View Poll Results: I installed Caissa and ....

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • it works fine, firmware 1.0.2

    1 1.18%
  • It works somewhat but unstable, firmware 1.0.2

    0 0%
  • It doesn't work, , firmware 1.0.2

    16 18.82%
  • it works fine, firmware 1.1.1

    14 16.47%
  • It works somewhat but unstable, firmware 1.1.1

    4 4.71%
  • It doesn't work, firmware 1.1.1

    8 9.41%
  • it works fine, firmware 1.1.2

    26 30.59%
  • It works somewhat but unstable, firmware 1.1.2

    11 12.94%
  • It doesn't work, firmware 1.1.2

    2 2.35%
  • it works fine on ipod

    1 1.18%
  • It works somewhat but unstable on ipod

    0 0%
  • It doesn't work on my ipod

    2 2.35%
+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 115

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Caissa

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by luistohe123 I received multiple emails suggesting that THIS IS THE METHOD, BUT I DONT HAVE SHH WORKING RIGHT NOW (cause of stupid Toggle ), SO WITH WHAT
...
  1. #21
    Green Apple ioffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luistohe123 View Post
    I received multiple emails suggesting that

    THIS IS THE METHOD, BUT I DONT HAVE SHH WORKING RIGHT NOW (cause of stupid Toggle ), SO WITH WHAT OTHER PROGRAM OR APPLICATIONS CAN I WRITE THIS COMMAND?
    Use Terminal.app. Same thing and don't forget to reboot.

  2. #22
    iPhoneaholic HotStuff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

    I sent this to ioffe, but thought I'd ask you guys feedback as well. I couldn't get his icon "stock" looking enough for me, so I took the default iPhone blue icon, and merged it with the Windows Vista "Chess Titans" icon, and came up with this. Thinking about changing it to a checkerboard background instead, maybe brown/off-white or something...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to HotStuff2 For This Useful Post:

    ioffe (01-01-2008)

  4. #23
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by HotStuff2 View Post
    I sent this to ioffe, but thought I'd ask you guys feedback as well. I couldn't get his icon "stock" looking enough for me, so I took the default iPhone blue icon, and merged it with the Windows Vista "Chess Titans" icon, and came up with this. Thinking about changing it to a checkerboard background instead, maybe brown/off-white or something...
    Yes, it could use a new icon. This one looks great.

  5. #24
    Theme Creator armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,310
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 591 Times in 365 Posts

    I believe that ioffe will be using another icon



    unless he likes the above better (which would be completely fine with me).
    Come visit AlohaSoft

  6. #25
    iPhoneaholic HotStuff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by evilcakebox View Post
    Yes, it could use a new icon. This one looks great.
    Thanks. I thought it turned out nicely too. Very simple, yet elegant. And looks like it could be "stock", which is always a plus with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    I believe that ioffe will be using another icon



    unless he likes the above better (which would be completely fine with me).
    That one is cool too; I also really like the one Roboto is using for their Chess game (based on GNU chess), but ioffe and I have been talking, and he feels that the image/icon he's using now has become "synonomous" with Caissa, and he doesn't want to change it. He's the author, so it's his baby. I'm working on making the image more "iPhone"-like, with rounded corners and whatnot. It's not as easy as it seems, though, since the corners come out very jagged unless I use a lighter drop shadow, which ioffe doesn't like.

    Speaking of which...I can't believe he's had over 80k downloads, and only TWO people have donated anything. Funny thing is, both people are from Florida (me, and someone else, who that is, though, I don't know.) I mean, geez...would it be so hard to kick in at least a buck or something?

  7. #26
    Developer
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 145 Times in 83 Posts

    # cat /private/etc/fstab
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw,noexec 0 2
    Ioffe, I do the same thing in bossprefs. When moving the /Applications folder, I correct the fstab, prompt the user that this had to be fixed, and reboot the system. I think you could do the same thing. Just grep /etc/fstab for noexec. If you see it, rewrite it. Just two quick fprintf's do the job nicely.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

  8. #27
    Green Apple ioffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Imagine, APPL will start selling apps like Caissa via iTunes store. How much do you think it would cost?

