+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GL Golf Released for the iPhone

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
After the long wait for Apple to review my game, GL Golf is finally available on the iTunes App store. Here is the direct link in anyone is interested -
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default GL Golf Released for the iPhone
    After the long wait for Apple to review my game, GL Golf is finally available on the iTunes App store. Here is the direct link in anyone is interested - iTunes Link .

Any feedback is welcome, this is my first program I've released on the iPhone. Some of you may have already played the Mac version here - Welcome to Nuclear Nova Software!

Porting over the game was a great and easy experience and I highly recommend it to anyone who has programmed Mac software with Cocoa.

Thanks

Looks like it has some very nice options, but the graphics don't compare to 72 Par Golf, if you want an honest opinion. Now your game play with those graphics, that's a winning game.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

I agreed with Eurisko.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamse7en's Avatar
    Thanks

You're both right, these graphics are worse than Par 72 - and to be honest, I think Par 72 graphics aren't very good - you'll see what I mean when EA Sports ports Tiger Woods golf to the iPhone.

BUT, gameplay is a LOT more important than graphics. Based on reviews, it looks like this game plays quite well. I need to get a taste of how the game plays before I shell out $8.

I would enjoy the revenue while you can - until Tiger Woods enters the App Store.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unfortunately I had to cut down some of the graphics to get it to run fast enough on the iPhone. I have several optimizations for version 1.1 so I'll be able to improve the terrain graphics. Luckily I think the gameplay turned out well, and that's the most important part. Par 72 golf doesn't even have real time 3D rendering (scroll around and see what I mean, plus the view of a shot is just a 2D overhead view), that's one reason it can look better.

I didn't even realize Tiger Woods was announced for the iPhone, I better work on this while I can before the big shots come in.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just an update, a free four hole version, GL Golf Lite, is now available on iTunes. I've also worked on the game a little for version 1.01, but I'll have to wait until November and December to optimize the game engine, add new courses, and improve the graphics.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's been a while, but here are two more updates on the GL Golf franchise -

1) GL Golf Deluxe released - Twenty-Two course for $9.99 (on a special release discount, normally $14.99) . Check it out here - http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...301557622&mt=8

2) GL Golf is now on discount to $5.99 (normally $7.99) for the same time that GL Golf Deluxe is on discount. The last update also added a sixth course. Link still in the first post of the thread.

Any feedback is welcome, especially since there is a free lite version to try.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

nuclearnova,

The graphics are fine; it's a phone, for Pete's sake. The game play is pretty good, too. I only have the 4-hole demo at the moment, but I'm tempted to upgrade to a pay version for more holes and to get rid of the ads which always seem to change at the most inopportune moments!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    nuclearnova,

The graphics are fine; it's a phone, for Pete's sake.
    LOL. Play a round of Ernie Els Golf, then come back and say the graphics are fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Napoleon, I'm glad that a large percentage of gamers still like good gameplay over good graphics. I'll keep working on both though.

Ernie Els Golf isn't even true 3D. much less taxing on the iPhones graphics system. I personally don't like it's style of graphics or gameplay, same with Par 72 golf

Thanks

It might be a large percentage nuclearnova, but it's not the majority. In truth, gamers want both game play and graphics. I don't like the game play of Ernie Els either, but its graphics on the iPhone currently can't be beat. And I don't think gamers care whether its "true" 3D or not, as long as it looks good, which currently I'm sorry to say, looks much better than yours. Your lack of motivation to create a well rounded game is starting to sound like an excuse.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry Eurisko, I just now saw your message (and subscribed to the thread). You make some good points, and I'm definitely not trying to show a lack of motivation (I'm in college and have released over 45 updates for the mac version).

I just wanted to inform anyone who subscribed to this thread that GL Golf Standard is on sale for a limited time at $0.99. After a short period of time it will return to the original $5.99 price point. I've been reluctant to drop the price, but with all of the competition on the app store I'm willing to try this price point for a short time.

I'm also giving out a few free iTunes codes for GL Golf Deluxe (USA Only, sorry but I tried to give to a user to try in another country and iTunes gave an error). If you're willing to give an HONEST review on iTunes (1 star, 5 star, doesn't matter as long as its honest) send me an email to [email protected] within the next day or two with why you deserve a code and I'll send you one if I have any left.

Again, any feedback is welcome. I'm in the process of adding a Practice mode to the game so you can try the same holes over and over again with infinite mulligans, as well as adding some other features from the mac version.