder is great for Skype and Skype In calls. I bought "3g Unrestrictor" for 2.99 on Cydia and downloaded "Backgrounder" for free. I can always leave my "Skype" up and running, ready to receive calls from other Skype users or from any phone using Skype In (There is a cost to have a Skype In number). I added Skype to always be stay alive in the background and also added the badge to the icon so I could tell if it was backgrounded.

I also use this with Google Voice (GV Mobile), free as well, and I can choose easily where I want to receive my calls... on my iPhone through AT&T or on my iPhone through Skype over 3g ;-)

SlingPlayer is also great with Backgrounder. I can stay connected to my player while "stepping away" from it for a second to look something up on my phone.
    Last edited by TheMichaelScott; 10-09-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345