    5.99 or 9.99 or perhaps 19.99

    why people would sponsor corporate predatory practices is beyond my understanding. I replied to every single email that was sent to me. I helped every one who knew how to shh and had 1.1.1+ firmware. Why pay, if you can just have it for free, mind you with decent support options.

    Have you ever tried to resolve your (iTunes) issue with apple support for the products you actually paid real money? If you have, you know exactly what I am implying here.
    I am simply enjoying working on wonderful platform with very interesting and talented people(aka. iPhone hackers community). I need money to for the hardware(iphones, laptops, servers, hosting/registry/backup charges, software licenses, etc...). My wife just wouldn't understand, if i'll buy another iphone($450) for 1.0.2 builds. We have 4 month old baby and only one income. I just can't. Sorry 1.0.2 crowd.

    If every fifth would commit a dollar, I would have all the equipment needed and costs covered. Another important thing I would like to emphasize here. So far, Apple released only one feature update iTunesStore.app. If in 1.1.3 there would be new features, it us (iphone programmers) who drive apple to give you new features. People just refuse to upgrade their handhelds in order to have our apps. Apple can not afford to loose their own platform and they will move their butts quickly now.

    GOOGLE give us million bucks, we'll port your OS on iphone


    Too bad people like Steve Fosset die

  9. #28
    Theme Creator armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,310
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 591 Times in 365 Posts

    Just so people don't get the impression that I'm trying to shove my icons down people's throats. ioffe had in fact asked me in a PM whether he could the icon, which I had originally posted in the Aqwoah thread. He did not relay his decision to not use it after that and that's why I posted what I did in the post above. So if the original icon remains or is changed to any other icon is completely fine with me.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

  10. #29
    Green Apple ioffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    Ioffe, I do the same thing in bossprefs. When moving the /Applications folder, I correct the fstab, prompt the user that this had to be fixed, and reboot the system. I think you could do the same thing. Just grep /etc/fstab for noexec. If you see it, rewrite it. Just two quick fprintf's do the job nicely.
    I will not do it I am in business of developing iphone games. Tools for hacking iPhones is just not my speciality. In theory, it wouldn't do it any way. You need to reboot after that alteration. People may feel Caissa comes from Windows background, since it requires reboot after install

    I will suggest everyone in trouble to install bossprefs, if Caissa doesn't work for 'em

    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Just so people don't get the impression that I'm trying to shove my icons down people's throats. ioffe had in fact asked me in a PM whether he could the icon, which I had originally posted in the Aqwoah thread. He did not relay his decision to not use it after that and that's why I posted what I did in the post above. So if the original icon remains or is changed to any other icon is completely fine with me.
    Yes, I did ask permission in case someone interested. However I don't feel like changing stock graphics at this point. May be during final beta releases,we will do some major graphics facelift. Right now there are so much things to do, so it makes this exercise practically pointless.

    I do think that Armadillo does incredible art work.

    Sir, Caissa dev team and would love to have your graphics of any kind. Boards, Pieces, splash, icon anything that is .png. We have customization support in 0.83. I'd gladly package into dedicated addon and release it via our official distribution chain. It is a lot of work, forgive me for my wishful thinking
    Last edited by ioffe; 01-01-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #30
    iPhoneaholic HotStuff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ioffe View Post
    I do think that Armadillo does incredible art work.

    Sir, Caissa dev team and would love to have your graphics of any kind. Boards, Pieces, splash, icon anything that is .png. We have customization support in 0.83. I'd gladly package into dedicated addon and release it via our official distribution chain. It is a lot of work, forgive me for my wishful thinking
    Agreed, Armadillo does some excellent graphical work.

    Here's an idea, that as of yet I haven't seen any apps support, but IMHO would be a welcome idea: alternative Springboard icons, user-selectable from within the app. I personally like my icon for Caissa:



    And Armadillo's icon is pretty cool too:



    Maybe inside the app, under options/preferences, there would be an option to choose "alternative" Springboard icons, which would automatically rename the icon to "icon.png", then re-start Springboard (effectively putting the new icon in use.) Right now, I use SSH to accomplish this, but having it in the app as a native solution along with a few alternative icons would be a great step IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by ioffe View Post
    ...If every fifth would commit a dollar, I would have all the equipment needed and costs covered.
    I know, right? 80k+ downloads, and only two donations. Like you said, if only one FIFTH of the downloaders gave ONE DOLLAR, that would mean you'd make $16,000 for your hard work and frankly, be rewarded for your generosity in giving away your product for free. Seriously...one in five people, give a dollar. How hard can that be?

    I do believe that some of the more advanced features you're developing (and yes, folks, ioffe has some ambitious plans for Caissa, like head-to-head internet play with dedicated Caissa servers) should be charged for. Maybe a one-time fee, or maybe a monthly fee. If you play chess a lot, and it only cost you, say, one dollar a month to play head-to-head against people from all over the world, wouldn't it be worth it?

  12. #31
    Green Apple ioffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    HotStuff2

    Listen, you can create your addon, even if there would be only 1 icon.

    Code:
    restartSpringboard 
    true
    In installer script, would do the trick. I'll put it on caissa.us .You contributed to this project so much, so you deserve special treatment
    Last edited by ioffe; 01-02-2008 at 09:11 AM.

  13. #32
    iPhoneaholic HotStuff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

    LOL trying to create a repo of my own has been an ordeal, which I never have gotten right. I really need to get that figured out.

  14. #33
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I have 1.1.2, Caissa runs but at the start of game, I mistakenly pulled the queen instead of the pawn and it placed the queen where the pawn suppose to be.

    Also, I prefer if the chess pieces didn't look stretched.

    I'm using gnu chess right now.

  15. #34
    iPhoneaholic HotStuff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jackNjill View Post
    I have 1.1.2, Caissa runs but at the start of game, I mistakenly pulled the queen instead of the pawn and it placed the queen where the pawn suppose to be.
    What version of Caissa are you using? I've been unable to duplicate this (although granted, I'm running an internal beta build from ioffe from last night.)

    Quote Originally Posted by jackNjill View Post
    Also, I prefer if the chess pieces didn't look stretched.
    I have no clue what you mean. The pieces are perfect, and not stretched in the least.

    I
    Quote Originally Posted by jackNjill View Post
    'm using gnu chess right now.
    Caissa kills it hands-down.

  16. #35
    Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    Posts
    1,321
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by HotStuff2 View Post
    ICaissa kills it hands-down.
    Are you speaking feature-wise or strength-wise?

  17. #36
    Green Apple ioffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    DISCLAIMER
    As a member of Caissa dev team, I am a bit subjected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    Are you speaking feature-wise or strength-wise?
    Actually both-wise

    Quote Originally Posted by jackNjill View Post
    I have 1.1.2, Caissa runs but at the start of game, I mistakenly pulled the queen instead of the pawn and it placed the queen where the pawn suppose to be.

    Also, I prefer if the chess pieces didn't look stretched.

    I'm using gnu chess right now.
    • Yes, we do have a problem you described(should be fixed in 0.84)
    • I don't get it. What do you mean by "look streched" ?

    Thanks for your feedback,
    Last edited by ioffe; 01-03-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  18. #37
    Theme Creator armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,310
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 591 Times in 365 Posts

    where did the chess pieces originate? I think what he means is that they look a bit to wide-stretched. Are these original images or were they resized from larger originals?
    Come visit AlohaSoft

  19. #38
    Green Apple ioffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jackNjill View Post
    I have 1.1.2, Caissa runs but at the start of game, I mistakenly pulled the queen instead of the pawn and it placed the queen where the pawn suppose to be.
    fixed in 0.84

  20. #39
    Theme Creator armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,310
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 591 Times in 365 Posts

    Just thought I would link to the chess boards and pieces I made for Caissa.

    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24386

    ioffe: Can you PM me with the specifics of how you place the pieces on the board? What are the dimensions of the pieces and the coordinates relative to the board. Also, for testing purposes, where do I put the boards and the pieces so Caissa will let me select them?
    Come visit AlohaSoft

  21. #40
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Just thought I would link to the chess boards and pieces I made for Caissa.

    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24386

    ioffe: Can you PM me with the specifics of how you place the pieces on the board? What are the dimensions of the pieces and the coordinates relative to the board. Also, for testing purposes, where do I put the boards and the pieces so Caissa will let me select them?
    Go to Media/Caissa/images/pieces, they're all in there.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 01-06-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts