+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS Software iGO 8 coming to iPhone

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
This rather belongs to the news section, but for whatever reason I'm not allowed to post there. NavnGo ( www.navngo.com ) has "iGO 8" running on the iPhone! This looks
    Thanks

Default GPS Software iGO 8 coming to iPhone
    This rather belongs to the news section, but for whatever reason I'm not allowed to post there.

NavnGo (www.navngo.com) has "iGO 8" running on the iPhone! This looks like the final step to EDGE/GPRS independent navigation.
    iGO 8 is said to be released in about 4 weeks. Hopefully this covers the iPhone version and hopefully it will work with the partfoundry GPS modul (http://partfoundry.com/iphonegps.html).

http://www.mobinaute.com/91188-igo-n...gation-gp.html
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5mIyhJ5YJU"]YouTube - iGo8 running on iPhone![/ame]
    Last edited by benne; 01-23-2008 at 12:36 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

That looks like another device is doing the GPS and its simply porting the visuals to the iphone via blue tooth?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The GPS on the car was showing different directions than the phone. Just look at the end when the iPhone was showing a left turn and the car GPS was still straight...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am assuming the GPS module that partfoundry is producing will come with the software. there is no way to get an accurate GPS (to the point it claimed to be in the video) without a GPS module linked to the phone in some manner.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd be very surprised if Partfoundry release software like the one shown above. It's more likely that Partfoundry will release quite simple software with their hardware that ports into google maps. I think Partfoundry's objective is mainly hardware based but can be utilised by third party software such as IGO 8. Fine by me really. This is pure speculation ofcourse but it's what I'm expecting.

Thanks

Great news! They joined forces and have iGO 8 running on the iPhone using the locoGPS unit! (CEBIT http://gomite.com/cebit.html) Can't wait to get it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6bC1MIhn44"]YouTube - CeBIT 2008: iGO 8 iPhone edition[/ame]

Thanks

Absolutely awesome, cant wait to get it either, hopefully it will support Australian maps.

the kanye west of programming drunknbass's Avatar
    Thanks

its true. the loco gps dongle is going wifi and navngo have been working with them for the last 2-3 months porting the software over.

Thanks

Wonder if GPS is going to eat the battery alive

and since it takes up where the charger goes, you can't have it charging in your vehicle and have gps at the same time

Thanks

I'm going to get this when it becomes available. Now only if someone could figure out how to map wireless using this GPS data and map it out on a map, that would be freaking awsome.

Green Apple
    Thanks

time to bring this back from the dead where the hell is the igo8

Thanks

what i dont get is why the hell would they make the locogps wifi? what if your in the middle of nowhere any u need directions. if there is no wifi around how are u suppose to use it. am i getting things mixed up? according to the site, it needs wifi and it will join free ones to get the signal to ur iphone. im guessing they stopped the serial port development because of legal issues. i think that will suck. i know you can connect a standard Holux gps device to the iphone using a hacked wire. but i donno how that plays out with the maps. anyway, i need some software badly!

Thanks

the loco gps is a wifi SERVER. you connect to IT via wifi. the locogps doesnt need to connect to the internet via wifi. you are a little mixed up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    the loco gps is a wifi SERVER. you connect to IT via wifi. the locogps doesnt need to connect to the internet via wifi. you are a little mixed up.
    thanks for clearing it up. i knew i had something mixed up.

Thanks

The locogps crap has been talked about for soooooo long. I for some reason dont see this coming out soon..

Thanks

i want to know how they call this gps on my 3g......its just a dot on a map that doesnt even load fast enough....so when im driving i have a blue dot on a tan screen with grid lines.....some body needs to come out with loaded map and turn by turn.

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    its true. the loco gps dongle is going wifi and navngo have been working with them for the last 2-3 months porting the software over.
    How much will you charge me to make a turn by turn gps with maps.....if you can legally. I know you got the know how....im probably just dreaming here.

This gps on the 3g is wack bro....save us all here.
    Last edited by stlcaddie; 07-17-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    that video is quite old...
    also there's a free working gps app for jailbroken iphones, which works great with a external gps and a cable (around 77$ together):
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o2zjs3wXmI]YouTube - Iphone with GPS[/ame]
    only israel map so far.

Thanks

i dont want to do gps stuff. there are too many people with awesome stuff already, id just wait for it.. but if you DID want to make an app using google maps to do turn by turn you could. main thing is getting a TTS(text-to-speech) engine running.. i tried alittle months ago but couldnt find anything good open source. i think the iphone might have hidden framework for it now tho.

turn by turn is really just something to read off the directions that google provieds you, and have it read them by using gps/location awareness to sense when you are getting close to the point on the map where youd make a turn .

not too complicated stuff.. but the cool gps companies have their own 3d maps which is much better.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Where do we get the map software?
    Where do we get the map software?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Huh? What map software? Google maps is already loaded on your iPhone.

G-Map is pretty good (on the App Store) if you drive in areas supported by its maps. At least the red ball moves as you are driving

There is currently no true turn by turn navigation for the iPhone.