+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New App: SpeedDial

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I whipped up a quick app for speed dialing (at request of my wife). Get it from my installer repository: http://sleepers.net/iphonerepo (add to installer). Speed Dial allows you to add
    Developer
    Thanks

Default New App: SpeedDial
    I whipped up a quick app for speed dialing (at request of my wife). Get it from my installer repository: http://sleepers.net/iphonerepo (add to installer).

Speed Dial allows you to add some speed dial numbers into your phone. This was something all phones have that Apple left out. Now you can add names and numbers and store them so they can be dialed with one click. The app also will launch contacts for you so you can remove the contacts off your desktop if you use it.

You can also add 60x60 thumbnails with the user's picture by copying that picture to the /var/root/Library/SpeedDial directory. Name the png the same name as the name of the contact (ie: Fred Smith would have "Fred Smith.png" file).

Here is a screen shot of the app in action:
    http://www.sleepers.net/~iphone/scre...edDialMain.jpg

In the future, I want to interface with the address book and pull numbers/pictures from that. I would also like to make more of a grid view with say 6 large photos on the screen. Anyways, this is enough for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New App: SpeedDial-speeddialmain.jpg  
    Last edited by BigBoss; 12-19-2007 at 03:00 PM.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBoss For This Useful Post:

gastonm (12-20-2007), jtanner (12-20-2007)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Very nice, I like useful apps.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I don't know...
    Double-clicking the home button to bring up my favorites list seems easier. Including contacts pictures is a nice touch, though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not to sound unappreciative, but beyond allowing for a pic to the contact in speed dial, how does this add functionality over the double tapping the home button to bring up favorites, which is effectively a speed dial.

Thanks

Maybe some folks have a different use for the double-click, like iPod control. Here's a choice.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Developer
    Thanks

Not to sound unappreciative, but beyond allowing for a pic to the contact in speed dial, how does this add functionality over the double tapping the home button to bring up favorites, which is effectively a speed dial.
    Like all apps, if you don't have use for it you should (by all means) not install or run it This is useful for those that have the ipod controls linked to double tap (me) plus the buttons are way bigger than on the favorites screen. The real use here is when driving. My phone is mounted and I have to press a button on it while watching the road. The bigger the button the better. I write all apps for myself and then share them
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Green Apple
    Thanks

markmon

Many thanks ...i have been looking for this for ages ....

Very handy when im in the car ...lines are much bigger than the favorites and much easy to push ..just what i wanted..

How about say 6 or 9 pictures to push insted of the lines ..now that would be ace ...keep up the good work

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i have my home button set to iPod so i think its great

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    PERFECT!!

This is what i needed!!

I indeed will use it when it is in my carkit!! This is the perfect solution for someone with big fingers

Thanks and hope for more features!!

One question :
    Where is the standard contact button for??
    It does do nothing when i click on it???

And do you know where the pictures are stored which i use at this moment as contact pictures???
    Last edited by mnidhk; 12-20-2007 at 05:01 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gastonm's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markmon View Post
    I whipped up a quick app for speed dialing (at request of my wife). Get it from my installer repository: http://sleepers.net/iphonerepo (add to installer).

Speed Dial allows you to add some speed dial numbers into your phone. This was something all phones have that Apple left out. Now you can add names and numbers and store them so they can be dialed with one click. The app also will launch contacts for you so you can remove the contacts off your desktop if you use it.

You can also add 60x60 thumbnails with the user's picture by copying that picture to the /var/root/Library/SpeedDial directory. Name the png the same name as the name of the contact (ie: Fred Smith would have "Fred Smith.png" file).

Here is a screen shot of the app in action:
    http://www.sleepers.net/~iphone/scre...edDialMain.jpg

In the future, I want to interface with the address book and pull numbers/pictures from that. I would also like to make more of a grid view with say 6 large photos on the screen. Anyways, this is enough for now.

This is a great app. The picture feature is awesome. Can't wait for some updates to it. (what you said about adding a grid view with larger pictures.)
    JESUS CHRIST SAVES

Unlocked Tmobile

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is super!!!
    i have been waiting for this app for a long time, and your first release looks super great.

i am looking forward to how this app matures.

ps, coverflow could be a nice option as well, i think i saw some coverflow app development, possible implement that as well.

good luck and thanks a million!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd like to see icon grid (2x2 icons would be awesome, but also 3x3 would work). And I'd like if you cold add a contact info text on every icon (icon would of course have a contact picture in its background).

Cheers!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can't wait this to have the bigger box grid with picture (like the htc touch has)
    it'll be alot easier to click on and a good combination with the hometap app
    =D

soda

Thanks

Installed, use with double tap; I luv it. The suggestions so far are great, is there any way to speed up the loading time?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Thank You!
    I love it! Also waiting for update. 2 columns will be great!

Thanks

yes, that would be lovely
    so any update on this yet?

soda

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    These are all good ideas. I have been way busy working on my "Categories" app. I plan to revisit this sometime in the future though. The speed dial app took me about an hour to write so it was just a quick and easy solution for my wife (by request).
    - Big Boss

Thanks

o man...thought we could see this sometimes soon
    maybe your wife would love it even more...
    =D

soda