Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Benefit of the Terminal app on iPhone?

Default Benefit of the Terminal app on iPhone?
    Since I had WinSCP open and was installing other applications, I installed Terminal. So, what do people use this program for on the iPhone?

Sorry for the n00b question. I'm hoping there is something super-cool I can do with it now that I have it.

i use it to run scripts and test stuff mostly.

Now that i have my iPhone setup correctly, with all the latest BSD files, i can ssh or sftp into my MacBookPro from my iPhone, via wifi(no wires) transfer file, update themes, add applications, you name it, using the Mobile Terminal...its great and so much easier than having to hook it up, then jialbreak and blah blah..lol..

Default terminal
    Is there a guide for using this?

Quote Originally Posted by joemasta View Post
    Now that i have my iPhone setup correctly, with all the latest BSD files, i can ssh or sftp into my MacBookPro from my iPhone, via wifi(no wires) transfer file, update themes, add applications, you name it, using the Mobile Terminal...its great and so much easier than having to hook it up, then jialbreak and blah blah..lol..
    yea but you can do the same thing without mobile terminal from computer --> phone with ssh installed.

so is there a guide for using this i have done some pretty serious hacking and i would like to no the point of this sorry for the noob question

LOL serious hacking

I use it to log into servers at work remotely to fix problems with systems/databases without having to lug around a notebook.

You can start apps with it to. For example, I installed Ants, but the program runs all the time, you only need to select the icon to change settings. I hid the icon and just open terminal and run /Applications/Ants.app/Ants or whatever the exe name is. Saves an icon space!

serious hacking? I only dabble in nonsensical hacking....

I use it to remotely manage my dedicated server. It's linux.