+ Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Categories

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by rasbill ... should label them as beta if they are beta... You can safely assume all applications are in beta until SDK comes out and apple starts
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rasbill View Post
    ... should label them as beta if they are beta...
    You can safely assume all applications are in beta until SDK comes out and apple starts verifying the applications by themselves
    Each application you install has potential to brick your phone, I believe it's the user responsibility to be more carefull with the "install" button.
    bitchin at bigboss is very... lame.
    Last edited by piranha; 12-30-2007 at 11:55 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rasbill's Avatar
    Thanks

im not ******** at anyone what the **** is wrong with you people, i didnt insult anyone or anything, i just think what right is to label something as beta or potentially damaging, something that would take the developer a couple of keystrokes. are you all ******* 10 years old or something
    Last edited by Eurisko; 12-31-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks

Bo, but you apparently are. Or its taking you a long time to learn to speak civily.

If you don't understand that violating Apple's terms of service to install applications created by reverse-engineering APIs and and compiled with an experimental toolchain means everything you install is at your own risk, you should go back to factory firmware and wait for April.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Hey hey, everyone calm down. This app is working GREAT for me! A little lag when it launches the categories, but thats ok for me. I redid the background image as well as the blue gradient deal didn't work right for me, but this app is very useful! Thanks markmon...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow. Things are getting a little heated here. Do we need all the back and forth and blaming the developers for an app that could harm your phone. After all its already doing something it was not meant to do. So anything after jailbreaking your phone is at your own risk. Obviously there will be apps that will still be in a beta form. Should they be marked as beta, maybe. Some warning before installing telling the user that this could screw up your phone, possibly. But anything could mess up your phone. Thats a risk in itself. I had the same problem and was able to get my phone back to its original state before it was messed up. I would rather take a few minutes rearranging the icons, than doing a restore on the phone and starting over from scratch. Things like this are bound to happen, thats why we have smart people on these forums to help you get your phone issues fixed without doing a complete restore. These developers spend there time developing these apps. Without them, we wouldnt even be able to do what we do now on these phones. Everyone who installs these apps assumes some responsibilty if the phone gets screwed up. Thats just the chance we all take.

Green Apple
    Thanks

[I'm an Ipod Touch 1.1.2]

Ok, I feel the need to jump for geek joy here This is what so many of us have been waiting for! Forget stacks. Forget clever little launchers... gimmie folders (categories)! Thank you so much.

I'm sure it was much harder to put together than I'm going to over-simplify here, but it's amazing how easily this comes together. Categories.app creates little launcher packages not unlike the web shortcuts apps people have written and once they're created, they end up as an app in your applications directory. Or do they?... Actually, they're Sim-linked in the applications directory. But they actually live in /var/root/Library/Categories/your_name.app

Regardless of their home location, they behave as regular apps so in turn, they play nicely with the Customize.app. For example, if you have a Category called "Games" and an icon named Games.png in your Summerboard theme, your Games categories' icon will be automatically trumped with your Summerboard theme icon. Likewise, you can move/re-order your categories using Customize. (My dock is now: Ipod-Videos-Installer-Safari-"Games": Category containing all my games.)

Want to change the default blueish gradient background that comes up behind your Categories when you launch them? At first it looks like you could go into the Applications/Categories.app directory and change the launcherbackground.png but No. It seems that the author of Categories.app is looking forward to a future version where each Category can have its own unique background image. (I'm putting my vote in here that there be an option for your created categories to follow your default wallpaper, and in case you need to, the option to customize them individually with their own image.)

For each category you create and want to add a custom background, you'll need to go to /var/root/Library/Categories and replace the Default.png with your chosen image. (These background pngs are standard Wallpaper just like what you use elsewhere on your iPhone or iPot.)

If you don't want to go the SummerBoard route of changing your category icons, you can add icons to the default Categories set by SSH'ing them into the Applications/Categories.app/icons directory.
    Last edited by myboot; 12-30-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks

Can someone post some screenshots? Im kind of interested in this app...

Thanks

That program screwed up my iPod Touch, I had to reformat everything all over again. My advice?
    DON'T USE IT!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

rasbill has a point and i don't know why you people fail to see it. If its not been tested enough and is an application that changes important stuff on you phone it should be clearly stated.

Thanks

this works ok on my iphone 1.1.2 uk version slight problem some games go into the folder but do not disapear of springboard domino`s for one. one more question

if i decided to uninstall categories will the apps and games go back to springboard.

can u add an option to put back an app?

Thanks

im loving this application and the ability to categorize all the apps on ur iphone..the only problem i see is, for example..i created an app called messaging and in it i have , text message app, mms app, aim app etc..but some one text me and i dint know it cuz there was no notification or the little bubble showing up stating u have a text message, can tis type of stuff be fixed while using the categorize application?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Every app you install has a risk of corrupting your phone. Just like any piece of software, or app in this case, there can always be bugs. I had a problem with this app when I deleted it, but fortunately searching through these forums I was able to find help and in turn help another who was having problems getting his fixed. He was using iBrickr and it wouldnt work so I suggested using iphonelist for him and at first he said it didnt work, but he looked at the size of the M68AP.plist and saw that it was 0k and deleted it and installed it again and now his phone is fixed. So we all assume some risk with these apps, its just an acceptable risk we must take. But like I said before, I can see where letting the user know its a beta. Remember, these developers are doing this for us and only asking for donations. Keep up the good work markmon....

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you are using a launcher, Iswitcher, ITaunter, Ibitcher, or something like Customize that changes the way your icons are displayed or your home screen appearance, you might want to disable or remove it before trying Categories. (Or wait until someone posts an "All clear" that it works with Categories".)

I was pleasently surprised when Categories played so well with Customize. But like anyone else venturing into the unknown, I fully expected to install a buggy pain-in-the-butt alpha product that would force me to restore my iPot.

Here are some screenshots. No problems whatsoever on 1.1.2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Categories-one.jpg   Categories-two.jpg   Categories-three.jpg   Categories-four.jpg   Categories-five.jpg  
    Last edited by myboot; 12-30-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks

This is a great application. I had some of the icon visibility issues but quickly discovered that I could set the visibility options in either Customize or xLaunch until everything showed up the way I wanted it. Now I just have to mod the icons to match my Summerboard.

Developer
    Thanks

This is a great application. I had some of the icon visibility issues but quickly discovered that I could set the visibility options in either Customize or xLaunch until everything showed up the way I wanted it. Now I just have to mod the icons to match my Summerboard.
    Once it's stable, I'll add support for summerboard theming.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

amf
    Green Apple
    Thanks

markmon, maybe you can put an option to change icons for existing categories and option to hide apps (from the list within categories) that have already been included in a category (ex., Weather and Stocks are already in Web category. They would no longer appear in the list when adding apps to Media category).

Thanks!

Developer
    Thanks

markmon, maybe you can put an option to change icons for existing categories and option to hide apps (from the list within categories) that have already been included in a category (ex., Weather and Stocks are already in Web category. They would no longer appear in the list when adding apps to Media category).
    These are all good ideas. I have the first one on my "todo" list already but it was going to take some time so I didnt do it yet. The second one is a good idea. I can add an option to the config screen "allow in multiple categories" or something similar and when it is set to NO it behaves as you suggest.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rasbill View Post
    well i also asked that people posting apps to there repositories should label them as beta if they are beta, i downloaded it in installer, thru bigboss , didnt say beta on it, i clicked on more info, didnt say beta or anything, actually has a nice layout of how it works.
    Did the very large "Stability Warning" pop-up not give you a clue?

Quote Originally Posted by myboot View Post

Here are some screenshots. No problems whatsoever on 1.1.2
    Hey, can you post that rainbow background? I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by markmon View Post
    Hello, I just downgraded a phone and got it debugged and working on 1.0.2. Man you're fast to grab it. I just posted it 2 hours ago for beta testers Anyways, I fixed it and got it all working on 1.0.2 also. (Now just to see if a iTouch user can report in).
    Loving this app so far. One suggestion/request? Would it be possible to change the title/icon after the category has been created? Instead of having to delete the whole thing and start over?
    Last edited by Eurisko; 12-31-2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

amf
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markmon View Post
    These are all good ideas. I have the first one on my "todo" list already but it was going to take some time so I didnt do it yet. The second one is a good idea. I can add an option to the config screen "allow in multiple categories" or something similar and when it is set to NO it behaves as you suggest.
    Thanks!

Tried your latest version and it's working good. Thank you for your effort!

Happy New Year!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Anyone running into the same issue as me after updating. Once Customize icon was added to app Im unable to hide or show icons through customize by launching through Categories app or Customize app itself.

I am able to hide icons and have them re-appear thought Categories with Hid Apps enabled, but Theres icons I want hidden without it being in an categroy lists. I.E. Categories app, I would rather launch from dock than in the category lists, just in case sumthing goes wrong with the list itself.

EDIT: A simple uninstall and reinstall of customize did the fix for me... Thanks!
    Last edited by SiLeNtKiLLa; 12-31-2007 at 10:18 AM.
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)