Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Showtime: New video recorder

Reading his post, it looks like he was offering you information on how to save the video. On the other hand, it seems pretty unethical to engage you in conversation about this, or become a part of your team, without revealing his intentions to develop a competing product, even if he didn't directly steal any code. <sigh>

Yeah its pretty upset and men its sucks to be drunknbass ..=( but thats life!! and if youre starting a softwre company well good think that this issue occur when your are starting a company ,oh well i think it will be good if u want take some legal action, it will be better then crying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrperez100007 View Post
    Yeah its pretty upset and men its sucks to be drunknbass ..=( but thats life!! and if youre starting a softwre company well good think that this issue occur when your are starting a company ,oh well i think it will be good if u want take some legal action, it will be better then crying about it.
    im not crying, i just wanted people to know he was a thief, and they can decide if they want to support a thief.

I don't know if someone is lying or if both of them think they have a different program.
    For now I am probably sticking with Drunknbass since he had it first, has a date and his program is going to be totaly free with just a watermark as a side effect unless you pay which to me is a much better deal them putting on the 5 sec limit.

After reading the posts though I am now worried that neither program will have sound. Drunknbass can you confirm or not that yours has sound because it seems this one does not.

We also have the rumor that the next apple update will have video so this is a highly active issue right now.

Green Apple
    Thanks

When people make the super awesome programs like Installer, and ANY of the really good games, and they dont charge for them, why should I have to pay for a half *** working program that may not even get finished. You people need to work on your PR skills.

And stop stealing code, thats another good suggestion

Me 2 but I gotta say right now I'm using this one BUT ONLY UNTIL THE 15th
    previously known as iWant 1.1.1
    ...my dev-base...

iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Factory Unlocked

i do not believe lduncan has copied and pasted major code, however i do believe he has maybe glanced at it and taken idea's and techniques that he can remember. so to me, neither of them are lying, they have their own idea of the truth, the truth can be molded to however it suits each of them

personally, im going to donate to both, for their efforts!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trooper For This Useful Post:

lambo31 (01-06-2008), OneRing2Rule (01-06-2008)

I'm not looking to take anything away from drunknbass... but I started Polar Bear Farm in October and released my first iPhone application, called Search, in late October. With hundreds of thousands of downloads of the application since then.

Please ask this question:
    1) Why would I join monsterandfriends in any sort of privileged role if I had my own iPhone application project and site running for a couple of months prior and actively developing iPhone applications as a company?

I've helped out by sharing some code with him (unrelated to video recording), just as I have helped on other forums and IRC by sharing ideas, knowledge and code. I was under the impression he put me on his site to acknowledge some contributions and related info I provided to him on a public IRC channel. I never asked or agreed to join development on his recording project, just a simple acknowledgement was offered.

I've never been given access to any code, or methods on how he did video recording, if anything i've been providing ideas on how it might be achieved, how grabbing the raw data might be done, how saving might be done, how some realtime compression may be implemented to get the frame rate up etc. I've never asked to see any code, or been privy to any details on how he got things working.

It is unfortunate that drunknbass has said what he has said knowing full well that I have written this app, and he has NOT provided any sensitive information to me related to this. I don't feel like I should continually have to defend something like this where I haven't done anything wrong. Maybe my initial help to him was a mistake, however, me helping him on a public IRC channel doesn't mean I'm obliged to hand over work i've done independently, or stop me releasing an app, for which i've personally found methods, and written the code for.

I'll be contacting him soon to talk about it and hopefully sort this out amicably. I just write my own iphone apps and help people by sharing code and suggestions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lduncan For This Useful Post:

OneRing2Rule (01-06-2008)

good luck to the both of you, and hope you can resolve this soon

fighting doesnt help progress with neither app, best to just try to out-do the other rather then e-rage
    Last edited by Trooper; 01-06-2008 at 07:18 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper For This Useful Post:

OneRing2Rule (01-06-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by lduncan View Post
    I'm not looking to take anything away from drunknbass... but I started Polar Bear Farm in October and released my first iPhone application, called Search, in late October. With hundreds of thousands of downloads of the application since then.
    (snipped)

I'll be contacting him soon to talk about it and hopefully sort this out amicably. I just write my own iphone apps and help people by sharing code and suggestions.
    Layton, I've got one question. Did you ever receive a copy of a non-released version of DrunkNBass's work?

I'll reserve judgement, but really dude, you might have written every line of the code, but did you ever tell D that you're working on a competing product? An ethical decision.

Thanks,
    OneRing2Rule
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

Thanks

Another He said / He said. I don't think this is a matter for a public forum. If Layton violated a signed non-disclosure agreement, then Drunknbass has legal means to prevent him from distributing ShowTime. Otherwise, again, it's all hearsay.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

how about a free license code to sample the first release!!!!!!!....j/k don't hate me for trying.

hey bass....will your video be able to be sent by email, just wondering. I understand if you dont answer because you dont want details out there....both apps seem promising so props to the both. after reading more i dont want to pass judgement on either party but so far it seems bass's runs smoother and faster in the demo....
    Last edited by stlcaddie; 01-06-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by OneRing2Rule View Post
    Layton, I've got one question. Did you ever receive a copy of a non-released version of DrunkNBass's work?
    Like I said, i've never received anything from him. Never received a non-released version, never received any code, never received details of how he did anything. I wasn't involved in it other than throwing ideas and benchmarks from code I wrote etc out in a public IRC channel.

We may never know the entire truth in this situation about the video recording app. There's always 3 sides to a story. Yours, Theirs, and the Truth in between. The one thing that we DO know and is a sad fact and reality as of late, is that most of these so-called "apps" are being released half-assed and are crap, but these guys have the balls to charge for them. If its quality, and is a proven, working, and stable release, then charge for it, but STOP tossing out these sh.itty releases of crap apps and making them partially free or full if you pay for it. I'd sooner boycott EVERY release you ever put out and wait for others if this is the kind of crap you wanna charge for.

NOTE: I use "you" in the plural sense so no one in-particular should get their panties in a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    Just So Everyone Knows, Lduncan / Polerbearfarm, Stole This App, Was On My Team Of Devs, And Did This Behind Our Backs. Dont Support Theifs Like This.
    i feel for you thats messed up.

also im sick and tired of this pay for hacked **** for iphone trend. I really cant belive this site allows taht kind of crap.

i seen this start with the labrynth app and i called the trend because people are willing to pay.

donations are one thing but when you require a payment or a donation to get all the features thats bull

Quote Originally Posted by akai View Post
    When people make the super awesome programs like Installer, and ANY of the really good games, and they dont charge for them, why should I have to pay for a half *** working program that may not even get finished. You people need to work on your PR skills.
    Exactly Akai!!!! I will never pay for a half azz app like video with no sound. There's no point of video with no sound. I hope drunknbass doesn't charge people with his final product. Developers of Installer ask for donations but they never limit the full use of their application. On the other hand, you have jerk offs like the guy who created Camera Pro who charges $20 for all the features of his program.

hey Iduncan...whats up....listen i support bout APPs, and soon will go with the one that results the best effort...however i did donate and purchased ur video recorder thru polarbearfarm and i have not yet recieve my lincense Key..i dont know whats the deal with that....i emailed the person where the money went to and now im posting here....my paypal and email address is [email protected]...can someone please send me my lincense key so i can access the full version....i did support this APP and hope im not being cheated

Thanks
    Thanked 2,521 Times in 1,175 Posts

When it comes to software and the internet and I spot an app that has the features I want if I have to pay then so be it (you get what you pay for) one guy has vid record and save and one does not (bottom line)

Competition is good! Nowwwww lets see who gets the "sound recording" along w/ the vid recording.

/me wavs my dollar donation. =)

Quote Originally Posted by bxbrova718 View Post
    hey Iduncan...whats up....listen i support bout APPs, and soon will go with the one that results the best effort...however i did donate and purchased ur video recorder thru polarbearfarm and i have not yet recieve my lincense Key..i dont know whats the deal with that....i emailed the person where the money went to and now im posting here....my paypal and email address is [email protected]...can someone please send me my lincense key so i can access the full version....i did support this APP and hope im not being cheated
    Sometimes the automated email with license key ends up being spam filtered. I've just responded to your email, and sent through your license key again. Let me know if you still haven't received it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to lduncan For This Useful Post:

bxbrova718 (01-06-2008)

I'm not going to comment on the whole "stealing code" ordeal, simply because I haven't seen proof either way...

BUT, I do want to address another prominent theme in this thread...

WHY is it that everyone EXPECTS to get all these apps for free? I own a business myself, but I can't afford to work for free...I hear all these people saying it's ok to ask for donations, but that actually charging for thier work is BS...??? What are you people thinking?

I agree, an app shouldn't be charged for until it's done, but the mentality that it should be free when finished is baffling to me...I mean, does any other business take donations for work performed? Can you make a donation to the surgeon when you need surgery? What about where you all work...do they take donations for products and services? If they did, I can guarantee your salary would drop...if you'd have one at all...most likely you'd end up a volunteer.

Can someone explain this mentality to me?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianJ For This Useful Post:

AHH (01-07-2008)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast