Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SwapMusicLibrary app

Lightbulb New SwapMusicLibrary app to sync with iTunes on 2 PCs
    Hello,

I just created and uploaded a new app to the download section: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=475

Check it out, it's been very useful for me. What it does is allow you to sync your music/video library on your iphone to more than just on PC/Mac.

In my case I have different videos and music both on my home PC and my work PC. And unfortunately, iTunes does not allow you to sync music/video to more than one PC.

So until there is a software like Floola, Poddox or Sharepod for the iPhone, I created a very simple solution. This iphone app simply switches to a different itunes music library on your iphone. You can then sync your iphone with another computer, without erasing the other library, which is safely backed up somewhere else!

Then every time your run the app, it quickly swaps the two libraries! Just be sure to swap to the correct library before you sync.

That's all I needed!

In the future, I might improve it to allow for more than 2 libraries but I don't have an urgent need for it right now.

The code is extremely simple (a bash script) so don't be afraid to tweak it to your liking. I actually encourage you to have a look at swapMusicLibrary.sh to see what it's doing (kill the music player process, then move folders around).

Be sure to back up your music library before you try it, just in case something goes wrong. It works great on my iPhone but of course, this comes with no guarantees whatsoever and use it at your own risk.

As with other apps, to install, you need to jailbreak, install ssh (see guides section), unzip this file, copy the folder SwapMusicLibrary.app to your /Applications folder, chmod files to 0755 and restart the iphone. I'll try and create a package for the excellent iphone Installer app when I get a chance.

Comments/suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Philippe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -default.png  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shaialud; 08-22-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: more descriptive title

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaialud For This Useful Post:

crbueno (02-06-2008), Tubbyisking (10-22-2007)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sounds pretty sweet, and deffiently something worth having on my device... will give it a shot.

Works pretty damn good man....Sweet App... if only it was possible to merge the music and videos together and then sync to either PC and all merges together.
    Last edited by SiLeNtKiLLa; 08-22-2007 at 02:06 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SiLeNtKiLLa For This Useful Post:

shaialud (08-22-2007)

Smile SwapTunes now available on the iphone Installer
    A quick update: I renamed this app from SwapMusicLibrary to SwapTunes. And it is now available on the iphone Installer as a package. Thanks to smxy.org for hosting it.

Also, here are some more detailed instructions for it: http://smxy.org/iphone-apps/info/SwapTunes.html

Great application and thanks for the effort. If you dont mind i was just curious on how to get an app on installer.app ? Where do you email the package too?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to exoram For This Useful Post:

shaialud (08-25-2007)

thats cool but all you have to do is create a playlist and drag songs on that and have that add music to your phone. If I synced my music library I'd fill up my phone about 15 times

Quote Originally Posted by shaialud View Post
    Hello,

I just created and uploaded a new app to the download section: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=475

Check it out, it's been very useful for me. What it does is allow you to sync your music/video library on your iphone to more than just on PC/Mac.

In my case I have different videos and music both on my home PC and my work PC. And unfortunately, iTunes does not allow you to sync music/video to more than one PC.

So until there is a software like Floola, Poddox or Sharepod for the iPhone, I created a very simple solution. This iphone app simply switches to a different itunes music library on your iphone. You can then sync your iphone with another computer, without erasing the other library, which is safely backed up somewhere else!

Then every time your run the app, it quickly swaps the two libraries! Just be sure to swap to the correct library before you sync.

That's all I needed!

In the future, I might improve it to allow for more than 2 libraries but I don't have an urgent need for it right now.

The code is extremely simple (a bash script) so don't be afraid to tweak it to your liking. I actually encourage you to have a look at swapMusicLibrary.sh to see what it's doing (kill the music player process, then move folders around).

Be sure to back up your music library before you try it, just in case something goes wrong. It works great on my iPhone but of course, this comes with no guarantees whatsoever and use it at your own risk.

As with other apps, to install, you need to jailbreak, install ssh (see guides section), unzip this file, copy the folder SwapMusicLibrary.app to your /Applications folder, chmod files to 0755 and restart the iphone. I'll try and create a package for the excellent iphone Installer app when I get a chance.

Comments/suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks Exoram, and Silentkilla. To have an app available as an installer package, I had it hosted by smxy.org. Check out the website for the email address to contact: http://smxy.org/iphone-apps/info

Drunkbass, either I don't understand what you are saying, or you missed the point. I also do not sync my entire music library to my iphone, only a few playlists and a few videos. But with SwapTunes, the difference is that I can do that on 2 computers, not just one. I have some movies on my PC at home, which are not on my PC at work, but some music at work, which are not on my home PC. With SwapTunes, I can sync to both PCs and have my choice of music and movies from each PC on my iphone. I do not know of another way of doing that. Let me know if I am missing something.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoneHero's Avatar
    Thanks

i love your app. stroke of genius! but I have a problem. :-/ I uploaded some songs from my buddy's mac....most of which were purchased, and after syncing the purchased songs don't play but the normal ones do. it may be something I did wrong, but i figured i'd ask you as well for any insights. cheers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneHero For This Useful Post:

shaialud (08-27-2007)

Love this app. Great work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to custom2005altima For This Useful Post:

shaialud (08-27-2007)

great App.. do you or anyone happen to know where the photo's that are synced with itunes are stored? something like this would be very helpful for photo library's... should be a simple matter of changing the locations in ur sh script. Any one know the locations?

THanks

EDIT:

Figured it out... just change SwapMusicLibrary.sh as follows

#!/bin/bash

if [ -e /var/root/Media/Photos_2 ]
    then
    mv /var/root/Media/Photos /var/root/Media/Photos_temp
    mv /var/root/Media/Photos_2 /var/root/Media/Photos
    mv /var/root/Media/Photos_temp /var/root/Media/Photos_2
    else
    mv /var/root/Media/Photos /var/root/Media/Photos_2
    fi

exit 1
    you can also change some of the nameing in the app... anywhere it was "SwapMusicLibrary" change it to "SwapPhotoLibrary"

if requested and i have shaialud's permission, i'll post the SwapPhoto app here...
    Last edited by yomommanow; 08-27-2007 at 11:08 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to yomommanow For This Useful Post:

shaialud (08-27-2007)

Exclamation swapPhoto
    Great idea yomommanow! Sure, post SwapPhoto here. BTW, in a later version of SwapTunes (renamed from SwapMusicLibrary), in the else statement, I also create an empty iTunes_Control folder with a mkdir command. This way, if the very first time, you click twice on the app without syncing in between, it will still work fine. Without it, you may encounter issues because the 2nd time, you try to move a folder that doesn't exist. I suggest you do the same for swapPhoto.

Quote Originally Posted by yomommanow View Post
    great App.. do you or anyone happen to know where the photo's that are synced with itunes are stored? something like this would be very helpful for photo library's... should be a simple matter of changing the locations in ur sh script. Any one know the locations?

THanks

EDIT:

Figured it out... just change SwapMusicLibrary.sh as follows

you can also change some of the nameing in the app... anywhere it was "SwapMusicLibrary" change it to "SwapPhotoLibrary"

if requested and i have shaialud's permission, i'll post the SwapPhoto app here...
    Thanks!
    About the purchased music, I must admit, I didn't try my app with DRM protected content! So I'm not sure what happens then! Does this happen on only one of the two libraries, or on both?
    I'll see if I can reproduce and find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneHero View Post
    i love your app. stroke of genius! but I have a problem. :-/ I uploaded some songs from my buddy's mac....most of which were purchased, and after syncing the purchased songs don't play but the normal ones do. it may be something I did wrong, but i figured i'd ask you as well for any insights. cheers.
    Last edited by shaialud; 08-27-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Here it is... SwapPhoto.app

if you do the SCP install, dont forget to set swapPhotoLibrary.sh to 0755 so it is executable

http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3303
    Last edited by yomommanow; 08-27-2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added link...

anyone have issues on 1.02 firmware? i run the app, but it never swaps out libraries.

works fine for me, i'm on 1.02.

figured it out -dumb mistake. i hadn't re-installed the binkit after upgrading firmware, so ps wasn't working. works perfect now!

Default Help with SwapTunes
    shaialud,

I PM'd you because my account wouldn't allow me to reply to posts, so i reregistered -- i now re-pose my question.

I installed SwapTunes on my iphone and i cannot get it to swap LIB files.
    after running the app i can still see my music files.

I installed it on another's Iphone -- still the same thing....

I installed Squid to view the directory where the files are being swapped and i only see the single "iTunesControl" folder - i don't see a "iTunesControl_2" folder - so i guess the script is not making the second folder.

Any thoughts as to why it is not working?
    Last edited by jfischetti22; 08-30-2007 at 12:36 PM.

I am getting the same problem. I installed the BIN kit and this app using iBrick. They app just closes again after 10 seconds. It shows the icon and says its swapping, but the other folders are never made, so it never swaps. Im using 1.01

Also, it would be REAL f*cking cool if it asked for a pass key before swapping that way some things could stay hidden unless we unlock them. Alot of people want to play with my iPhone so I feel like I can't have anything private (Toto Album).

Had to uninstall then reinstall the BIN kit. Works now
    Last edited by Vic-Viper; 08-31-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Once it is uninstalled the iPod doesn't find my Library..
    I keep trying to swap back and forth it just doesn't seem to work..

Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problems otheres are having.
    I'm using iBrickr to install, when I click on swap tunes, it goes through the process of "swapping libraries", but when I check on my ipod, my playlists are still there.
    Any suggestions? I've tried uninstalling and installing over, without success.
    Thanks

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwan View Post
    I'm having the same problems otheres are having.
    I'm using iBrickr to install, when I click on swap tunes, it goes through the process of "swapping libraries", but when I check on my ipod, my playlists are still there.
    Any suggestions? I've tried uninstalling and installing over, without success.
    Thanks
    do you have bsd subsystems if not try that that fixed mine

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm stil tryng to learn about modding iphones. Can you tell me what bsd subsystems is?

Figured it out. Thanks for directing me to the right place.
    I installed "installer'. then installed subsystems, then installed swap tunes via installer and now it works.
    Last edited by kwan; 09-03-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast