+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Back up for all your Cydia Apps

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Just released in Cydiais a new app which creates a list of everything you have installed through Vydia. When you next back up your iPhone up with iTunes this list
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Back up for all your Cydia Apps
    Just released in Cydiais a new app which creates a list of everything you have installed through Vydia. When you next back up your iPhone up with iTunes this list is backed up as well. So next time you have to restore or upgrade you restore from Itunes install BackUp and Cydia will install all the apps/mods on the list.

Well I hope that made some sence, and if it works is another story, but I'm certainly going to give it a try.

It can be found in changes in Cydia.

IphoneCrazy

P.S. It's called AptBackUp by the way.
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 09-12-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Real_Iphonecrazy For This Useful Post:

BillSplate (08-18-2010), CALBUILD (12-14-2008), soursoap (07-06-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks cool. I assume, that when we upgrade to say, 2.1, we need to still have Cydia on our iphone to use this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shinner23 View Post
    Looks cool. I assume, that when we upgrade to say, 2.1, we need to still have Cydia on our iphone to use this.
    AFAIK, that is correct.

In order to upgrade, you would have to (on a jailbroken phone or ipod touch):
    1. Install AptBackUp
    2. Run it
    3. Sync with iTunes in order for iTunes to back up your setup
    4. PWN or QuickPWN ur iPhone with the new firmware
    5. Restore your settings
    6. Run Cydia to install AptBackUp again
    7. Run AptBackUp and click restore

Is that right Real_Iphonecrazy?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is there a way to ssh into the phone and download the data for this app? I like to do a fresh install every time I upgrade and it would be nice to be able to install ssh, copy the backup file and then run the restore. Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Does it also copy the repo information?

Thanks

Yea, what the repo info. That takes forever re-entering all my repo's.

420 break...
    Last edited by stlcaddie; 09-13-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm reading this from the "More Details" page on it:

"Backup and restore your apps from Cydia. The way this works is it makes a list of your installed apps and puts that list in a location that is under iTunes backup. When you sync with iTunes, that list is stored. After you restore your iPhone in iTunes, you install aptbackup from Cydia, run it, and hit restore, and it will automatically reinstall all your apps in your list. You can also set up one iPhone and use this as a template for setting up others with one click.

What this will not do:
    1) Actually backup your apps or their settings
    2) Backup your springboard file placement
    3) You cannot restore a backup "whenever." It is only for restoring a backup after a fresh iTunes installation.
    "

Now, further down this page, there is another string of text:

"This app will backup your Cydia installed app list. This does not back up your actual apps or apps settings. But it is close. It will make a list of everything you installed from Cydia and back that up. Whe you restore, it will reinstall all the packages in one step. The list is stored with other settings files and backed up with iTunes. After you restore your iPhone and restore your backup in iTunes, run and restore function here, and it should find and restore your apps.

- BigBoss & Chris Featherstone -

[Backup] [Restore]"

The text above is actually from the app itself.

From what I can tell, it simply copies your Installed list, and when you go back, this program will read the list, goes into Cydia for you, and downloads each item, one by one. It's not necessarily putting all your apps and whatnot back on the iPhone/iPod, however, it will download everything for you again. It beats doing it manually.

I'm about to upgrade to 2.1, so I'm going to give this a whirl.

EDIT Really, now? I just upgraded to 2.1, installed AptBackup again, hit restore, and said, "Restore can only happen after a backup has been performed and the iPhone has been restored."

Yea, definitely didn't work. Guess it's going to be a Cydia-day for me...
    Last edited by Nintendo Tim; 09-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

im backing up my phone in itunes right now.

it seems to me that you need to hit the restore button in the back up app on the phone, then make a backup from itunes. when you install new FW software on your phone, you install the app again, then hit restore.

ill try it when winPwn comes out for 2.1 and let everyone know.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What I want to know is what exactly is needed to back up the list in itunes, a complete backup or just a sync. Some of us just sync sometimes to avoid the whole backup process. Will that work like that? Or a full backup is needed?

Green Apple
    Thanks

This thread gives some detail...

It seems to be a simple "manual" way of backing up the list of installed apps and reinstalling after a FW update..

Thanks

i read some where that you should never restore old back up after winpwn
    so how will this work ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    i read some where that you should never restore old back up after winpwn
    so how will this work ?
    2 of the 3 times Ive updated my phone now I have restored from a backup afterwards and had no ill effects at all.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

has anyone actually gotten this to work then? i'm still on 2.0.1 because i haven't had time (the 4+ hours it typically takes me...) to upgrade/pwn 2.1. this seems like it would save me a lot of time...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    has anyone actually gotten this to work then? i'm still on 2.0.1 because i haven't had time (the 4+ hours it typically takes me...) to upgrade/pwn 2.1. this seems like it would save me a lot of time...
    Worked perfectly for me on my restore yesterday. It doesn't run inside of Cydia, you'll just be given a message that the app will now reinstall all your previous applications and then reset the device.

Thanks

i LOVE this app. just restored with it today for the first time... and it saved me TONS of time!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz

Thanks

i take back my last comment.

the past two times i've had to restore, i used aptbackup afterwards... and all it did was re-screw up my iphone, causing me to have to restore a second time and then do it all by hand.

so in other words... the past two restores have taken twice as long because of this app.

i'm not pleased.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    i take back my last comment.

the past two times i've had to restore, i used aptbackup afterwards... and all it did was re-screw up my iphone, causing me to have to restore a second time and then do it all by hand.

so in other words... the past two restores have taken twice as long because of this app.

i'm not pleased.
    same here. aptbackup said it backed up my appslsit. i restored, then upgraded following bigboss's guide. afterwards, i ran aptbackup, hit restore and it reported that it could only work after a restore of my iphone.

hopefully an update of the program will work for me in the future.

Thanks

why would be cool is a way to, like us windows users do, kinda make an Image of your iPhone to upload via ssh after a restore. This is kinda doing that but not really. It does suck having to install allllll your apps and settings for jb once you restore.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
    why would be cool is a way to, like us windows users do, kinda make an Image of your iPhone to upload via ssh after a restore. This is kinda doing that but not really. It does suck having to install allllll your apps and settings for jb once you restore.
    Man that's WTF I'm talkin about! That's how I do it on my PC, just make an image via norton ghost in DOS mode, then whenever my computer starts acting up, just reboot and restore image and voila like brand new again

That would be sexy if something like that were possible on the iphone. I HATE reinstalling all my cydia apps and having to go thru and change each and every little custom setting after every FW upgrade

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Gents... there is a terminal command.... isn't it
    Windows(ian) here.
    I'm no guru- I'm looking to do this without the APT(thing) backup, more with the terminal> I want to copy all my sources and package infos somwhere and dump it back afterworth (fw upgrade). Can anyone shed some lights on the terminal commands to do this... I crashed by a forum for that somewhere but... have u ever over looked somthing then when u need it u can't find it anywhere?

JBroken 2.2.1 to OS 3.0 3G here (not yet updated)

Hey wrorte this a minute too fast.
    here it is (check this out)
    Last edited by Metal-Geek; 06-26-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost