+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [RELEASE] WbApp WinterBoard GUI

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
For those that know me, know that I will forever be hung up on theme previews. Well with WinterBoard being open source and a frickin' awesome app, here's my contribution.
    Thanks

Default [RELEASE] WbApp WinterBoard GUI
    For those that know me, know that I will forever be hung up on theme previews. Well with WinterBoard being open source and a frickin' awesome app, here's my contribution.

Let's get one thing clear - THIS DOES NOT REPLACE WINTERBOARD.

Hmm I've noticed sometimes people miss things so:

THIS DOES NOT REPLACE WINTERBOARD

In fact is does nothing without WinterBoard installed.

Okay now that that's out of the way

SUMMARY:
    WbApp - provides a theme preview for EVERY SummerBoard or WinterBoard theme you have installed and for EVERY new theme you install. It also provides a different approach to configuring your theme by using toggle switches.

TO USE:
    Launch WbApp, scroll the list of both SummerBoard and WinterBoard themes. Tap one you'd like to see a preview of (takes about 2-3 seconds the first time). Now once you are previewing the theme tap the preview to access the settings.

Screenshots ('cause I'm to friggin' lazy to make a video)

MANUAL INSTALL:
    After you copy the app to your Applications folder YOU MUST RUN ./postinst.sh OR IT WON"T FRIGGIN' WORK!
    EDIT Windows users: using Putty - the ./ command wont work, to run the script you need to enter it as
    "sh postinst.sh" (without the quotes) <- Thanks to bhz1

The updated App can be downloaded from HERE. It it works as good for everyone as it has for my 6 test devices maybe someone will put it up on Cydia. Personally don't care. I made it and wanted to share....

Edit: If you don't have the Time of Day theme installed, obviously the Time of day option does nothing.
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 08-13-2008 at 01:27 PM.
    White 3G

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CyberGreg For This Useful Post:

Apple iPie (08-13-2008), bhz1 (08-13-2008), DJ_McG (08-17-2008), GodzillaAteMyiPhone (08-13-2008), jrentzke (08-17-2008), Muggz5 (08-13-2008), oolatec (01-03-2009), Poseidon79 (08-13-2008), rotaryheadrx7 (08-14-2008), tarfan (08-13-2008), trilogy069 (08-13-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks for sharing! Will dl as soon as I get home. Looks great!

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow! Doing it now! Thanks a lot!

My iPhone is a Part of Me dirtybird1977's Avatar
    Thanks

Installed it but it shows themes that I don't even have installed and it doesn't show the preview images at all. Just shows the mock phone with nothing in it.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Thanks

Looks good but a few questions:

One, Pressing the app icon crashes back to springboard unless I change the permissions on WbApp in the app folder. I imagine I need to use terminal to run it?

Second, how do I run ./postinst.sh? Pre 2.0 I would have just used Mobile finder or file Browser but how can I do that in 2.0.1? Since as you said, the program doesnt do anything but show a nice interface. Thx! Nice work I love this, reminds me of your old iSwitcher app (but better) that I used way back when.
    Last edited by bhz1; 08-13-2008 at 10:32 AM.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

Yes just to clarify you need to ssh into your device and run the postinst.sh shell script as this sets the permissions on the folders I use properly. If you can't ssh into your device then you will not be able to run this.

If you are seeing themes that you don't have installed it means that you DID NOT follow the instructions You MUST run the postinst.sh script OR if you know how to set owners then set the Documents and the Themes subfolder to mobile and wheel

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird1977 View Post
    Installed it but it shows themes that I don't even have installed and it doesn't show the preview images at all. Just shows the mock phone with nothing in it.
    See above. I left MY plist file in the zip file so the application would launch instead of just crashing, that's why you are seeing themes you don't have.

Once it has been installed properly it writes out a new file based on YOUR themes

Edit: Just to clarify I have only tested the install from a Mac - PC users you may have extras steps to perform... sorry..
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 08-13-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    White 3G

Thanks

I'm using WinSCP to run the script and I did, but, same situation.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird1977 View Post
    I'm using WinSCP to run the script and I did, but, same situation.
    So then we can revise this: "PC users you may have extras steps to perform... sorry.."

To: PC users you WILL have extras steps to perform... sorry..

I find it interesting that there has been almost 125 downloads yet four people have posted....

Oh well...

FUTURE PLANS:
    Include adding a web preview so themes with a Wallpaper.html file will preview. I also need to add a maintenance or clean-up button that will remove the preview files for themes you no longer have installed and depending on the next update of WinterBoard, who knows what I'll be adding....
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 08-13-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    White 3G

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im new to ssh what is the exact line i have to enter once im logged in sorry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjbusa View Post
    im new to ssh what is the exact line i have to enter once im logged in sorry
    n/p

Once logged in:
    cd /Applications/WbApp.app
    now press enter
    ./postinst.sh
    now press enter

You now have to either run an app like Respring or if you're still in Terminal type

killall SpringBoard
    now press enter

Once SpringBoard relaunches, run WbApp

Last edited by CyberGreg; 08-13-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: 'cause I speeeel like a fish ;)
    White 3G

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberGreg For This Useful Post:

stlcaddie (08-13-2008)

Thanks

Got it. I was trying to use terminal on the iPhone and even thoughh i logged in as SU root it wasnt accepting the shell command. I did it in Putty and it worked. I wasnt using the correct command to run the shell. Google is my friend!

I still had to change permissions on the app (to 755) to get it to stop crashing and open.

FWIW I'm doing this on XP. The app now no longer crashes, it also shows my themes instead of yours. It also does a very nice job of changing the theme. Awesome.

Issues I am still having- could be related to SSH via an XP system
    - the interface does not preview the Winterboard apps, only Summerboard apps with the exception of my own Winterboard theme where I am using icons from an old Summerboard theme. For that theme, it will preview my icons but not may wallpaper.

I tried resetting permissions and no go.

Thanks

First off, let me say that this is a wonderful thing you have going here. I am downloading it now. Great work on the UI.

I have one question. Sorry if it is a little off topic.
    I would like to get your 2 carrier files for the mobile me you have in your carrier bar. Would it be possible to get those from you. Thanks so much.

Thanks

Finally got it to work. Don't know why though. I just kept running the script and finally it decided it wanted to work. But, I'm having the same problems as bhz1 not showing the backgrounds and only showing summerboard icons.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Got it. I was trying to use terminal on the iPhone and even thoughh i logged in as SU root it wasnt accepting the shell command. I did it in Putty and it worked. I wasnt using the correct command to run the shell. Google is my friend!

I still had to change permissions on the app (to 755) to get it to stop crashing and open.

FWIW I'm doing this on XP. The app now no longer crashes, it also shows my themes instead of yours. It also does a very nice job of changing the theme. Awesome.

Issues I am still having- could be related to SSH via an XP system
    - the interface does not preview the Winterboard apps, only Summerboard apps with the exception of my own Winterboard theme where I am using icons from an old Summerboard theme. For that theme, it will preview my icons but not may wallpaper.

I tried resetting permissions and no go.
    That is indeed odd, it works on all of my WinterBoard and SummerBoard themes, as shown in the screenshots. There ARE some WinterBoard themes, like Time of Day that DO NOT have any icons, therefor there will be no preview, however those are indeed the exception and not the norm. It could be a permissions problem. When you browse your phone can you get to your WinterBoard themes from /Library/Themes ?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix.stu View Post
    First off, let me say that this is a wonderful thing you have going here. I am downloading it now. Great work on the UI.

I have one question. Sorry if it is a little off topic.
    I would like to get your 2 carrier files for the mobile me you have in your carrier bar. Would it be possible to get those from you. Thanks so much.
    See attachment, unzip and place the folder inside the Bundles folder in whatever WinterBoard theme you want to use these.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    White 3G

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberGreg For This Useful Post:

phoenix.stu (08-13-2008)

Thanks

I reread one of CyberGreg's posts and he mentions an upcoming update to preview html wallpapers. If the theme has an html wallpaper that is probably why it isnt previewing.

As far as my own authored theme, I just noticed when I looked in WinSCP, the file extension was changed to .htmlo Odd, its a .png file that I originally used in the theme. Explains why it wont preview. Maybe the Winterboard update changed teh filename extension?

Another comment for Windows users using Putty - the ./ command wont work, to run the script you need to enter it as
    "sh postinst.sh" (without the quotes).

EDIT: Changed the extension back to .png for my WB theme and it previews just fine. Just gotta wonder why it got changed in the first place. Also, some of the themes out there do have html extensions so they will not preview (yet) ie:Color Fading Theme, as well as video wallpapers like the Surprise theme which has an mp4 extension.
    Last edited by bhz1; 08-13-2008 at 11:55 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

CyberGreg (08-13-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I reread one of CyberGreggs posts and he mentions an upcoming update to preview html wallpapers. If the theme has an html wallpaper that is probably why it isnt previewing.

As far as my own authored theme, I just noticed when I looked in WinSCP, the file extension was changed to .htmlo Odd, its a .png file that I originally used in the theme. Explains why it wont preview. Maybe the Winterboard update changed teh filename extension?

Another comment for Windows users using Putty - the ./ command wont work, to run the script you need to enter it as
    "sh postinst.sh" (without the quotes).
    I clicked the "Thanks" button and added your helpful comment to the first post - THANK-YOU!

So are your WinterBoard themes working or still a problem?
    White 3G

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

Good to see you're still around CyberGreg. Keep up the good work.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Here's a crazy idea... Why not just have this built into the app and put it out as your own modified app. I speak for myself and maybe for a few other when I say "I can do without the extra icon..."

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. Thanks for taking the time to develop this feature I'm just putting an idea out there.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

I'll toss it up on Cydia if you like and automate the script running...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

So are your WinterBoard themes working or still a problem?
    Yes, all the ones that should be, that is. A couple do have .html or .mp4 extensions , but all the .png wallpapered themes preview great. I would add that the themes that do not preview WILL install and work fine though, just no preview.

About the only other thing I'd add is I did have to manually change permissions on the WBApp file (to 755) in the WbApp.app folder to enable the program to open. Not sure if this is an issue cause by installing via WinSCP or using Putty to execute the postinst.sh script., or some weird fluke on my iphone's part. no matter, it works great.

Always glad to help out! Thx for the credit!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast