Page 1 of 16 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cycorder

Default Cycorder - Free Video Recorder
    Jay Freeman the creator of Cydia releases a video recorder named Cycorder. Available via cydia.
    It is a free video recorder, but with no sound. Unlike Iphone Video Recorder this application "converts" on the fly, so there is NO waiting time after recording.
    Works very well. In the screens below it is said sound will be made available soon, but may not be free.

Last edited by Adplaya; 08-23-2008 at 01:25 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Adplaya For This Useful Post:

461am (08-22-2008), Ice9812 (08-23-2008), JEz (08-27-2008), skb875 (08-22-2008), Sullivan0930 (09-04-2008), wao1201 (08-23-2008), Welshy1969 (09-01-2008)

Thanks. Checking it out now.

/* Edit */

Wow, not bad at all! I love that it doesn't have to do a compression thing. File size is rather large though. 17 seconds is like 5mb.

I wouldn't mind an option to compress it later, but this is fine for now, picture looks great.
    Last edited by skb875; 08-22-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    wwjd

Thanks

I hope it stays free. I can live with the ads, just not with a solid price.

This is an excellent video recorder! I did not know the iPhone could produce videos at such high quality. Once they add the functions of sound, email, uploading to various sites. This will be one hot app!

and if he updates it like he does cydia i am sure we will have sound in no time

No chance of this in the App Store? But on the bright side, he isnt fleecing everyone $20 for an app. I know it is rough around the edges right now, but Im sure it will continue to be developed to have sound etc...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    No chance of this in the App Store? But on the bright side, he isnt fleecing everyone $20 for an app. I know it is rough around the edges right now, but Im sure it will continue to be developed to have sound etc...
    I don't understand why this can't be provided through the app store. The only possible reason why something like this wouldn't be there is if apple planned on rolling out something similar itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    I don't understand why this can't be provided through the app store. The only possible reason why something like this wouldn't be there is if apple planned on rolling out something similar itself.
    Well it pretty much means that, but no timetable of course so possibly for the September update but that will probably be headlined by Push notification, so I predict we will keep waiting...

Looks really promising!

Works pretty good! One note - if you plan to transfer the videos off the phone, make sure you orient it to keep the info bar (the one that says "Cycorder," space available, etc) on the top as you record (in other works make sure the home button is facing to the right) otherwise the video is rotated within the saved .mov file. I had held the phone upright (home button down) when I recorded my first video and when I watched it back on the laptop, it was rotated 90* counter-clockwise. Small bug I think, but I'm sure that'll get touched up in the future.

2 megs for 12 seconds leads me to believe this isn't exactly being transcoded, bur rather just encapsulated in a .mov wrapper like Showtime did. The only difference in this case is that Cycorder adjusts the RGB differences on-the-fly rather than requiring a desktop tool to fix the video file for local playback like Showtime had.

Very clean for a first release, and I hope for some sort of premium version because I hate to view ads in my apps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to x999x For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (09-07-2008)

I'd rather have compression to make the file size smaller, like iPhone Video Recorder. Then it's easier to share that video later via whichever site you choose.

In iPhoneVideoRecorder, I just take all the video I want, cancel the encoding process, then do it later when I'm not using my phone.

how can i get the videos off my phone? what folder is it in, in SSH?
    iPhone 3G

Quote Originally Posted by iamse7en View Post
    I'd rather have compression to make the file size smaller, like iPhone Video Recorder. Then it's easier to share that video later via whichever site you choose.

In iPhoneVideoRecorder, I just take all the video I want, cancel the encoding process, then do it later when I'm not using my phone.
    Same here. I don't bother with encoding anything until I'm doing something else and I just let it go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fabianv View Post
    how can i get the videos off my phone? what folder is it in, in SSH?
    /var/mobile/Media/Videos

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

platinumpresto.info (09-14-2008), Welshy1969 (09-01-2008)

Default Cycorder vs. Showtime
    Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    2 megs for 12 seconds leads me to believe this isn't exactly being transcoded, bur rather just encapsulated in a .mov wrapper like Showtime did. The only difference in this case is that Cycorder adjusts the RGB differences on-the-fly rather than requiring a desktop tool to fix the video file for local playback like Showtime had.

Very clean for a first release, and I hope for some sort of premium version because I hate to view ads in my apps.
    Cycorder is doing realtime MJPEG compression, which is similar to what you get in a standard point and shoot digital still camera that also happens to do video. For comparison, Showtime created a 16MB video file for 4s of video. Cycorder's compression is definitely worthwhile, its just not amazing (although the video quality from iPhone Video Recorder seems abysmal).

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

Adplaya (08-23-2008), wao1201 (08-23-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Cycorder is doing realtime MJPEG compression, which is similar to what you get in a standard point and shoot digital still camera that also happens to do video. For comparison, Showtime created a 16MB video file for 4s of video. Cycorder's compression is definitely worthwhile, its just not amazing (although the video quality from iPhone Video Recorder seems abysmal).

!!!! saurik just replyed in my thread! Hahaha. Great work man, on Cydia and Cycorder. And I JUST NOW caught the CYdia and CYcorder connection.

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, mjpeg is definitely better than a raw file in the long run.

With regards to the video quality of IVR, its currently not possible to select the best encoding settings due to a GUI bug :P Back on 1.1.4, I found the best quality level to be less troubled by visible compression boxes.

As for Cycorder, I do hope you offer a premium version at a little more competitive price just for the legions of people who are bound to complain if its above the 12-15 dollar mark. If you consider the inline sponsored ads you're using as a long term medium, you may want to consider the typical trends of online marketing. Any new venture is going to pay the most for the simple reason of getting as many people on board to push their ads. Once their venture capital dries up and its time to do the numbers, those lucrative payouts for Impressions, Click Throughs, and Sales are going to stabilize and undoubtedly be lower than what you are already receiving. I deal with online marketing quite a bit in my profession, the big 3, Google/Yahoo/MSN, and can tell you that unless you're getting paid for impressions, don't put all your eggs in the click through or sales basket just yet.

Cheers on the work, its impressive to say the least, but please do think about a premium version sans ads at a competitive price versus whats currently available.

Thanks again for your community support, you really gave 2.0 some legs this time around

23. The Following User Says Thank You to x999x For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (09-07-2008)

Default Cycorder Ad Monetization
    Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    Cheers on the work, its impressive to say the least, but please do think about a premium version sans ads at a competitive price versus whats currently available.

Thanks again for your community support, you really gave 2.0 some legs this time around
    What is the price point you would recommend? For the record, the last time I tried to price out Cycorder I chose something less than $12.

turn airplane mode on will recording gets no add... lol cool app. nice work

Page 1 of 16 123 11 ... LastLast