+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: backup apps then replace after restore

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
aight ive been searching around for a lil while now. apparently this was possiable with 1.1.3, i havent gotten this to work, nor found proof saying it was.... im looking
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default backup apps then replace after restore
    aight ive been searching around for a lil while now. apparently this was possiable with 1.1.3, i havent gotten this to work, nor found proof saying it was.... im looking to backup all my apps to my computer, then after i restore the iphone, replace all the apps on the phone w/out any problems. i used the blinker.app to test, since it was small... if you delete the app off the iphone, restart the springboard, then verify that its not there, then copy blinker.app back to the Applications directory, then restart the springboard again. the app shows up, opens with a blank screen, then crashes after like 15 seconds. is theres a way to manually install the apps and make them work?? i wish time capsule would backup 3rd party apps.

any software that will do this on windows, or any methods would be greatly appreciated.

Green Apple
    Thanks

dude you deleted a folder than re inserted it
    You need to set permissions
    as far as I know there is no program to backup programs someone please correct me if I am wrong as I would like this also!
    30+ Apps Installed And Going
    1.1.4 8GB Iphone
    Jailbraked using Ziphone !!!

Thanks

Just re-install them again. How many times to you plan to restore your phone?
    To live, you have to lie

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

its not the problem of how many times im gonna restore the phone, its just that ive got like 3 pages of crap ive downloaded... how would i go about setting permissions on a folder?? ive never done that before, and im on a windows computer, if that matters at all.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ssh chmod everything in the folder to 0755
    30+ Apps Installed And Going
    1.1.4 8GB Iphone
    Jailbraked using Ziphone !!!

Thanks

I still wish there was a way to make a 1:1 copy of the iphone. just think norton ghost but for the iphone. That was you could just replace everything with one restore each time.

I know you can somewhat do this with pwnage.. but you still cant go an install a bunch of things cause from my understanding you always have to do bosstools first and move everything.

hmmmmm

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iPhone 4GB [1.0.2 OTB]
    2.2 Bootneutered and QuickPwned!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gripdis View Post
    ssh chmod everything in the folder to 0755
    srry, im a noob, thats all greek to me. tutorial please??

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGotTheRiteTemp's Avatar
    Thanks

Download WinSCP and connect using your phones IP address (found under wifi settings) and the username being "root" password being "alpine" right click on whatever you need to set permissions>properties and type 0755 in the permissions box.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGotTheRiteTemp View Post
    Download WinSCP and connect using your phones IP address (found under wifi settings) and the username being "root" password being "alpine" right click on whatever you need to set permissions>properties and type 0755 in the permissions box.
    ok, done that, in fact it already said 0755.... all it does is come up with a black screen, and is unresponsive, then after a few seconds, it just goes back to the home screen.

i might actually be onto something here... unlike anything ive seen online... be back in a few hours after all my testing with the results.

EDIT: I have the solution. when you go through winscp, to set the permissions and stuff, theres a check box right under it. off the top of my head i cant remember exactly what it says, but its the one that right under the box that says 0755 after you copy the file back to the applications folder.... not to be rude or anything, but i know some ppl dont have common sense, but browse the files and folders on the phone... some applications store other folders with data that is critical to it running. backup all that, and then replace them all... im currently flashing to 2.0, once i get it on there, ill put the apps in, and see which ones work. if any work, ill update this and let people know. if anyone wants to do a small tutorial on what i just posted, feel free to, but put my username on here in it, so i get credit... LOL, i havent seen that listed anywhere about doin this process. everyone always says "ssh chmod everything in the folder to 0755".
    Last edited by xxcrashxx; 07-22-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: added more info.