+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ishapeshifter

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
iphone app to dl and install themes/icons/skins/system sounds/ etc to your phone. works like installer.app but for themes. almost done will release it here first in a few hours. actually
    the kanye west of programming drunknbass's Avatar
    Thanks

Default ishapeshifter

iphone app to dl and install themes/icons/skins/system sounds/ etc to your phone.

works like installer.app but for themes.

almost done will release it here first in a few hours.

actually it is easier to add on to installer app, they will be updating it soon to allow categories for file downloads, which makes this obsolete and just another icon cluttering up your phone..

so do this and by tomm the themes should be online and downloadable.

i have everything working, now i just have to create a backup of all files that we will ever be modding and store them on the phone for uninstallation of themes. that way you can go back to the stock theme when you uninstall.

i might think of a way to backup your current theme so you can restore that . but its alittle tricky i gotta think about it for a little bit..

ok backup script works so ill put the instructions up.. basically all you are doing is adding a source in installer app to look for doewnloads, you add my server which hosts themes and the install scripts. then youll be able to install them,..
    only 'bug' so far is after you install a theme is doesnt show up anymore in the stuff you can install, it shows up in uninstall. so after you install its a good idea to go to uninstall and remove it. then click the home button to exit installer and itll load your theme.. uninstall doesnt uninstall themes it just removes a file so installer.app doesnt know its currently installed.. once i get some code working itll force you to uninstall your themes before installing a new 1.

also . the way backup works.
    by clicking "install" on the backup theme. it takes your current apps, sounds, system files, springboard (and displayorder.plist) and ui files and backs them up on your phone under var/root/Library/Themes/Backup

dont edit these files EVER EVERRRRR,

if you want to restore your backup, go to uninstall in installer app and uninstall backup. at this time all files backed up will be restored and the backup folder will be deleted off your phone.

http://iphone.deathtodesign.com/instructions.html

ill be adding ringtones later today or tomm also.

you can install, or uninstall these just like any other normal app in install.app installing will put them in your ringtone folder, uninstalling will delete them out. pretty simple

---note---

some themes include a displayorder.plist to sort the homescreen icons to display correctly., by installing these themes you might loose installer.app or launcher.app on your homescreen because those apps were added to your displayorder.plist when they were installed.
    so i added a -backup DisplayOrder- under themes, which basically acts like a full backup, but all it does is backup your display order to file, and by uninstalling it, it will restore your display order.

so what you might want to do is backup your display order, then install whatever theme you like, and if you lost any important apps on the home screen, you can go to uninstall and uninstall backup displayorder and it will restore your old display order.

but remeber alot of the really custom themes rely on the included displayorder to look right.
    i havent included too many of these yet because they are kinda a 'hack' and i dont like the workaround to getting a background image look behind the icons, and i prefer to upload icons with trans bg so it doesnt matter what order they are in theyll still look good.
    Last edited by drunknbass; 08-21-2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: update

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drunknbass For This Useful Post:

JakeyBoy (08-18-2007), uPhone559 (08-16-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone senas8's Avatar
    Thanks

Excellent! Glad to hear that.
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Will we be able to post our own themes for it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah...i'm excited i'm wondering if we will eventually be able to do this stuff over EDGE (or freaking 3G/HSPDA eventually)
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Looking forward to it.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

when its out there will be a reead me on how to package your themes . then you can submit it to my site and it will show up in the app as a theme you can download. all themes have to be approved first because of the potential for someone to upload an unsafe theme and damage your phone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to drunknbass For This Useful Post:

custom2005altima (08-23-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    when its out there will be a reead me on how to package your themes . then you can submit it to my site and it will show up in the app as a theme you can download. all themes have to be approved first because of the potential for someone to upload an unsafe theme and damage your phone.
    So will installing themes be over edge/wifi only? is there an option to install themes from the phone itself?
    Thanks.
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

Thanks

at first only over the network, maybe later on you will be givin an option to dl them to your phone and activate them, maybe after the finder.app is polished up alittle.

update...
    Last edited by drunknbass; 08-16-2007 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Neat!....Downloading it right now. Thank! Keep up the great work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

where are the LocalPackages.plist PackageSources.plist stored?

Thanks

follow the instructions on my link

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

never mind

Thanks

link fails for me

Retired Moderator arthursdomain's Avatar
    Thanks

i read your instructions and did not find the string it mentioned. I have installer app 1.1 no mention of AddSource in there.
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

Thanks

my LocalPackages.plist PackageSources.plist look nothing like you mention in your tutorial, there is nothing in there at all that's on your install page, how bout posting ones already completed for us
    Hit Thanks!

Thanks

Ok, it's seams to work, at the beginning...
    I start the Installer, it shows me "* JTRWallace (1)" and "* Original iPhone (1)" but when I chose one and install it gaves me "Error during install script execution!"

SOB

Thanks

I was also working with the Installer app for Theme management but scrapped it because unless the code is changed it only allows one install. So if you d/l and install the OEM theme unless you d/l a new theme or uninstall it, there is no way to reload the same theme. Did you find a way around this?

Good luck

Thanks

I have the sources in there now, but the 2 themes that show up, will not install

Also, if we want to submit themes to this, what format do they need to be in and where do we upload them to? Can we include sounds in the theme/skin? Does the theme skin take into account the SpringBoard.strings file? yadda, yadda, yadda...
    Last edited by Daerid; 08-16-2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    I have the sources in there now, but the 2 themes that show up, will not install

Also, if we want to submit themes to this, what format do they need to be in and where do we upload them to? Can we include sounds in the theme/skin? Does the theme skin take into account the SpringBoard.strings file? yadda, yadda, yadda...
    the 2 themes in there have to be fixed thats why they dont install, i am aware of this and am working on it.

as far as installer.app and the mods i posted that is all fine and everything is good. only problem is in my package files right now. as soon as i fix the zip files the themes will install..

right now the oem (default) iphone theme just replaces the application icons back to normal (only apps that come on the phone when you bought it)

the jtrwallace changes all icons and the dockbg image.

after all is said and done i will modify the oem theme to replace all the icons back to normal, replace the dock, battery icons. system sounds, slider, displayorder.plist. etc all back to normal. that way if you want to put your phone back to oem stock and have random mods like displayorder or maybe a slider modified it will fix everything..

after that i will release a readme on how the themes need to be packaged and how to edit the installer script and people can submit thier own themes.

its pretty simple.

basically you can install anything you want thats defined in the instal script. like add a ringtone along with your theme, slider, change plists, etc. but because there is such a wide range of stuff you could mod, all themes have to be approved before they can go live on my server. that way they wont damage phones or install anything unwanted

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    I was also working with the Installer app for Theme management but scrapped it because unless the code is changed it only allows one install. So if you d/l and install the OEM theme unless you d/l a new theme or uninstall it, there is no way to reload the same theme. Did you find a way around this?

Good luck
    why would you want to reload the same theme? uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt seem like that big a pain for something 99% of people wouldnt want to do anyways
    Last edited by drunknbass; 08-16-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    why would you want to reload the same theme? uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt seem like that big a pain for something 99% of people wouldnt want to do anyways
    That's clearly a fundamental difference we have.

However when using the 'real' ShapeShifter' you only download the theme once and then can reload, anytime at will. That is how I use my computer and it is how I use my iPhone so I'm not too sure about your 99%

Edit: If I'm showing someone my iPhone I almost always load the default icons (OEM Theme) and then once I'm finished I reload my custom icons. In addition I change the theme depending upon my mood. I change it at least two times a day, sometimes more.
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 08-16-2007 at 12:27 PM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast