Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to start writing apps

Default Want to start writing apps
    To be honest: I've never written software. Never tried. Don't know a lick of code or anything. But these forums have shown me the possibilities within the iPhone and have made me want to start trying to write apps for it.

Now, I'm a pretty smart guy and I pick up on stuff really quickly so I'm sure I can learn cocoa relatively quickly. But what else will I need to know to write apps specifically for the iPhone? Has anyone released any sort of unofficial SDK?

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Writing apps for the iPhone is MUCH more involved than modding. You will need some prior experience. Good luck!

I think what needs to happen ...is for basic language like lua...which is easy to learn. If that gets ported to the iphone...we might be better off....What do (developers think?) ....Wont that be much easier for us non programmers...easier to learn?
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by senas8 View Post
    I think what needs to happen ...is for basic language like lua...which is easy to learn. If that gets ported to the iphone...we might be better off....What do (developers think?) ....Wont that be much easier for us non programmers...easier to learn?
    I've been writing code for years but there wasn't a clear guide that I could find for getting setup. If there were I'd work on some apps I have in mind. Can someone point me in a direction?

C as a language requires some prior experience. If you've never written code C isn't the place to start

Quote Originally Posted by AustinSTI View Post
    I've been writing code for years but there wasn't a clear guide that I could find for getting setup. If there were I'd work on some apps I have in mind. Can someone point me in a direction?

C as a language requires some prior experience. If you've never written code C isn't the place to start
    The wiki Guide in "Guides" at the top has some some Guide on how to setup the toolchain in mac os...I believe. ...check the Guide.
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by senas8 View Post
    The wiki Guide in "Guides" at the top has some some Guide on how to setup the toolchain in mac os...I believe. ...check the Guide.
    Yeah I'm screwed I don't have a MAC If I did I'd be writing an IM app this weekend...
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 08-17-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: langauge

Who says you need a mac ? They lie !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to r00t4rd3d For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (08-17-2007)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Nice.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Hey r00t4rd3d,
    Can you possibly post a link to where you got the iPhone Development kit?
    That'd kind of answer our questions instead of just taunting us with evidence that there is an answer
    Thanks!

I think its illegal to post a link...but you might want to try... ******* ****
    and asking .
    I think its king of lame you can't post link, but can post link to 3rd party apps :P
    Last edited by senas8; 08-17-2007 at 06:55 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stealth1029's Avatar
    Thanks

r00t, please PM me how you got mac on your pc. I've looked across half the internet for it, and no dice.

Thanks in advance!

iPhone? More like MyPhone xfsasx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth1029 View Post
    r00t, please PM me how you got mac on your pc. I've looked across half the internet for it, and no dice.

Thanks in advance!

Its called vmware

The toolchain installer for mac is at :

http://ellkro.jot.com/iPhoneHacking

How did I do it ?

vmware/patched tiger x86

You need a certain patched version of Tiger x86 for vmware.

Goto your favorite torrent site, like torrentspy.com ,and search for "vmware patched tiger"

Good luck !

TIP 1: If you get it running and notice its slow as death , in the vmware bios , turn off the serial/parallel ports.

TIP 2: Get your network working with vmware/osx , here
    Last edited by r00t4rd3d; 08-18-2007 at 02:49 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to r00t4rd3d For This Useful Post:

Stealth1029 (08-18-2007)

Thanks for the link, R00t. Unfortunately, I'm still out of luck: I'm running PPC. Even my Vista machine runs on an AMD, so I cant even run it through VMWare.

Dammit!