+ Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [APP RELEASE] SMS Notify (vibrates)

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone theguyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Last edited by theguyz; 01-03-2008 at 08:02 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It is required to reboot your phone after you change the .sh script.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i'm using jrentzke's original configuration from above, only changed the sleep line.

one of the only problems is if the phone is on vibrate it will still play the tone instead of vibrating

this is a great hack

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TypeSDragoon View Post
    i'm using jrentzke's original configuration from above, only changed the sleep line.

one of the only problems is if the phone is on vibrate it will still play the tone instead of vibrating

this is a great hack
    Hey I tied jrentzke's original settings but nothing happens. Can you please tell me the steps you did. I got jrentzke's file attachment above to work only for missed SMS not calls. I can't understand what I am doing wrong.
    Last edited by signori; 01-04-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Very odd.
    I uploaded the posted file, restarted and called my phone and waited and nothing.
    For some reason its not working for me. I have erica's utilities installed and check and did see playaudio installed on my phone. Permissions are at 755.

Damn wish I could get this to work. Its one of the things I have been waiting for the most.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fserto View Post
    It is required to reboot your phone after you change the .sh script.
    If you are SShed into your phone, the fastest way to make the changes take effect immediately is to kill the existing process of smsnotify.

This is example:

To find out the existing smsnotify process ID do:
    # ps auxw |grep -i sms
    root 2194 0.0 0.0 274168 796 ?? Ss 5:35PM 0:00.04 /bin/sh /usr/local/smsnotify/smsnotify.sh
    root 2223 0.0 0.0 273028 408 p1 S+ 5:37PM 0:00.02 grep -i sms

Once found, kill the process ID 2194
    # kill -9 2194

Once killed it will be respawned based on the plist "ondemand"

Than grep for the process again to make sure it was restarted after killing the process earlier:
    # ps auxw |grep -i sms
    root 2228 0.0 0.0 274168 804 ?? Ss 5:37PM 0:00.06 /bin/sh /usr/local/smsnotify/smsnotify.sh
    root 2234 0.0 0.0 273028 408 p1 S+ 5:37PM 0:00.02 grep -i sms
    #

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TypeSDragoon View Post

this is a great hack
    - that's because I deleted the lines that calls the vibrating (I don't like the vibrating)

Quote Originally Posted by signori View Post
    Hey I tied jrentzke's original settings but nothing happens. Can you please tell me the steps you did. I got jrentzke's file attachment above to work only for missed SMS not calls. I can't understand what I am doing wrong.
    - did you make a copy of 'playaudio' and renamed it to 'playaudio2' & make sure about the permissions. Also, I used my own sound files. Make sure you change the script to indicate your sound files.

Quote Originally Posted by reptile347 View Post
    Very odd.
    I uploaded the posted file, restarted and called my phone and waited and nothing.
    For some reason its not working for me. I have erica's utilities installed and check and did see playaudio installed on my phone. Permissions are at 755.

Damn wish I could get this to work. Its one of the things I have been waiting for the most.
    - you need to install SMSNotify from the repo first. That installs more files than just the .sh script file we are changing. Also duplicate & rename the 'playaudio' file to work with my script.

btw. I'm just hacking away. This script, as it is, will not damage your phone in any way. (no restores required!). It will either just work or not, but with no ill effect (other than some battery drain).
    Would be nice though if some clever programmer can put this all in a GUI: - choose vibrate or not
    - choose sound file for missed calls
    - choose sound file for unread SMS
    - restart script as per above post
    Last edited by jrentzke; 01-04-2008 at 03:58 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I do have smsnotify installed.
    I have figured out some things and I want to know if the following is the same case for the people this works for.

First I found out the reason it was not working is I was using my home phone which said blocked on my iPhone and when I took the caller id off and it showed the number then it worked. So it appers in order to work it has to receive an actual number on the display.

The next problem I am having is it will not continue to work for me depending on the time I set and seems it dies when the phone aotulocks.

If I set it for 30secs it will do it once after a call. I set it to 15 and it did it about 5 times then stop but as soon as I click a button and the phone comes back on it makes a noise again so it seems to somehow get cut off.
    so everyone who set it at 120 secs is it doing it mutiple times for you or just once?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default would love to get it working...
    jrentzke,
    any way you could copy the files for us...
    the 2 alarm files
    ssh file
    and the audio2 file

That way we could just copy to the phone...

I must be doing something wrong...I have copied the audio file and changed permission, changed the alrm to "duck" and still nothing..

iPhone? More like MyPhone theguyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptile347 View Post
    I do have smsnotify installed.
    I have figured out some things and I want to know if the following is the same case for the people this works for.

First I found out the reason it was not working is I was using my home phone which said blocked on my iPhone and when I took the caller id off and it showed the number then it worked. So it appers in order to work it has to receive an actual number on the display.

The next problem I am having is it will not continue to work for me depending on the time I set and seems it dies when the phone aotulocks.

If I set it for 30secs it will do it once after a call. I set it to 15 and it did it about 5 times then stop but as soon as I click a button and the phone comes back on it makes a noise again so it seems to somehow get cut off.
    so everyone who set it at 120 secs is it doing it mutiple times for you or just once?
    Similiar to what i have found out, with a few more issues.

If you set SLEEP longer than your autolock and when on phone and time hits to alert phone goes into dim screen mode ( no autolock ) - suppose thsi is due to sleep feature being called thus phone think in use.

If phone autolocks - will not notify ( was posted by original coder ) this is how it works currently so unless you call in script auto awake phone could make more usefull. But original coder has posted that phone will awake on auto email checking so maybe enabling this with dummy settinsg if no email client setup maye make work --- I have not tried

Any missed call comes up for me, be it blocked or not... Are you getting a missed call # increment ( aka bubble ) on your blocked call attempt.

Thanks

It continues for me on 120 sec, even when the phone is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by rimmeroz View Post
    jrentzke,
    any way you could copy the files for us...
    the 2 alarm files
    ssh file
    and the audio2 file

That way we could just copy to the phone...

I must be doing something wrong...I have copied the audio file and changed permission, changed the alrm to "duck" and still nothing..
    no problem, here you go:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zh4dr7
    Last edited by jrentzke; 01-04-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

jrentzke i used ur files everything but still it wont work...
    i have autlock set to never if i get a call while phone asleep can;t it work?
    like when it goes back immediately to sleep right? doesnt it work?
    i tried uninstalling also and reinstalling deleting the files and replacing them but nothing at all

Thanks

Hey jrentzke you added a file attachment before that it would go off every 10sec. I got that to work and I changed the sleep time to 60. But when the phone is in sleep mode it doesn't work, plus when someone called with bocked ID it didn't work. I can't get your own personal settings to work for some reason. Yes I copied playaudio file and renamed it to playaudio2. Plus I changed the ring to doorbell and digital. Any idea's?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Scared as hell for a minute....
    I am on a 1.1.1 Jailbreak AT&T, BSD/Erika util...
    I was using Iphonebrowser to view the smsnotify.sh file..started out simple by saving the file to desktop.. changing the 15 to 30 and replace file back into iphonebrowser.. so I shut off/turn on phone and it was really slow... everytime it came on it would soft reset, tried picking installer to uninstall but it would freeze then soft reset itself.. Had to go into iphonebrowser (after about 20 minutes of the phone shutting off and on) and delete the usr/local/smsnotify folder, reset and it is running back to norm... what the hell went wrong, think I will w8 until th program is released with a longer time and option to turn on/off sound/vibrate!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope someone can make a GUI with the following issues fixed.

-Program needs to cut if the phone is shut off. Right now if you shut it off without dialing out it makes the phone lag at start up and plays the sound before spingboard comes up

-Program needs to cut after missed calls are viewed/bubble cleared from screen instead of having to call out.

-Program need to run even after the phone is asleep like NES does

-Program needs to alert even on calls marked as Unknown.

-Program needs to restart every time a new call comes in. Right now once you call out to cancel the sound it won't restart again unless you reboot.

If you have any other issues add them here and I am going to make a new post in the App Request section with all the issues adressed.

BTW I got it to continue making the noise by setting it at 15 secs and making my ringtone 10secs by adding silence to it. The thing is I think the reason its working like this is that by doing this the phone is not going to sleep being that the time between alerts is too short so it may drain the battery a lot.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

LOL! I had an hell ova expierence today... but it was cool. Phone would boot, but blank screen, then after a little bit, it would reboot itself, and do same thing over and over again.

Tried to put it in restore mode... wouldnt happen, holding power and home key would flash apple logo, go blank, flash apple logo again, go blank, stay blank....

Tried at least 11 times, but no go.

Finally get home, connect to PC, get it into restore mode, used iBrckr to boot, blank screen, logged in with winscp, deleted the folder where this hack rested, rebooted.... In good.

Small scare, but nothing too serious... I knew my baby would come back.. She missed me.

I believe that this issue happend in the result of having an text message that had been recieved, but not checking it, and then rebooting device, and being on unlocked device, the voicemail indication and sms notification from the hack may have conflicted... My only guess.

But hell ova hack, cant wait for an update!
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I notice Erica's Utilities tells you to add a path to your settings when it installs, but it doesn't tell you how to do that. Perhaps that's why the sounds aren't working?

Green Apple
    Thanks

It actually means if you want to use any of the script in your own Mod script you have to add that path for it to work. The path was added in the .sh file.

Quote Originally Posted by _Gabe_ View Post
    I notice Erica's Utilities tells you to add a path to your settings when it installs, but it doesn't tell you how to do that. Perhaps that's why the sounds aren't working?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SiLeNtKiLLa View Post
    LOL! I had an hell ova expierence today... but it was cool. Phone would boot, but blank screen, then after a little bit, it would reboot itself, and do same thing over and over again.

Tried to put it in restore mode... wouldnt happen, holding power and home key would flash apple logo, go blank, flash apple logo again, go blank, stay blank....

Tried at least 11 times, but no go.

Finally get home, connect to PC, get it into restore mode, used iBrckr to boot, blank screen, logged in with winscp, deleted the folder where this hack rested, rebooted.... In good.

Small scare, but nothing too serious... I knew my baby would come back.. She missed me.

I believe that this issue happend in the result of having an text message that had been recieved, but not checking it, and then rebooting device, and being on unlocked device, the voicemail indication and sms notification from the hack may have conflicted... My only guess.

But hell ova hack, cant wait for an update!
    i encountered the same problm i sued ibricker to delete the smsnotify.sh and finally booted up careful ppl dont mess ur iphones up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by at004 View Post
    i encountered the same problm i sued ibricker to delete the smsnotify.sh and finally booted up careful ppl dont mess ur iphones up
    This might have happened because the .sh file got screwed. Of course, deleting the .sh file via ssh will get the phone back to springboard again.

As I said before, the code in the file can't mess the phone up, but what is done with/to the code & file, could. Check syntax & permissions.