+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to iPhone

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hi, my husband and I are new to iPhone...we both had black berrys in the past. I was wondering with all these apps---how do you load them, and are they
    Thanks

Default New to iPhone
    Hi, my husband and I are new to iPhone...we both had black berrys in the past. I was wondering with all these apps---how do you load them, and are they like the apps on the black berry...do they run without being "stored" on the internet? Does it create an actual icon?

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

are u running windows or mac?
    mod edit, old signature removed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by do_i_get_one View Post
    Hi, my husband and I are new to iPhone...we both had black berrys in the past. I was wondering with all these apps---how do you load them, and are they like the apps on the black berry...do they run without being "stored" on the internet? Does it create an actual icon?
    There are two answers to both questions, yes, and no.

There are two different types of 'app' for the iPhone, there are web pages that load in the Safari web browser window, and provide some sort of application (usually a game or other standalone type function), and there are actual applications that actually run on the phone itself.

The 'apps' that run via Safari require an internet connection of some sort in order to connect to them, apps that install on the phone do not necessarily require an internet connection, unless some function of that program reads data from a server elsewhere.

For your second question about creating an icon, any application that installs onto the iPhone will include an icon, but those that load via a web page will not, at least not on their own. An enterprising person has recently created a way to create an icon that will execute a script that will open Safari on the phone and go straight to the web page specified. This is basically a cross between the above two types of application, the script itself actually functions as an application, in that it runs on the phone, but all it does is open Safari to get to the web.

Green Apple
    Thanks

along with iPhone Apper you will still need access to the phone via SSH or iPHUC in order to add these "apps" it creates.... i suggest you take an hour and read the GUIDES located at the top.... they really help alot!
    iPhone 3G 8GB (2.0.2), iPhone 2G 8GB (2.0.2)

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 15inch, 4GB Ram

Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0ghz (OC 3.8ghz)
    4gb DDR2 Ram
    500gb RAID0
    GeForce 8800GTS 640mb