Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SwirlyMMS Released?

Quote Originally Posted by blade782 View Post
    works great on 2g iPhone with tmobile with 2.1fw
    what settings are u using?

Quote Originally Posted by RessayFlex View Post
    yes! it is currently working on my AT&T 3G Iphone with software 2.1 on it...
    how do you get them to change the IMEI from ur iphone to another phone? do you just lie and tell them you have another phone when you call?

whats this i hear about not being able to change the IMEI from a 3g iphone?

thanks

So how do you get voicemail after this?

Hi

I've installed it on my O2 UK 2.0.2 3G iPhone and it sends the message without any bother. Trouble is, when it arrives, all I get is an SMS from O2 telling me to log into their website to pick up the picture. Any way I can get around this?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by utvol1 View Post
    regular way. call AT&T vm and retrieve messages via phone prompts

Quote Originally Posted by lazer View Post
    how do you get them to change the IMEI from ur iphone to another phone? do you just lie and tell them you have another phone when you call?
    To get off of the iphone plan call up and tell them you arent using it anymore. Tell them you switched back to your old phone or something.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

If you dont want to check voice mail the old fasion way (by dialing your own number) you can use a 3rd party visual voice mail system.

YouMail is currently free to setup. They walk you through how to change it so AT&T sends missed calls to them instead.

YouMail ) Voicemail You Designed

Here's how to setup a youmail icon on your iphone home page.
    YouMail - Help

It's formatted to fit safari, and plays great via quicktime player. Youmail has a lot of powerful options for custom messages per caller ID etc.

Default SwirlyMMS Settings
    For those looking for the settings for their carrier, the SwirlyMMS site has them all here.

The Swirly iPhone MMS Application Space

I put in settings for TMobile USA, and it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectGSX View Post
    To get off of the iphone plan call up and tell them you arent using it anymore. Tell them you switched back to your old phone or something.
    even if you don't own said fake phone? they won't ask me to test anything on it, will they?

also, any other drawbacks besides losing VV? is the internet slower? can you still have access to 3G? does the fake phone i choose be ideally a 3G phone for this matter?

Thanks

Cool So maybe I'll go ahead and get MMS working on my 3G AT&T iPhone after all?
    Quote Originally Posted by RessayFlex View Post
    BUt here is the catch... you have to get someone at at&t to change your IMEI on your account to an IMEI of anything BUT an IPHONE, your best option would be to have them put one of a windows mobile phone... however, you WILL lose Visual Voice Mail

Also this is not easy to do since it probably has to be a manager that does it, so get your friendly face on and go make some friends at your local ATT store! :-D (i did).

once you get that done, then you have to have them add on a regular txt messaging plan that includes MMS. without that your phone will NOT be able to send or receive MMS on att...

a quick way to check which MMS plan you have is to log on to your account from the att web portal found here:

Cell Phones and cell phone plans - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

and check your features... you want to make sure you have a NON iphone TXT Messaging plan, look at my account... make sure that what is selected as "current" does not say iphone, if it does then you still have the iphone txt plan on your account...

once that is all done, THEN you can proceed to install and configure your SwirlyMMS app.

i used to auto configure feature, and here are the settings it put on my phone, which work flawlessly... (pic attached)

enjoy!

Interesting, so it's possible eh? If we lose AT&T visual voice mail, I'll just switch to YouMail ) Voicemail You Designed (since it's free, has custom fit iphone pages, and way more powerful anyway)

I have a top level engineering contact in AT&T that can help me. What should I tell them next to do? Here is my conversation from yesterday and the reply today.

Subject: other windows mobile phones / iPhone MMS (account?) problem

Hello (name of my AT&T contact),

I was wondering if you have the power to grant me some type of exception to over ride an account setting for me. My goal is to maintain MMS functionality as I switch my SIM card back and forth to various phones for testing purposes. (Windows Mobile, and iPhone) I currently can no longer send MMS messages. Reading around online the problem seems to be due to my iPhone. My understanding is AT&T is actively filtering iPhone users via IMEI and then some sort of iPhone Tracking Number is tied to my account. Would you have the power to make it so my account can send/receive MMS messages? Iím not sure you have a way to do it without disabling my visual voice mail. I want to test a few ***** phones with MMS. My primary phone will remain the iPhone 3G though.

Thanks!

Reply...............

Sent: September (today)
    To: Jon
    Subject: other windows mobile phones / iPhone MMS (account?) problem

Hi Jon,

i believe the MMS limitation is actually in the iPhone ROM..not at the provisioning level (no MMS means less $$ for AT&T)d I'm fairly certain they'll be enabling that in a future software update (they've been releasing new ROMs pretty furiously -- about one every 2-3 months)

Can you confirm if you put your SIM in a windows mobile phone -- that you're able to receive an MMS then? If not -- we can jump on the line with our ETS group and see what they can figure out... (ETS is at (888) XXX-XXXX pin code XXXXX)

On a side note -- sadly i was transitioned off XXXX as an account -- XXXX XXXXX (copied here) has taken my place and will be the primary contact go forward..

Many Thanks,
    **(my AT&T Engineer contact)**

__________________________________________________ ________-

my reply........

Sent: Today
    To: **(my AT&T contact)

Thanks XXXX,

I called ETS, hereís what I learned so far. (hopefully you have the power to override below?)

I called (888) XXX-XXXX pin code XXXX) Option 1 was changes to account, Option 2 is Technical Support

-Option 2(tech) said to go back to Option 1(changes) so they could put in a ticket to over ride the MMS block.

-Option 1(changes) said she couldnít put in a ticket because it would sever my itunes connection. I asked to be transferred back to Option 2(tech)

-Option 2(tech)said that the ability to activate MMS was grayed out and they couldnít activate it due to the iphone being on my account. She also said she doesnít recommend swapping sims back and forth between iphone/windows mobile since it might force me to have to resync itunes at some point.

Do you have access to over ride this grayed out option? I would like to be able to ďsendĒ MMS at the very least. Is this a lost cause? I read about other people online successfully being able to get MMS enabled even though they have iPhone accounts.

P.S.
    I donít mind if it breaks visual voice mail. Iíll just use YouMail instead. http://www.youmail.com
    http://www.youmail.com/youmail/help/faqItem.do?id=5854

Thanks,
    ~Jon
    Last edited by JazJon; 09-17-2008 at 02:56 PM.

What do you guys think I should do if i have a t-mobile sim card and am roaming on AT&T. Kind of an interesting situation, I know.

So if you call and tell att that you do not have an iphone anymore, your iphone still works? I thought that your sim was activated to work specifically for the iphone 3g. Also if they do let you do that, can you remove the 30.00 data plan off of your plan?

......epic

Quote Originally Posted by imbuggin View Post
    what settings are u using?

MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS-APN: wap.voicestream.com
    User: empty
    Pass: empty

How do you know if you have a voicemail when you get one?

+1, thats a good question. I still dont see how the phone still works. If this method works as they say that it does, anyone could call and say that they dont have the iphone anymore and save at least 30.00 a month on the data plan unless they use it a lot and would want to keep it. But you could also switch to cheaper plans.

......epic

Well it is working for me, and I can call and leave a voicemail, but it doesnt alert me on my phone that i have a voicemail.

Thanks

Well it is working for me, and I can call and leave a voicemail, but it doesnt alert me on my phone that i have a voicemail.
    If you switch to YouMail, you can add a few options for notification, text messaeg, email, etc.

So did you just call and tell them that you got rid of your iphone? Did they question you about anything?

......epic

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blade782 View Post
    MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS-APN: wap.voicestream.com
    User: empty
    Pass: empty
    settings for tmobile are as follows:
    mmsc: http://216.165.50:8080/servlets/mms
    proxy: 216.155.165.050:8080
    apn: wap.voicestream.com
    user: leave blank
    pass: leave blank

i can confirm that this works on 2.1 on tmobile. make sure you are using lowercase and reboot when you enter the settings
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

Quote Originally Posted by mtwiford View Post
    So if you call and tell att that you do not have an iphone anymore, your iphone still works? I thought that your sim was activated to work specifically for the iphone 3g. Also if they do let you do that, can you remove the 30.00 data plan off of your plan?
    Your phone will still work - you just lose visual voicemail. That is how all non-ATT iphone users are still able to function. Anyone at T-Mobile, for example, does not have "special iphone service". They just have regular old phone service.

Tell them you dont have an iphone anymore and you want to revert to normal phone service. Just make sure you get a proper data plan and then add the messaging plan.

People doing this (and sayign they swap sims) generally have to call 3 or 4 times before they get an operator who can or will make this change. Be prepared.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast