+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installer.app bricking iPhones???

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
According to the iPhoneDevWiki There have been multiple reports of bricked iPhones with Installer.app They don't cite any actual sources, but that's kind of scary. I didn't think there were
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Installer.app bricking iPhones???
    According to the iPhoneDevWiki
    There have been multiple reports of bricked iPhones with Installer.app
    They don't cite any actual sources, but that's kind of scary. I didn't think there were any reports of bricked iPhones that hadn't been for a swim or a bounce down the staircase.

Can anyone corroborate? [Going home to delete Installer.app]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I bricked my iphone the other day to the point where itunes wouldnt restore it so I decided to re-run jailbreak and then try to restore and it worked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it messed mine up today, went to apple got new phone.

Thanks

Can you give us some more details? How did it mess it up? Did you botch the install? Why couldnt you restore through itunes?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good to know. I haven't had any issues, but there are a few things in there that I would't touch. BSD Subsystem seems dangerous. Any chance it was one of the non-applications that caused the bricking? I find it hard to believe, based on how simple app installation is, that Installer could screw up an iPhone that badly just by trying to install Vrecord or something.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lostphone View Post
    it messed mine up today, went to apple got new phone.
    What do you mean can you expleain what happened

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well i had it installed, everything went fine. installed some apps uninstalled some. i left nes installed through the installer. i removed it using winscp. i noticed that the app still showed i had it installed. i hit uninstall from the installer app. gave me an error then little spinninng thing in middle of screen after i exited the program then went to black screen instead of going to lock screen. i reset my phone and got connect to itunes. itunes would not restore and jailbreak didnt fix it. also i couldnt winscp into it.

had to make new post..edit button not working for me...the bsd subsytem is the binkit files. it doesnt work right when you install it. just install natetrues binkit yourself.
    Last edited by lostphone; 08-13-2007 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Alright thnx so it seems that when its confused it somehow screws up. Also were you updated to the latest installer vs (1.0)? And apple completly replaced your phone? Didn't you void the warrenty or at least it wasn't thier issue?
    Last edited by Erix18; 08-13-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lostphone View Post
    well i had it installed, everything went fine. installed some apps uninstalled some. i left nes installed through the installer. i removed it using winscp. i noticed that the app still showed i had it installed. i hit uninstall from the installer app. gave me an error then little spinninng thing in middle of screen after i exited the program then went to black screen instead of going to lock screen. i reset my phone and got connect to itunes. itunes would not restore and jailbreak didnt fix it. also i couldnt winscp into it.

had to make new post..edit button not working for me...the bsd subsytem is the binkit files. it doesnt work right when you install it. just install natetrues binkit yourself.
    Why did you remove using winscp? Was there some issue that caused you to decide this was a good idea?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i had removed using winscp because i was in there fixing the nes sound, decided since i was in there i would delete old nes to install the newer version. didnt get to install new one. but i use winscp instead of manzana. never had a problem before. btw as long as you restore your original firmware you should be covered under your warranty.

i wasnt able to restore firmware, apple told me they would take it in and send it back to me after they erase it and restore the firmware, but the apple guy just approved it for a replacement instead.
    Last edited by lostphone; 08-13-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

...and these stories are why I won't touch that app with a 10ft pole. No diss to the developers, just too dangerous of waters to not do this stuff hands-on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Bricked mine, thought it was all over. But I read somewhere to delete itunes and apple mobile device support and reinstall. Then restore and it worked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i had a prob with mine it said no service at top where the carrier name was i couldnt make or receive any calls at first they thought it was the sim but nothing apple or att did helped so i went to the apple store and they exchanged it anyone have any ideas why that would happen? oh and it also happened to my freinds phone so im a little nervous to keep modding