Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Showtime: New video recorder

Quote Originally Posted by lduncan View Post
    Sometimes the automated email with license key ends up being spam filtered. I've just responded to your email, and sent through your license key again. Let me know if you still haven't received it.
    Thank you so much for responding show quickly and thorughly..ive received ur email and the lincense key and it works great...can t wait to see the updates...would be nice for sound..how u makin out in that department?

Lightbulb Easy answer
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    Can someone explain this mentality to me?
    Sure...it's quite simple. There are conservatively 100 native apps that are free and have been since their various releases over the last 6 months. I can count the ones that actually cost $$$ on one hand.

iPhone users are accustomed to getting apps without paying anything (based exclusively on the dev's behavior towards pricing, by the way) - hence the attitude that people charging for their programs had better have something very refined and unique to justify an actual cost. As a business owner, I'm sure you understand that every marketplace is unique and naturally sets it's own rules about pricing based on the attitude of suppliers vis a vis the market's climate at any given time.

This will undoubtedly change once Apple starts endorsing 3rd party apps that will survive firmware upgrades without a wait for someone to crack each version. Until then, however, you can be sure there will be rumbles when a new app asks for $$$ up front instead of simply requesting a donation.

Got it?
    Last edited by jwcrash; 01-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks for the explaination...

One more question...how do these companies make any money? Are you saying they survive and expand based on donations alone?

From my experience, this seems more like a non-profit/charity business model rather than a for profit business model...

I have to agree.

How can you feel right about taking money from someone else's hard work?
    The dev team cracks the iphone (for free) for you to go ahead and sell your apps without them getting a cent?

But this is not the place to discuss this, should probably make a new topic instead of flooding his.

One more question...how do these companies make any money? Are you saying they survive and expand based on donations alone?
    There's a fundamental flaw in your reasoning...you talk about "companies" creating these apps. The vast majority are created by individuals with other primary sources of income. Believe it or not, a lot of folks in the iPhone community (and coding community in general) like creating something cool and sharing it with other people.

This can be proven out if you simply read through the "Native App Launches" archive...there are countless, "I thought a *** app would be cool, so I coded it last night. Check it out!" threads with nary a mention of financial compensation. Erica Sadun is an EXCELLENT example to start with.

Hope that helps clarify things for you.

Quote Originally Posted by skb875 View Post
    But this is not the place to discuss this, should probably make a new topic instead of flooding his.
    This is very true...a separate thread is certainly in order, should this line of discussion continue.
    Last edited by jwcrash; 01-06-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The reason most people don't want to pay for an app is because it could break in a future Firmware update. $19.99 (Camrapro) is way too much to pay for a program that will be unusable in a few months.

The only way I would be willing to pay over say $5 for an app is if the develop guarantees it will work on any future firmware or promises to release a version that works with the update shortly after or you get your money back. Sorry thats the only way untill Itunes starts selling programs which then of course would not be kiled by updates and I would be more then willing to pay for.

Thanks for the explaination...

From my experience, this seems more like a non-profit/charity business model rather than a for profit business model...
    What "Companies" are you talking about? Most of these developers do this in their spare time and have full time jobs. If these were actual software companies focused on making quality apps for profit there would be a lot less grumblings about the stuff being released. Developing communities varry from device to device. At xda-dev and in the WM community you saw a better cohession of devs working together to help make our devices the best they could be, and no one over there was charging for it and just asked for donations. Not that hard work should go unrewarded, but in order to get stable apps to be released you first have to work out the many bugs, and how do you do that? You release what you have to the community to test, report back on the bugs, and work as a whole on the fixes. What I see happening here in the "iPhone" dev circle is backwards. You don't release halfassed apps and charge right off the bat. Oh you can, but you'll soon get a reputation for poor quality and who's gonna pay to test something that you know will be full of bugs from the start? There are no "companies" trying to support their employees and 401k's. Just part-time devs trying to make cool apps (majority anyway) and a few lookin to make a quick buck.

Getting back to the app discussion:

lduncan,

If paying users save videos in the unique format today's version records in, is it reasonable to assume they can archive them and have a way to convert them in future to a viewable format? Or will the future "converter" only work inside the app with videos recorded under that version?

Another question: Is there a way to play back the recordings on a desktop computer and/or a way to convert them to a playable format?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    Another question: Is there a way to play back the recordings on a desktop computer and/or a way to convert them to a playable format?
    If you read the thread, you'll quickly see that the answer to your questions is, "Not yet, but planned for a future release."

Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    There's a fundamental flaw in your reasoning...you talk about "companies" creating these apps. The vast majority are created by individuals with other primary sources of income. Believe it or not, a lot of folks in the iPhone community (and coding community in general) like creating something cool and sharing it with other people.

This can be proven out if you simply read through the "Native App Launches" archive...there are countless, "I thought a *** app would be cool, so I coded it last night. Check it out!" threads with nary a mention of financial compensation. Erica Sadun is an EXCELLENT example to start with.
    I'm new to this community. Your post explains some of the attitudes here.

I think it's great that there are so many people/individuals willing to code and share for free...I just didn't think it should be EXPECTED. I also didn't think it was right to lash out on someone with a business trying to make it profitable...but I understand where the attitude comes from.

With that being said, a product shouldn't be SOLD for a retail price before it's finished...doing so is bad business and will get you in more trouble than it's worth...there's NO WAY I would release an app for sale before it was DONE. You're just inviting problems...

This is all going to be a mute point soon anyway...once Apple releases the SDK and starts licensing apps you are going to have to pay for them anyway. And if Apple has anything to do with them, don't expect them to be cheap.
    Last edited by BrianJ; 01-06-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Glad I could help clear things up for you...nothing wrong with being new or asking questions!

...if Apple has anything to do with them, don't expect them to be cheap.
    I don't think ANYONE who's done business as an Apple customer expects their products to be "cheap"...something else you'll learn as you hang around the community more.

iPhone? More like MyPhone aglitch's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    ... if youre starting a softwre company, i dont think making enemies, stealing other peoples work, and going about business in this way would make people want to hire you... but maybe im living in topsy turvy world and morals and ethics dont mean squat.
    isnt that how MS does it?

That's enough bickering, and this thread is way to off topic.
    If someone wants to create a thread on pay vs free, feel free too and continue discussion there.
    As for the video app fight, neither of you have shown very good proof, Drunknbass especially, when you should be the one with the proof to defend your accusations.

We encourage anyone that knows how to program to "bring apps to the table" for the community. And whoever has the better version, will obvisuly be most popular.

So to both of you, get out there and make your own program better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234