Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SwapMusicLibrary app

Threaded View

Lightbulb New SwapMusicLibrary app to sync with iTunes on 2 PCs
    Hello,

I just created and uploaded a new app to the download section: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=475

Check it out, it's been very useful for me. What it does is allow you to sync your music/video library on your iphone to more than just on PC/Mac.

In my case I have different videos and music both on my home PC and my work PC. And unfortunately, iTunes does not allow you to sync music/video to more than one PC.

So until there is a software like Floola, Poddox or Sharepod for the iPhone, I created a very simple solution. This iphone app simply switches to a different itunes music library on your iphone. You can then sync your iphone with another computer, without erasing the other library, which is safely backed up somewhere else!

Then every time your run the app, it quickly swaps the two libraries! Just be sure to swap to the correct library before you sync.

That's all I needed!

In the future, I might improve it to allow for more than 2 libraries but I don't have an urgent need for it right now.

The code is extremely simple (a bash script) so don't be afraid to tweak it to your liking. I actually encourage you to have a look at swapMusicLibrary.sh to see what it's doing (kill the music player process, then move folders around).

Be sure to back up your music library before you try it, just in case something goes wrong. It works great on my iPhone but of course, this comes with no guarantees whatsoever and use it at your own risk.

As with other apps, to install, you need to jailbreak, install ssh (see guides section), unzip this file, copy the folder SwapMusicLibrary.app to your /Applications folder, chmod files to 0755 and restart the iphone. I'll try and create a package for the excellent iphone Installer app when I get a chance.

Comments/suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Philippe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Default.png 
Views:	413 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	985  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shaialud; 08-22-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: more descriptive title

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaialud For This Useful Post:

crbueno (02-06-2008), Tubbyisking (10-22-2007)