+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Funiculus Guitar Tuner 0.22 out - new hands free mode

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
A new version of Funiculus Guitar Tuner (version 0.22) is available for download on the SourceForge project page...(probably via Installer within the next day). This new version includes a note
    JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Default Funiculus Guitar Tuner 0.42 - now on Installer
    A new version of Funiculus Guitar Tuner (version 0.22) is available for download on the SourceForge project page...(probably via Installer within the next day). This new version includes a note auto-detection mode.
    See the Funiculus homepage for details.

JLA

(Update : 0.42 is on Installer...see later messages)
    Last edited by JLA; 02-04-2008 at 08:23 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Nice! Although you say that not that much has changed, this version seems like a big step forward both aesthetically and functionally!

The note auto-detection works pretty well, but at least on my Taylor 612C, it seems to often detect the 5th or octave instead of the primary note. I'm wondering if perhaps doing some preliminary filtering on the higher end of the spectrum might help. Maybe analyze the sensitivity of the iphone mic with a tone generator and then apply a filter accordingly. It never seems to guess lower incorrectly, so perhaps just looking for the lowest frequency present above a certain threshold might help... Just some ideas, I could be talking out my a**.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

JLA (01-23-2008)

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

No, that's a valid approach, but I fear that the sensitivity in the low E range is probably way too close to zero to depend on for tuning. (The speaker also drops off around that pitch.) So for the low E string, for now it's best to ignore the note readout and pretend it is measuring the fundamental. It tunes one of its overtones, but that should work. I may have it look at multiple peaks and calculate what the fundamental is based on that, even though it still tunes with the overtone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    awesome JLA. hey are you still looking for guitar samples or is that over with now that you have imp'd the autodetect in your program?

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

No, I found some on the Internet for the initial phase. What would be most helpful for me right now is if some people who have tested the new version to leave the following feedback : what string is misregistering (e.g. Low E) and more importantly, what note low E is registering as. I want to see what kind of variation there is in this from guitar to guitar. If you are able to, please leave this feedback on the Funiculus homepage (no login required)...I'd like to get all this data in a central location.

Thanks,
    JLA

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Default New version - 0.42
    ================================================== =====
    A new version of Funiculus - 0.42 - is out. It is currently available on the Funiculus homepage: http://mauvilasoftware.com/funiculus, and it will probably be on Installer soon.

Autodetection mode is much more accurate, and there are new graphics.

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Default Funiculus 0.42 on Installer
    ================================================== ===
    Funiculus 0.42 has made it up on Installer. It says iPhone only, but I have been told by the people at TouchMods that their external microphone allows it to work on an iPod Touch. They made a video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt0yOmyonMo"]Link to video[/ame]

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Default Version 0.50 soon to be released
    I'm going to release a new version of Funiculus in a few days, and I've made some rather large changes. In addition to the graphics, there is a whole new note detection algorithm that works a whole lot better than the previous one. And because it works better, I've decided to get rid of the old manually-choose-the-string-by-pressing-a-button system. Of course, I realize that a lot of people don't have the strings memorized, so I guess I'll have to add some type of chart in there somehow.

And I will need to change the "Guitar Tuner" part of the title...it isn't restricted to guitar...it works on a whole lot of musical instruments, possibly about all that would need tuning. However, calling it "Funiculus Instrument Tuner" sounds like it calibrates pressure gauges. "Music Tuner" sounds sort of like an FM tuner...does anyone have any suggestions? (Funiculus is latin for cord...i.e. guitar string...so I guess that's a little out of date as well, but I'm going to stick with it anyway.)

So if anyone has any suggestions that haven't been implemented, even if you've made them before, please let me know. Seeing as how the iPhone is pretty powerful (even though the mic isn't great), I think I can make this into one of the best tuners ever (hardware or software), and if not, certainly the best free tuner. (It's obviously not there yet...)

To check out a screen shot of the new version, visit: http://mauvilasoftware.com/funiculus

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

I love it John, I'm looking forward to it!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews