+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Funiculus Guitar Tuner - v0.01 (testers needed)

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hey guys, Funiculus Guitar Tuner, v0.01 (alpha) is now in the downloads section of its SourceForge project http://sourceforge.net/projects/funiculus/ . The sourcecode is also up-to-date for those that want to build
    JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Default Funiculus Guitar Tuner - v0.01 (testers needed)
    Hey guys,
    Funiculus Guitar Tuner, v0.01 (alpha) is now in the downloads section of its SourceForge project http://sourceforge.net/projects/funiculus/.
    The sourcecode is also up-to-date for those that want to build it themselves. I just got it working a few hours ago, so it's nothing great yet...this is not an official launch, just a very very early screening.

If you do play guitar and get a chance to use it, please give me feedback, specifically your firmware version, your type of guitar, which strings were troublesome, and whatever else.

Note: because this uses the internal microphone, it will only work on iPhones(!!) and not on the iPod Touch.

So far, it's only been tested on my iPhone running 1.1.1 and using a (6-stringed) Yamaha 12 string acoustic guitar. The higher strings work well, but the low E almost doesn't register. I've found (on my guitar at least) that putting the setting to high E will allow one to more easily tune the low E. (It apparently registers in additional octaves.)

Assuming it actually semi-works for others, I will probably add a couple of additional tuning types, specifically mandolin and banjo.

Real-time frequency detection uses some heavy math, and combined with the process of audio input, this is not a light-weight program in terms of battery usage. So don't forget about it while tuning your guitar and leave it running...

Thanks,
    JLA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JLA For This Useful Post:

Blackwidow74 (12-24-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this is a very useful app. i can`t wait for the updates. thanx

Thanks

How does it work? I don't hear any sound when I press the corresponding string. Thanks!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Awesome. I'll try it out today - 2 Christmas Eve services, ha. Ready to mirror in the MMi repository, too?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This is surprisingly sensitive and accurate! It detects all six strings of my acoustic with no problem, and closely agrees with my intellitouch Tuner, which is a decent piece of hardware.

It would be nice if it had automatic range detection (or even displayed the note name), but it's a fantastic start and an impressive piece of work. Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

And here's a little icon I whipped up for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Default Looks good.
    Hey, this app sounds good, havn't tried it yet myself, iPhone still hasn't arrived because of christmas and all that, so it's been held up in the post.

Anyway, I'm not 100% what the app does so far but since i'm perpetually losing my tuner this will be the first app that goes on my iPhone.

Just in the case that it doesn't already, it would be brilliant if you could also add some alternate tunings, Drop C, Drop D, Placebo, few other ones. (I don't know if this is relevent to your tuner and the way it works?

Since I have seen it mentioned, I think auto-ranging and detection of string and note display on the screen, surely you can display an image or text of the note for given frequency ranges?

I look forward to trying this app and hopefully watch it develop.

Next thing we'll need is guitar effects app, input via dock connector and output from headphones jack :P Now that really would take some! Hehe.

Peace and Merry Christmas every one.

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    And here's a little icon I whipped up for it.
    Thanks for the icon...I've buttonized it a little.

I'll add it to the SVN repository...

I think automatic string sensing is a definite possibility. I originally had set out to do it that way, but I switched over to manual because it's more accurate...but I may have something where you can choose which one.

It's also currently set up only to recognize notes one semitone above and below the true tone, so it won't help too much with a drastically out-of-tune guitar, although I can probably expand the range without too much harm.

Does the tuner detect your low E string when it is set on high E?

Thanks,
    JLA

Thanks

Default Great
    I don't think detecting a drastically out of tune guitar should be a necessary, I mean, I think we just need this to keep in tune, if we're worrying about changing strings etc we'll use the right equipment.

Since you have said it can detect a semitone above or below that should be sufficient, still though, since you are capable of this, it would be nice to have the exact semitone we are at displayed if not the exact note we want, just so we can see at a glance which way we want to tune.

Look forward to trying this app, various other similar apps on my Nokia's N95, N70 and N91 have worked pretty decent and even had varying success with an unplugged electric, would be good to see how capable this is in comparison.

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alias_neo View Post

Just in the case that it doesn't already, it would be brilliant if you could also add some alternate tunings, Drop C, Drop D, Placebo, few other ones. (I don't know if this is relevent to your tuner and the way it works?
    That's a good idea, but someone would need to tell me which notes are in each of the tunings... I seem to remember using Drop D . And then there was the Keith Richards tuning...
    Perhaps user-customizable string settings...

Quote Originally Posted by alias_neo View Post
    Next thing we'll need is guitar effects app, input via dock connector and output from headphones jack :P Now that really would take some! Hehe.
    That would be cool...I'm thinking of a Peter Frampton type thing, but instead of the microphone-in-mouth thing, it uses the movement of the phone via accelerometers to modulate the sound, where perhaps the iPhone is attached to one's arm. But that one will be at the bottom of my todo list.

JLA

Thanks

Well, Drop D is simply dropping the High E to a D, Double Drop D drops both E's to a D, Drop C is C,G,C,F,A,D, Placebo Tuning: F,A#,D#,G#,C,C. There are of course countless others but like you say, user customisable string tuning would be better suited since otherwise the classical guitarists and spanish guitarists etc would find the app with tunings such as those suited to me most useless.

Now the sound box idea with using the accelerometer by attaching the phone to your arm would be a brilliant POC idea and just something to down right show off, but agreed, bottom of to-do pile because it's pretty useless and involved otherwise.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    omg this is absolutely amazing, but i pray and beg you to make a bass tuner, i will do anything and test

Thanks

Running 1.1.2 OTB, works great!

NOTE: Please chmod the files to 0755 before use
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Well, electric basses really aren't loud enough...not sure about acoustic basses. But it seems that bass notes might be a little too low pitch for the microphone, which was presumably designed for human voice. I have trouble registering my low E (but low E registers great with high E). But I'm just speculating...I haven't tested it, and I'm sure someone could figure out a way. I'm wondering if testing the octave above is a suitable method for some notes...
    BTW, if everyone who has used it can do me the favor of testing low E with the high E button selected, and compare this to how low E does on low E.
    Thanks
    JLA

Okay, I thought I'd post a few screenshots...if you can't tell, I recycled my Garf stuff.

For those who aren't familiar with what this program does:

The green meter on the right is the amplitude meter, just to let you know the mic input is working.

The seven stars lined up represent where your string is to where it should be. You select what string you are tuning, you play the string, and watch what happens...the green circle is where you want to be. This should correspond to +/- 5 cents, which is supposedly less than the just-noticeable-difference.

The next red circle represents between 5 and 15 cents, the next is 15 - 50 cents, and the last red circle represents a greater than 50 cent different (i.e. a half of a semitone).

And of course, left of the green circle means flat, right means sharp.

Next to the frequency printout is the absolute difference in your pitch and the proper pitch (frequency=tone=pitch).

These shots are from: http://software.mauvila.com/funiculus/
    Last edited by JLA; 12-25-2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

better skinzzz. seriously if it looked like a real guitar tuner, how cool would that be

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Ultimately I'm planning on a customizable UI via a config menu. So if anyone wants to start submitting skins (or even code), you'd be more than welcome.
    JLA

PS The (new) current icon is courtesy of DaveiPhone...it will be on the next version.
    Name:  funiculus.png
Views: 228
Size:  8.6 KB
    Last edited by JLA; 12-25-2007 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Added icon

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

I can make some skins for ya. OK if we pop the next version on our installer source?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

You can put it in the repository, but first, I think it needs a better GUI (skins, etc), and better pitch detection. If you want to do some skins, that'd be great. I am also working on the multiple tunings (other instruments + other guitar tunings). The pitch detection is fine for some, but for me and some others, it doesn't work well with the bottom E.

I also plan to have an optional automatic string detection.
    JLA

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

installing now... and very excited about this!! i've been hoping someone would make an app like this!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Any chance on making a general tuner - has the pointer to sharp or flat so many cents or whatnot with the pitch shown in the center. This would make it much more applicable in more areas - such as my needs for clarinet/sax tuning.

Great work actually using that mic and taking advantage of it !!!!!!