+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SwapMusicLibrary app

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Some people seem to be having issues with SwapTunes installation. Here are some suggestions of things to try if you run into problems: If the app takes a long time
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Some people seem to be having issues with SwapTunes installation. Here are some suggestions of things to try if you run into problems:

If the app takes a long time to run (more than 1 sec or 2), then it's a good indicator that something is wrong and that the libraries are not being swapped.

Version 0.01 from the iphone installer actually had that issue (fixed in 0.02). The problem was that for some reason the sh script file had some wrong return carriage characters that the iphone didn't like. It probably had something to do with the fact that I'm using windows, and the person hosting the app package for the installer uses mac. He had to fix those return carriage chars to solve the issue. (I think you can use dos2unix for that)

Another common issue is that this app requires unix tools on the iphone (ps and mv), which can be installed via the iphone installer app (BSD Subsystem package).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had BSD installed but still couldn't get the app to work.

FIXED! I went in with the FINDER app and created a new folder called iTunesControl_2 with the same internal folder structure as the original iTunesControl folder -- the app worked fine after that.

Now the app swaps the iTunesControl folders really quickly (1-2 seconds)

AWESOME!

Green Apple
    Thanks

after installing mp3s on both setups.. neither work for me.. sometimes when i reboot the iphone a few times the 2nd set works.. but my orginial set.. has yet to work since i added new music..also its like it wants to play.. i hear the music player clicks once i click play on either list.. they both show up both have the correct folder structure just the ipod program wont play the music..also the first set of mmusic was from a mac and the other set was from my pc

update to my recent post.. it seems to only have problem playing mp3s with album art on the iphone itself.. ones without play perfect.. pretty weird if you ask me.. any help guys?

bumpe
    Last edited by TOXiN; 09-06-2007 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Toxin, I haven't seen or heard of that problem before. Very strange. I have album art on most of my songs and they play just fine. I have two PCs though, not a Mac and a PC. Not sure that it would matter. Maybe some strange corruption. You could try erasing both libraries (iTunes_Control folders) and starting over (after backing up), first with one library, then with two. Can't think of any better ideas.

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks man! ill try and do that.. maybe its because of the mac and pc.. or maybe it was something i did.. thank you so much! if i find anything else out after doing this.. ill let you know! thanks bro

ok updated. deleted the one that worked sometime then uploaded my set of mp3s on it that i had on the 2nd folder and now the 2nd folder is the only working mp3 libary.. haha weird..
    Last edited by TOXiN; 09-06-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Itunes 7.4
    With the new Itunes custom ringtones get deleted. It would be nice if this swap app could swap out /Library/Ringtones also. Maybe I will add that myself if its easy to change the script idk.
    Also, DO NOT jailbreak with Itunes 7.4 if you have not already jailbreak'd or you want to restore before the upgrade and rejailbreak. This WILL brick your iphone and kernel panic it repeatedly when you try to hard reset !

Update:
    I got a working version together that swaps your music library and your ringtones in and out at the same time. I just have to make sure it works with 7.4 and then i should have a copy up for the masses later!
    Last edited by mavic; 09-07-2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Iam having a problem with swaptunes also, I tried installing bsd still doesnt work. Itunes says i only have 1.5 free (8g) where is the original file with all my songs,videos so i can get rids of it and resync? Please help. I would like to get rid of the app all together but cant get the free space to do it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK:
    If you want to use iTunes 7.4 and have swaptunes swap your ringtones out so u don't loose them change your swaptunes.sh file to something like this:

#!/bin/bash

if ps wwx | grep MobileMusicPlayer | grep -vq grep
    then
    kill -9 `ps wwx | grep MobileMusicPlayer | grep -v grep | sed -e s/\?.*//`
    fi

if [ -e /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_2 ]
    then
    mv /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_temp
    mv /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_2 /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control
    mv /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_temp /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_2
    mv /Library/Ringtones /var/root/Media/Ringtones_temp
    mv /var/root/Media/Ringtones_2 /Library/Ringtones
    mv /var/root/Media/Ringtones_temp /var/root/Media/Ringtones_2
    mv /var/root/Library/Ringtones/ /var/root/Media/Newtones_temp
    mv /var/root/Media/Newtones_2 /var/root/Library/Ringtones
    mv /var/root/Media/Newtones_temp /var/root/Media/Newtones_2
    else
    mv /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_2
    mkdir /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control
    mv /Library/Ringtones /var/root/Media/Ringtones_2
    mkdir /Library/Ringtones
    fi

exit 1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3 library support?
    First of all, this app is fantastic and was my main reason to get me to finally hack my iphone. with that being said has anyone been able to figure out how to make this work for 3 libraries. I need a library that is strictly devoted to just video that exists separately from the other two libraries I am syncing to now. Has anyone been able to accomplish this? I wish my bash skills were up to the task but I don't think I can figure it out. Thanks to the community and anyone who can help me with this.

fucheeno

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

pleasant post-weekend bump.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fucheeno View Post
    First of all, this app is fantastic and was my main reason to get me to finally hack my iphone. with that being said has anyone been able to figure out how to make this work for 3 libraries. I need a library that is strictly devoted to just video that exists separately from the other two libraries I am syncing to now. Has anyone been able to accomplish this? I wish my bash skills were up to the task but I don't think I can figure it out. Thanks to the community and anyone who can help me with this.

fucheeno
    Thanks! About the 3 library support. I can see 3 solutions:

A - Clicking on SwapTunes cycles through the 3 libraries. A little cumbersome but probably the easiest to implement.

B - There are 3 (or more) different swapTunes app, one for each library (and the icon for it shows the number of the library). Clicking on one of those apps first switch to the appropriate library (if not already on it), then launches the ipod app. As a result, the ipod app icon is not needed anymore. I think this is a simple and elegant solution which requires less clicks. But I'd need to find out how to launch and switch to the ipod app from my app. Anybody knows?

C - The swapTunes app shows a nice UI that lets you pick the library you want, or create a new one, and give friendly names to each libraries. That's nice too, but I would have to learn how to make UIs on the iphone, which sounds interesting, but given that my C skills are a little rusty, that does not seem like this would be done anytime soon!

Any opinions?

Cheers,

Philippe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shaialud For This Useful Post:

fucheeno (09-17-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default swap tunes trouble
    Maybe im just not smart, but i downloaded the swap tunes app, tapped on the icon. When i did this i didnt see the empty playlist like you said. I figured it was working so i synced the new playlist from a different computer and i think it deleted all my songs that were on my iphone. Im hopin its somewhere else like you said, but as of right now im freaking out. Please Help!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhone1118's Avatar
    Thanks

did u restart your phone after installing the app and before using it?
    I am the MacBook Pro

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaialud View Post
    Thanks! About the 3 library support. I can see 3 solutions:

A - Clicking on SwapTunes cycles through the 3 libraries. A little cumbersome but probably the easiest to implement.

B - There are 3 (or more) different swapTunes app, one for each library (and the icon for it shows the number of the library). Clicking on one of those apps first switch to the appropriate library (if not already on it), then launches the ipod app. As a result, the ipod app icon is not needed anymore. I think this is a simple and elegant solution which requires less clicks. But I'd need to find out how to launch and switch to the ipod app from my app. Anybody knows?

C - The swapTunes app shows a nice UI that lets you pick the library you want, or create a new one, and give friendly names to each libraries. That's nice too, but I would have to learn how to make UIs on the iphone, which sounds interesting, but given that my C skills are a little rusty, that does not seem like this would be done anytime soon!

Any opinions?

Cheers,

Philippe
    Wow Philippe. Thanks for getting back to me. All 3 of your ideas sound wonderful, but in my case I only need option A, which appears to be the easiest to get done. Option B and C both sound sexy but at the end of the day I don't feel they are necessary. It would be great to just click on your app twice instead of once to have access to 3 libraries!!!! So I will choose Option A which would probably be the quickest one to get off the ground.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

fucheeno

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im having the same problem, I run the app and it doesn't clear my playlist. what am i doning wrong.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same problem and i just reinstalled the bim kit and then reinstalled swap tunes and it works fine now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Talking Thanks, great app, have a suggestion
    Quote Originally Posted by shaialud View Post
    Hello,

I just created and uploaded a new app to the download section: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=475

Check it out, it's been very useful for me. What it does is allow you to sync your music/video library on your iphone to more than just on PC/Mac.

In my case I have different videos and music both on my home PC and my work PC. And unfortunately, iTunes does not allow you to sync music/video to more than one PC.

So until there is a software like Floola, Poddox or Sharepod for the iPhone, I created a very simple solution. This iphone app simply switches to a different itunes music library on your iphone. You can then sync your iphone with another computer, without erasing the other library, which is safely backed up somewhere else!

Then every time your run the app, it quickly swaps the two libraries! Just be sure to swap to the correct library before you sync.

That's all I needed!

In the future, I might improve it to allow for more than 2 libraries but I don't have an urgent need for it right now.

The code is extremely simple (a bash script) so don't be afraid to tweak it to your liking. I actually encourage you to have a look at swapMusicLibrary.sh to see what it's doing (kill the music player process, then move folders around).

Be sure to back up your music library before you try it, just in case something goes wrong. It works great on my iPhone but of course, this comes with no guarantees whatsoever and use it at your own risk.

As with other apps, to install, you need to jailbreak, install ssh (see guides section), unzip this file, copy the folder SwapMusicLibrary.app to your /Applications folder, chmod files to 0755 and restart the iphone. I'll try and create a package for the excellent iphone Installer app when I get a chance.

Comments/suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Philippe

Hey love the app,

just was wondering everytime i swap my tunes, it changes the files and cover art but the music doesnt play unless i reboot my phone, is this normal? Also is it possible to add a feature that combines both playlists together, and then splits them back again for syncing. I would love to be able to randomly play through all my music in both playlists at once, with out having to flip flop to listen to something specific in one of them. Just a thought, thanks.

Daniel

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default RE
    I think it would be easiest to stick with the simple script setup of the current app but drop a txt file somewhere letting the user know which of the 3 or 4 libraries is currently active.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok i've got swap tunes working but i can not get another computer to read my phone. the itunes will not recognize that its plugged in, neither does ibrickr. any help would be great

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Videos and Songs disappeared in my iphone, but 4GB has been occupied!
    After I installed the SwapTunes, it seems working yesterday. But today, when I tried to play the videos, it won't play the videos and the screen is blank. So I sync again, it duplicated all the files, so 4GB is now being occupied under "others" and nothing in my iphone. I wanted to find where the files are using ibrickr, mobilefinder and iphonebrower, but no luck at all. Can anyone please help?

Update: the problem can be fixed after I permanently delete the iTunes_Control_2 from the Trash using MobileFinder.
    Last edited by iDee; 10-07-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Find the solution to fix the problem.