Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: NetServices: Name change?
12-13-2007, 04:58 AM #1
12-13-2007, 06:35 AM #2
12-13-2007, 09:06 AM #3
what about iFuseBox...??
12-13-2007, 09:16 AM #4
what about net services!
12-13-2007, 11:08 AM #5
12-13-2007, 11:21 AM #6
Whats wrong with Netservices in the first place? But to put my vote in I like Fusebox, or iFusebox. Sounds cool to me...2.2 pwned!!
12-13-2007, 02:05 PM #7
Hey everyone - thanks for the enthusiasm for NetServices (or whatever it may be called). Here's a quick quideline: I love the name game, but to be honest I am very tired of the "i" anything naming convention so please offer up some options without it for NetServices to include as part of its new identity.
FYI - the top two in the running now are: NetServices (where have I heard that name before?) and FuseBox (thank you punkassjim for the idea).
Thanks for helping to make NetServices a better product.
The Following User Says Thank You to hartsteins For This Useful Post:
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM #8
Fusebox does sound cool, even if its not quite 100% descriptive. Nifty name..
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
12-13-2007, 05:58 PM #9
12-13-2007, 06:36 PM #10
I dunno..."FuseBox" just doesn't sound right to me. I know Greg said he didn't like the "i" moniker, but iServices does just sound "right" IMHO.
12-14-2007, 01:09 AM #11
Who cares? As long as the app works well.
I did notice something though... If you turn say, the BT off in net services, you can't turn it on in the preferences pane. Dunno why.
At any rate, as long as the app works well, you can name it... well, most of the names that come to mind right now would show up as censored.
Oh yeah. And I did vote. Netservices.Search NAZI
12-14-2007, 05:21 AM #12
I think the masses have spoken...iServices is winning by a huge margin!
Last edited by HotStuff2; 12-14-2007 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
12-14-2007, 07:23 AM #13
[QUOTE=HotStuff2;126245]Sure you can. I do it all the time for WiFi and Bluetooth. Not sure why it doesn't work for you, but for me (running 1.1.1) it works just fine either way. I can turn it off in NetServices and turn it on using the stock Preferences[\quote]
Perhaps of works for you, but it it doesn't work for me. I'm on 1.1.1 as well. Its no biggie, figured it was a bug.Search NAZI
12-14-2007, 09:35 AM #14
Well, if it were a bug, it would be happening to more than one person, and since we're both 1.1.1, it stands to reason I should be experiencing it as well, but I'm not. Ergo, it's a high probability it's something with your iPhone, not the app (nor a bug in the app) that's the problem.
edit: As a test, I just went into NetServices, turned off Bluetooth (and it shows OFF, as it should), exited NetServices, went in Preferences (stock iPhone), which shows Bluetooth turned OFF, turned on Bluetooth in Preferences, it then shows connected to my iPhone Bluetooth headset (so it really is on), then exited Preferences, went back in NetServices, and it shows Bluetooth as ON. (Which is exactly what it should have shown.)
Ergo, no problem, not a bug with the app IMHO.
Last edited by HotStuff2; 12-14-2007 at 09:44 AM.
12-14-2007, 09:52 AM #15
eh. Maybe sliding the switch on and off pwnz me. Either way, it does it on mine. I can deal with it, I'm not complaining. It was just an observation.Search NAZI
12-18-2007, 07:57 AM #16
How about Daemonoid?Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
12-18-2007, 09:24 AM #17
i don't understand, why change name?
12-18-2007, 03:54 PM #18
12-22-2007, 12:48 AM #19NetServices - Nothing turns your iPhone on like NetServices
Announcing......A Brand NEW NetServices!
Version 1.6.0 Update Available - Please update previous versions
NetServices is the premier preferences application that adds the capability to control a wide assortment of Network & Computer Sharing services.
TESTED ON iPHONE FIRMWARE 1.1.1 ONLY
(Please See Version History Below)
Included in Version 1.6.0 is control for:
- Airplane Mode
- DropBear SSH
- Apache Web Server
- Lighttpd Web Server
- Firefly Media Server
- AFP File Sharing
- Samba File Sharing
- Socks Proxy Server
- Auto-Lock (how soon iPhone locks)
- Safari File Sharing Plug-In
- iSpit Web Server
- Mail Fetch (how often mail is checked)
- International Data Roaming
- Current iPhone IP Address is also displayed.
- Relevant controls only appear if the corresponding service exists on iPhone.
- NOW WITH A BRAND NEW USER INTERFACE -
Adjust switch visibility and label names from inside the app!
Please Note: Many more service are available than shown, but only those installed on iPhone will appear.
It is important to note that NetServices does NOT install any of these extended services. NetServices simply provides a simple Graphical User Interface to turn them on & off. Many of the service installs may be found at CopyCoders repository source (see below).
Any questions regarding installing or maintainence of extended Newtork Services should be directed to the companies providing that specific software.
Any questions regarding NetServices or suggestions of ways to extend NetServices capabilities including additional services to add - please contact Greg Hartstein at [email protected]
You can get the latest copy of NetServices by adding CopyCoders to your installer sources and NetServices will become available under the CopyCoders heading.
- Open Installer
- Tap Sources along bottom navigation bar
- Tap Edit along top navigation bar
- Tap Add along top navigation bar
- Enter: http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/copycoders/copycoders.xml
- Tap OK
- Once Installer finishes adding source - Tap Done
- CopyCoders should now appear as a source in "Other Sources". If it does not -Tap Refresh.
- Tap Install along bottom navigation bar
- NetServices will now be available for installation under the "CopyCoders" heading.
For more information or questions about NetServices
Please visit http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/copycoders/index.html
Original Source Code by Chris Hoffman
Additional Source Code provided by Peter Iannucci
Interface Design by Drunknbass - monsterandfriends.com
Erica's Utilities coded by Erica Sadun - ericasadun.com
An enormous debt of gratitude is extended to the brilliant developers at iPhone-UIKit IRC for their tutelage, ideas, and never-ending patience.
1.6.0 - Update 12/21/07
- NEW Major User Interface upgrade
- NEW Airplane Mode Control Added
- NEW Auto-Snap Control Added
- NEW iSpit Web Server Control Added
- NEW Mail Fetch Control Added
- NEW International Data Roaming Control Added
- Socks scripts rebuilt
- Version Numbering Change
0.1.5 - Update 12/06/07
- Samba start/stop scripts rebuilt.
- NEW - File Sharing Plug-In - Switch File Sharing Plug-In on/off allowing Safari to alternate between streaming or downloading media.
0.1.4 - Update 12/03/07
- Samba start/stop scripts naming issue resolved.
- NEW - Auto-Lock - Turn Auto-Lock on & off to help maintain network connections.
- NEW - EDGE - A new method is being applied to disconnect EDGE network more consistently.
0.1.3 - Update 11/24/07
- Primarily Maintainence Update
- Ability to toggle Phone service has been temporarily removed until issues with iPhone FW 1.1.2 have been resolved.
- Several memory leaks have been patched.
- NEW - Installer Source - An assortment of Network Services have been added to the CopyCoder's Installer source.
0.1.2 - Update 11/23/07
- SSH launching issues have been resolved
- Phone service problem has yet to be replicated but now no longer follows On/Off state through restart. Should toggling phone service present a problem, simply restart iPhone to restore service.
- Additional search locations have been added for Tinyproxy's Launch Daemons in an effort to anticipate installation variations.
- NEW - Switch Visibility - Keys have been added to the settings file (inside NetServices.app folder) to set visibility of any switches. This is handy for services that are installed but rarely turned on or off.
0.1.1 - Initial Release
- Users reported issues with SSH not shutting down correctly
- User reported problems with phone service
- Tinyproxy service was not appearing after installation
Thank you for your ideas and help in making NetServices better.
12-22-2007, 07:10 AM #20
39.34% - the majority of people - favor changing the name to "iServices".