+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SpringDial - speed dial for your SpringBoard

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
SpringDial - speed dial for you SpringBoard. Version: 0.998b SpringDial puts speed dials of your contacts on the SpringBoard of a jailbroken iPhone. The advantage of this over using the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default SpringDial - speed dial for your SpringBoard
    SpringDial - speed dial for you SpringBoard.

Version: 0.998b

SpringDial puts speed dials of your contacts on the SpringBoard of a jailbroken iPhone. The advantage of this over using the Webclip method is that it is more of a true speed dial. Safari doesn't have to load, and you are not asked to confirm the call. If you happen to have a photo for the contact in your Address Book (Windows users can edit the contact on the iPhone to add a photo), then it is what is used as the icon for the contact.

http://springdial.mineshaftgap.net

Features Summary:
    • Now installable from community sources.
    • Speed dials now can still function if you uninstall SpringDial. You must select this mode, as the default is to remove all speed dials on uninstall.
    • In order to help solve bugs with the many different jailbreak environments users can now send feedback including a debug log, from SpringDial itself. Feedback and logs are only submitted with the user's authorization and no personal information is included. If the application won't launch, you can submit this from the command line: /Applications/SpringDial.app/SpringDial --sendDebug "My Email, my message"
    • Show the image of the contact so you can dial by image
    • The created SpringDial apps are quite small since they only use space for the plist and contact image (shrunk to 60x60).
    • SpringDial vs Phone->Favorites
      • Less clicks then Phone->Recents->Contact
      • Has an image of the contact
      • Limited only by the number of apps you can display
    • SpringDial vs WebClip tel:
      • Image is added automatically if available
      • Don't have to wait for Safari to load - Don't have to confirm to place the call

The easiest way to install it is to add the community sources repo. If you want to be sure to have access to the very latest add "http://i.mineshaftgap.net/" as a repo.

Thanks,

Kenn

******** UPDATE ********
    SpringDial creates new applications on your SpringBoard (really they are just what I call SymApps since everything but the plist and icon are symlinks), but because of this it would be very easy to go over the 80 application limit of SpringBoard. If this happens SpringBoard might fail to load, SummerBoard does not have this limitation. You are warned in SpringDial if you already have 80+ applications.

Questions, bugs, features? If you can, please submit them through the new "Feedback" button in SpringDial. If the application won't launch, you can submit this from the command line: /Applications/SpringDial.app/SpringDial --sendDebug "My Email, my message". If for some reason you can't use that method, email me here: springdial AT-SIGN mineshaftgap DOT net. Please let me know what jailbreak method (if you remember) you used and if you are running SpringBoard or SummerBoard.

Also I would love to see examples of this being used, so send snapshots of your SpringDial.

The current icon for SpringDial was really just an after thought, after all I am a dev and not a designer . I encourage anyone to submit icons that they find more apropos.
    Last edited by mineshaftgap; 03-16-2008 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Feature updates

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mineshaftgap For This Useful Post:

Comet13579 (03-17-2008), emx620 (03-10-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm on 1.1.1 and running Summerboard. When I dialed the first number created with the app, the screen went black and I couldn't do anything with the phone for about 10 seconds. Then the regular calling screen appeared and I was able to cancel the call (I was calling my home number as a test). Since then I have tried three additional numbers and nothing unusual happened. The calls went through fine and nothing weird happened with the screen. So I'm not sure what the problem was with the first number.

So far it seems like a great app. Thank you!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Love it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

This with categories would actally be really awesome!

Thanks

Bug?

Doesn't seem to recognize (in the list to choose a number from) contacts which only have either a first or last name only.

Example - I have a few contacts such as DAD, HOME, MOM etc.

These don't show up in the list.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Smile love it
    Quote Originally Posted by mineshaftgap View Post

mineshaftgap.net

Kenn
    Thats a great address

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like the idea - but not all of my contacts are showing up to add??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macaura View Post
    I'm on 1.1.1 and running Summerboard. When I dialed the first number created with the app, the screen went black and I couldn't do anything with the phone for about 10 seconds. Then the regular calling screen appeared and I was able to cancel the call (I was calling my home number as a test). Since then I have tried three additional numbers and nothing unusual happened. The calls went through fine and nothing weird happened with the screen. So I'm not sure what the problem was with the first number.

So far it seems like a great app. Thank you!
    Macaura,

I have heard of one other person having this issue. It is incredibly hard to try and reproduce since it would need to have a phone that has never had SpringDial installed on it before. So a restore of firmware/install of SpringDial would be needed for every test. I think it might be SummerBoard related, since the other report I got was from a SummerBoard user. Since I am not running SummerBoard it is again hard to test. Please keep me informed if this happens again.

Kenn

Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post
    Bug?

Doesn't seem to recognize (in the list to choose a number from) contacts which only have either a first or last name only.

Example - I have a few contacts such as DAD, HOME, MOM etc.

These don't show up in the list.
    lgreenberg & Dakotafan,

You are right, that was from me trying to rapidly prototype the app, I will put it at the top of my bug list.
    Last edited by mineshaftgap; 02-14-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I downloaded this straight from the repo..... My phone is now stuck at the apple logo.. ****. Guess it's time for another reformat.

/sigh

In case you were wondering, I have 1.1.3 with summerboard, customize, and have moved all apps using bosstool.

Therefore, if you have the things I just named, I wouldn't advise using this under any circumstances unless you want a bricked phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hedsick,

Are you saying that SpringDial restarted your iPhone? Or after installing you reboot your iPhone and it is stuck at the Apple logo?

I am using 1.1.3 and customize. I know from others that it works with SummerBoard, but do not know about BossTool.

There is very little reason that this app would be responsible for hanging at startup, as the only thing it does outside the /var/root/Library/SpringDial or /var/mobile/Library/SpringDial is make a one symlink for each speed dial in the /Applications directory.

Kenn

Thanks

hedsick,

Another possibility is that you went over the 80 app limit, which will cause Springboard to be unable to load. If you can SSH in (or have USB access), try deleting an app or two and then rebooting.

Thanks

It stalled after installing it via installer, it never stopped spinning, then my phone restarted randomly.... and is now stuck at the apple logo.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hedsick View Post
    It stalled after installing it via installer, it never stopped spinning, then my phone restarted randomly.... and is now stuck at the apple logo.
    hedsick,

After a bit of research, it appears that this might of happened because of the different jailbreak methods that exist. A file (/usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib) that is not native to any firmware (I have checked 1.0.0 to 1.1.3) might be added or copied (from /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib which is native to all firmwares) by a jailbreak method in order to allow the mobile user to run suid executables.

If the way that your phone was jailbroken was dependent on this file, then that would explain the situation you where having, since it might of been over written during the install. The install script now makes sure that the file /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib does not exist before it tries to add a symlink from /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib -> /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib. I apologize for any inconvience that you might have suffered from this and have altered the installer script accordingly.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have installed it,on the left corner above it showed the button Creat,but none of my cantacts showed up on the page it was empty.I have 1.1.2.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babikian View Post
    I have installed it,on the left corner above it showed the button Creat,but none of my cantacts showed up on the page it was empty.I have 1.1.2.
    babikian,

Since there are many different firmwares and jailbreak methods it is quite hard to guess all the different operating environments. In order to try and debug these types of problems, I am in the process of making a simple environment reporter built into my application. I am making it so it will only be done with the user's acceptance, but it will help greatly to determine why things are behaving differently.

Thanks for you patience as I try and implement this,

Kenn

Green Apple
    Thanks

thankyou very much,my wifes number is on the homescreen now,I rennstalled it and it works prfect,all the contacts are there and very easy to use.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here's a screenshot of my Springdials so far. I decided to use names instead of pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpringDial - speed dial for your SpringBoard-photo.jpg  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great app!

But after using the 'delete' function provided even though the icon on the springboard is gone, the link is still there in the application folder when I ssh into the phone?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default SpringDial works GREAT!
    I loaded this last night and I LOVE IT!!! I'm surprised Apple didn't add this in the 1.1.3 firmware update.

Nice job Mineshaftgap.

Wudstock

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjeans View Post
    Great app!

But after using the 'delete' function provided even though the icon on the springboard is gone, the link is still there in the application folder when I ssh into the phone?!
    hey jjeans,

could you update and see if you still have the same problem? i think that it was a problem with spaces in filenames that should be fixed now. if you still have a problem could you use the "Report Bug" in the application so i can see the results?

thanks,

kenn

Quote Originally Posted by Wudstock View Post
    I loaded this last night and I LOVE IT!!! I'm surprised Apple didn't add this in the 1.1.3 firmware update.

Nice job Mineshaftgap.

Wudstock
    hey wudstock,

thanks! i was really surprised that we got webclips in 1.1.3 but not a quick way to speed dial. that was why i wrote this. i hope that we can pressure apple to include this kind of functionality natively in 1.1.4 or later since i am sure that when the SDK comes out this app will not work.

kenn
    Last edited by mineshaftgap; 02-22-2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost