+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFob 1.4 - Turn your iPhone into a social network WiFi Beacon - Amazing and free.

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iFob 1.4 - Turn your iPhone into a social network WiFi Beacon - Amazing and free.
    iFob™ from www.iCloseby.com - The World's First Real-Space Wi-Fi Social Networking Software.

For iPhone, iPod touch and Windows PCs, software turns devices into Wi-Fi homing Wi-Fi beacons, making meeting real people fun and easy.

"Why iFob? The world can be a stark, concrete-and-steel place. Maybe we go out because we want to be mildly entertained or to have our hair blown back and be able to say, 'Wow!' Maybe we want to meet each other, to share stories and more. iFob is more than just glowing screens and clicking key strokes. iFob is about the actual people who are in the same place as we are: right here, close by. In public hotspots the isolation gets so thick it chatters and hums: people sitting behind their computer screens not meeting -- typing email and chats, and clicking through profiles of virtual, distant people. iFob changes this. iFob only shows profiles of people who are so close that they can look up and smile at each other." -- Steve Saroff, co-founder of iCloseBy.com

iFob uses the built-in Wi-Fi communication of Apple iPhone, iPods and PCs, and turns these devices into homing beacons, broadcasting, or just listening, for other copies of iFob. Instead of logging onto a social networking site and searching through lists of far away strangers who may be living in virtual fantasy lands, iFob finds other people who are in the exact same location, at the exact same time, as each other. iFob cuts through the virtual loneliness that now cloaks the Net. In any public hotspot, iFob lights up and shows when anyone else with iFob walks in. Unlike social networking sites which require account creation and reviewed profiles and subscription fees, iFob is free, simple, fun and game-like. With iFob users can chat with each other, or just chose to broadcast a single line about who they are, something as simple as "Here to ski", and then change what they broadcast and share depending on the interaction from other iFob users. Unlike social networking sites such as Facebook or My Space, iFob only displays lists of iFob users who are actually in the same hotspots at the same time, meaning that iFob users who seem interesting will be close enough to look up and exchange smiles. iFob is designed to become an icebreaker to real conversations.

iFob software is a free download for the iPhone and iPod Touch, and is available as a low-cost purchase for PCs from www.iCloseBy.com
    (Detailed installation instructions further down in this post)

About iCloseBy.com: iCloseBy manufactures the iFob™ line of software products for the Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Touch, Apple OSX and Windows PCs. iFob is Wi-Fi software which turns the iPhone, iPod Touch, and laptops into social networking "beacons" which let people meet each other in any public hotspot. By only showing connections which are so close by that they could look up and smile at each other, iFob brings reality back to social networking. iFob software is available as a free download for the iPhone and iPod Touch, and is available for purchase for PC and Mac laptops from the company web site www.iCloseBy.com
    iCloseBy LLC. is located in Missoula, Montana.
    Contact information: www.iCloseBy.com [email protected]

Installing iFob on the iPhone or iPod touch:

1. You either need to have your iPod touch or iPhone updated to accept 3rd party applications, or you will need a device that has been "jailbroken" with the widely available "jailbreak" software.
    2. With your “Jailbroken” iPhone/iPod touch in hand, launch the Installer application and tap the “Sources” icon in the lower right corner. After the screen loads, tap the “Edit” button in the upper right corner. Now tap the “Add” button in the upper left corner (where the “Refresh” button usually is).
    3. You should have been prompted with an “Add Source” pop-up window that is prepopulated with “http://”. In that window you’ll add text so that your window reads as follows: "http://ifob.icloseby.com"
    4. Click “OK” and a new source will be added to your iPhone/iPod touch.
    5. Re-launch the “Installer” application and tap the “Install” icon once the application loads.
    6. Scroll down this list of Categories until you see “Social Networking”. Select this category.
    7. Here you’ll see the link to download and install iFob for free. Select “iFob” and then, on the resulting screen, tap the “Install” button in the upper right corner.
    8. After downloading and installing you must press the “Home” button (physical button in the bottom center of your device). This will return you to the starting applications screen and (after a moment) the new “iFob” icon will appear with the rest of your installed applications.
    9. You are now done installing. Try launching the application and see if anyone pops up on your screen!

iPhone/iPod touch PXL File

An iFob iPhone/iPod touch PXL file is also available at: http://www.icloseby.com/downloads/iFob.pxl

What is iFob? - iFob is software which turns iPhones & laptops into wireless Icebreaking Beacons.

You download iFob and then take about 30 seconds to put in your tagline, something like, "I like coffee," and then when you go anyplace where other people have iFob installed on their iPhones or laptops, your "I am Here" taglines get exchanged with each other.

iFob isn't a MySpace, dating or a Facebook site. iFob is not a site at all.

With iFob all the virtual crud and un-reality disappears because the broadcasting and receiving is ultra close by and local: people only see taglines of others who are in the same physical places. "See," means that your iFob software will light up and show a list of all the other iFobs who are right there, right now, in the same hotspot.

"iFob?" - A definition any small key chain thing you put in your pocket. The "i" is because it is for iPhone and iPod and you and i. Of course iFob works on PCs and Macs too, but iPC sounded too much like "I am P.C."

How iFob Works
    iFob connects iFob users to each other through any public hotspot. iFob only shows iFob users who are in the same physical location. When you see other iFob taglines on your iPhone or laptop, that means all of you are close enough to look up smile at each other.

iFob is built for Apple's wonderful iPod touch and iPhone devices. iFob also works great with any Windows XP or Mac Intel laptop.

iFob is ultra simple to use. iFob is not a techie sort of thing. There is no hassle getting or using iFob. You just download iFob and then turn it on. You only enter what you feel comfortable with entering. You can set your iFob to broadcast as well as listen, or just set it to listen. For the iPhone and iPod touch versions, iFob is free and requires no registration (there is a small charge for the PC and Mac versions). iFob has no ads, no pop-ups, no subscription fees. iFob is absolutely not crapware, shareware, demoware, sypware, hassleware, underware or any yet-to-be-named-ware. iFob is clean, fun software.

We hate required fields. We don't have no stinkin' badges*.
    With iFob, your tagline and whatever else you want to enter about yourself, is optional and simple, and you can change it as often as you like. A tagline is like a opening line at a party. "Bored and wanting to get out of here," is a more interesting then, "Desperate SWM". Of course, just like in real life, "Weird Guy Who Jumps On Tables," is probably a quick way to get ignored too, unless you chance into other table jumpers...

* The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Dobbs (Bogart): "If you're the police, where are your badges?"
    Bandit (Alfonso Bedoya): "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!!"
    Last edited by iCloseBy; 01-30-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: adding Installation Instructions

Green Apple
    Thanks

very interesting..... and weird....

interesting.

adm
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Perhaps this will take off once the SDK is in effect. for now I don't see much reason

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

do you need to be connected to a router?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iFob review on justanotheriphoneblog.com

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does not work on the official 1.1.3 JB. Comes up with the splash screen. Hovers there for a few seconds, crashes back to the Springboard.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Version 1.41 of iFob works with official JB 1.1.3
    The best place to get iFob is from the trusted source through the iPhone installer, Conceited Software, under the "Network" category.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iCloseBy For This Useful Post:

chrism238 (02-01-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default hmmm...
    iFob updated:

should work great now!!! Testers have confirmed! We've had several thousand downloads in last hour.

The best place to get iFob is from the trusted source through the iPhone installer, Conceited Software, under the "Network" category.
    Last edited by iCloseBy; 01-31-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: removed a Doublepost

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iCloseBy View Post
    Could you please explain if iFob really requires the presence of a WiFi access point (requires the iPhone to associate with the AP), or does iFob simply perform UDP broadcasts for whomever can receive them (hence, an AP is not required)? Thanks,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i agree...this is a strange but interesting app...definitely creative i guess

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow with this wonderfully engineered app there is a very remote chance that I might meet and fall in love anonymously ........................... with a like minded male geek ...

Hmm houston we have a problem

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yes, you have to be connected to the same wifi hotspot. But the idea is that there are tons of chat things out there that connect you to everyone, but with iFob you can see who is in the same hotspot, ie, in the same club, bar, coffee house, etc. etc. You can set your free copy of iFob to be anonymous and just listen, or you can broadcast as well as listen. It is good for a group of friends, or people in cities where there is high concentration of iPhone / iPod touch users. In answer to the earlier poster, actually there are more woman purchasing iPod touch then men, and for the iPhone it is about equal. And since iFob is free, there are tens of thousands of people already who have installed and downloaded the app (still a small drop, since there are an estimated one million jailbroken iPhones out there right now).

Get iFob now while it is still free!

enjoy.

Thanks

Hey what would the possibility be of integrating the idea of DropCopy into this? In case you don't know what DropCopy is, it basically lets you transfer files wirelessly between iPhones (Zune-ish).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColPhorbin View Post
    Hey what would the possibility be of integrating the idea of DropCopy into this? In case you don't know what DropCopy is, it basically lets you transfer files wirelessly between iPhones (Zune-ish).
    ----
    *HIGH FIVE*

Thank you. Glad someone else is wanting this sort of feature. I think I had posted something about this, a way to share music and things with other iPhones or iPod Touches around you.

Anyway, I have tried this, nobody is showing up. To be honest, I really don't know how to use this. Either that or there is no people in my area with a iPod Touch or iPhone. Maybe there should be a service where iPhone & iPod Touch users can interact, a social network but it only be ment for these two devices?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Perhaps this will take off once the SDK is in effect. for now I don't see much reason
    I'm kind of confused at the point of this app. Also, when does the SDK come out because it's February now and I'm anxious for its release.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iFob - clairifcation of what it is for
    iFob is native iPhone / iPod touch software which helps you search for other iPhone / iPod touch users who are physically close by. It does you no good if you never go out. But, if you have a life, and go to public places where there is WiFi, then iFob will help you find other people. It doesn't use a site, and does't need any kind of registration or account creation. You just install it on your iPhone / iPod and leave it running. iFob will then search for other people who are close to you (in the same coffee house, bar, hotspot, etc.), and will light up and let you know. If you are worried about privacy, you can set your copy of iFob to "Listen" and then you will see other people, but they will not see you. Because there is no login or registration, with iFob you can change your name, your micro-profile, etc., as often as you want. You can use iFob as a tool, or, as many people do, use it as a sort of social networking game. Because iFob for the iPhone / iPod touch is free, many thousands of people have downloaded and installed it, and there is already a large community of iFob users. You can also purchase copies of iFob for your PC. You can find iFob in the trusted software list from Conceited Software under the "network" category from the Installer app, or from the download section at www.iCloseby.com - steve, co-founder of iCloseBy.com

Green Apple
    Thanks
    No one seems to have this program. I always check when im in a hotspot and nothing lol Im really liking the idea but maybe if it could be kind of a social network for ipod and iphone people that would be awesome. Thats what I taught it was at first. Either way great app you got here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Where are you located? ie, what city? iFob was only released one week ago, and we hear that in some places everyone seems to have it running on their iPhones, while in other cities it hasn't caught on yet. There are an estimated one million Jailbroken iPhones out there, and since iFob is free, most likely other iFob users will soon start lighting up for you, but again, it has only been one week.... let me tell you, from where I sit, it has been a wild week!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Im from los angeles Hollywood to be exact.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There should be tons of people there who have installed iFob. Are you sure you left iFob running when you were in a hotspot?

This is a nice article about the iFob community:
    http://mashable.com/2008/02/05/ifob/