Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Better Term-VT102 with gnu SCREEN

Default Better Term-VT102 with gnu SCREEN
    Hello guys,

I compiled gnu screen for the iTouch/iPhone which helps working wth the terminal A LOT.

I attached a zip with the binary and a few configuration files.

First you have to setup zsh as your default shell. To do that just follow this guide. Just change /bin/sh to /bin/zsh (bash didnt work for me).

Next upload the zshrc to /var/root/.zshrc, the screenrc to /var/root/.screenrc and the screen binary to /var/root/bin .

Now you are ready. You can start screen with the alias "s". Just ssh into your device or open vt100 and type "s".
    This will launch a new screen.
    With the alias "ss" you execute "screen -dR" which, if the screen is already attached (for example in ssh), it detaches it and attaches the screen in your term, otherwise it creates a new one.

Ok what can we do now you ask?

Now you probably wonder what you can do with it.

Open VT-100 and type ss.
    You have now a new screen. Type some commands like ls or whoami or whatever.
    Now just press the home button and close vt100 and reopen it again. You will see a new blank terminal. BUT if you attach your previous screen with ss again. You will find yourself back in whatever you have been doing again.
    You can close the terminal do some stuff and come back to whatever you have been doing.

But thats not the only thing you can do. You also ahve a tabbed terminal now. Tap somewhere on the screen to get that radial menu and chose ^[ this is equal to the ususal ^a(C-a) of screen. Now you can enter screen commands with it.
    Chose ^[ and type d to detach your screen.
    Press ^[ c to create a new tab. Now you can switch between the tabs with ^[ n (next) and ^[ p (previous). To see a list of your currently opened tabs press ^[ ".

For more infos on screen, just google for "gnu screen"

Here is a good site with tips:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Using_screen
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by crashx; 01-11-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer

hi Crashx, thanks for the share. However, when running screen (s command), i keep getting "mkfifo /tmp/screens/S-root/117.ttyp0.iPhone failed" where 117 numbers keep changing, iPhone is my iPhone name. when i checked using "ss", there's no screen to be detached.

But when i checked to the dir bla/bla/S-root, the xxx.ttyp0.iPhone are actually created, there are couple of them..and cannot be erased.

looking forward for your advice.
    Last edited by asae; 01-11-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Can you perhaps ask poetic folly to host this in his MMi installer source?
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

asae: Sorry I really dont know why you get this error. For me it is working without problems :/
    Does anyone else have the same problem?

BigBoss: Ill pm him

crashx

thanks crashx, am using 1.1.2. Been using screen in unix's world and loved it! this is very useful tool to have, especially in iPhone.

ps: managed to delete the /tmp/screens/S-root/xxx.ttyp0.iPhone files via Mobile Finder, but don't run Mobile Terminal first, because if i run it, then seems that these files are locked/in-use somehow.

So does it work now?

Nope, still getting the same message hehe.. permission problem on my /tmp folder perhaps? but i have set it to 777...
    Last edited by asae; 01-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.