Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launchesforums, a part of the
3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touchsection;
Announcing...... A Brand NEW NetServices! Version 1.6.1 Update Available - Please update previous versions NetServices is the premier preferences application that adds the capability to control a wide assortment of...
11-22-2007, 03:47 AM #1NetServices.app - Nothing turns your iPhone on like NetServices
Announcing......A Brand NEW NetServices!
Version 1.6.1 Update Available - Please update previous versions
NetServices is the premier preferences application that adds the capability to control a wide assortment of Network & Computer Sharing services.
TESTED ON iPHONE FIRMWARE 1.1.1 ONLY
(Please See Version History Below)
Included in Version 1.6.0 is control for:
- Airplane Mode
- DropBear SSH
- Apache Web Server
- Lighttpd Web Server
- Firefly Media Server
- AFP File Sharing
- Samba File Sharing
- Socks Proxy Server
- Auto-Lock (how soon iPhone locks)
- Safari File Sharing Plug-In
- iSpit Web Server
- Mail Fetch (how often mail is checked)
- International Data Roaming
- Relevant controls only appear if the corresponding service exists on iPhone.
- NOW WITH A BRAND NEW USER INTERFACE -
Adjust switch visibility and label names from inside the app!
Please Note: Many more service are available than shown, but only those installed on iPhone will appear.
It is important to note that NetServices does NOT install any of these extended services. NetServices simply provides a simple Graphical User Interface to turn them on & off. Many of the service installs may be found at CopyCoders repository source (see below).
Any questions regarding installing or maintainence of extended Newtork Services should be directed to the companies providing that specific software.
Any questions regarding NetServices or suggestions of ways to extend NetServices capabilities including additional services to add - please contact Greg Hartstein at [email protected]
You can get the latest copy of NetServices by adding CopyCoders to your installer sources and NetServices will become available under the CopyCoders heading.
- Open Installer
- Tap Sources along bottom navigation bar
- Tap Edit along top navigation bar
- Tap Add along top navigation bar
- Enter: http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/copycoders/copycoders.xml
- Tap OK
- Once Installer finishes adding source - Tap Done
- CopyCoders should now appear as a source in "Other Sources". If it does not -Tap Refresh.
- Tap Install along bottom navigation bar
- NetServices will now be available for installation under the "CopyCoders" heading.
For more information or questions about NetServices
Please visit http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/copycoders/index.html
Original Source Code by Chris Hoffman
Additional Source Code provided by Peter Iannucci
Interface Design by Drunknbass - monsterandfriends.com
Erica's Utilities coded by Erica Sadun - ericasadun.com
An enormous debt of gratitude is extended to the brilliant developers at iPhone-UIKit IRC for their tutelage, ideas, and never-ending patience.
1.6.1 - Update 12/22/07
- Maintenance Update
- Dropbear Visibility corrected in settings.plist
- AutoLock Script altered slightly to accomodate SpringBoard recycle
1.6.0 - Update 12/21/07
- NEW Major User Interface upgrade
- NEW Airplane Mode Control Added
- NEW Auto-Snap Control Added
- NEW iSpit Web Server Control Added
- NEW Mail Fetch Control Added
- NEW International Data Roaming Control Added
- Socks scripts rebuilt
- Version Numbering Change
0.1.5 - Update 12/06/07
- Samba start/stop scripts rebuilt.
- NEW - File Sharing Plug-In - Switch File Sharing Plug-In on/off allowing Safari to alternate between streaming or downloading media.
0.1.4 - Update 12/03/07
- Samba start/stop scripts naming issue resolved.
- NEW - Auto-Lock - Turn Auto-Lock on & off to help maintain network connections.
- NEW - EDGE - A new method is being applied to disconnect EDGE network more consistently.
0.1.3 - Update 11/24/07
- Primarily Maintainence Update
- Ability to toggle Phone service has been temporarily removed until issues with iPhone FW 1.1.2 have been resolved.
- Several memory leaks have been patched.
- NEW - Installer Source - An assortment of Network Services have been added to the CopyCoder's Installer source.
0.1.2 - Update 11/23/07
- SSH launching issues have been resolved
- Phone service problem has yet to be replicated but now no longer follows On/Off state through restart. Should toggling phone service present a problem, simply restart iPhone to restore service.
- Additional search locations have been added for Tinyproxy's Launch Daemons in an effort to anticipate installation variations.
- NEW - Switch Visibility - Keys have been added to the settings file (inside NetServices.app folder) to set visibility of any switches. This is handy for services that are installed but rarely turned on or off.
0.1.1 - Initial Release
- Users reported issues with SSH not shutting down correctly
- User reported problems with phone service
- Tinyproxy service was not appearing after installation
Thank you for your ideas and help in making NetServices better.
Last edited by hartsteins; 12-23-2007 at 01:47 AM.
11-22-2007, 05:37 AM #2
I just installed it and works great, only one problem; every time I open NetServices it turns off Phone, so if I need to turn it on before close the application.
Why is that happening?
11-22-2007, 06:04 AM #3
11-22-2007, 06:34 AM #4
I have two questions about this program:
1) what is the difference with itoggle?
2) how does disabling EDGE work? (with a fake APN or a fake IP address)
This because with me (and a lot of other people) a fake APN does not work and a fake IP address does work
BTW: the direct link is wrong (the s is missing in copycoders/zips/NetServices-0.1.1.zip
11-22-2007, 07:09 AM #5
But two things made me switch back to iToggle:
1. SSH automatically turns on/off whenever I connect/disconnect from Fugu
2. Auto-lock on/off feature (very convenient!!!)
11-22-2007, 07:13 AM #6
App won't run for me- 1.1.1 fw, installed from Installer repo. Quits after showing Default.png.
11-22-2007, 07:49 AM #7
11-22-2007, 08:14 AM #8
can you add space avail below the IP, great job!
11-22-2007, 08:20 AM #9
11-22-2007, 08:44 AM #10
nope my phone stays on wierd huh
11-22-2007, 09:03 AM #11
the download link is broken and the downloaded .zip from your index page is corrupt
11-22-2007, 10:07 AM #12
Not sure why this is happening. Is anyone else experiencing this problem of the Phone service turning off automatically?
NetServices is different than iToggle in a couple of ways. This most important is allowing services not possible with the way iToggle is set up (Firefly Media Server for example).
What do you mean SSH turns off/on? I am not familiar with Fugu. What is happening? Do you need to reactivate SSH or is just dropping the connection?
Also - AutoLock control is slated for next update.
extra space will be included in next update.
all links fixed - Thanks! That's what I get for posting at 2 am.
Hmmm. Not sure at all.
Please try uninstalling and reinstalling and let me know if you continue to have the same problem.
Last edited by hartsteins; 11-22-2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
11-22-2007, 10:24 AM #13
GREAT APP! Much better than Services, and beats iToggle by a mile. iToggle wouldn't remember the EDGE setting if you rebooted the phone, so that wouldn't work for me.
I'd like to see one thing: for the services installed, how about different colored icons, based on the on/off setting? For example, the BlueTooth icon is always black; if BlueTooth is on, make the icon blue; conversely, if BlueTooth if off, make the icon black (or dark gray.) Same for phone; phone on = green, phone off = black. EDGE, WiFi, etc., would be nice to have colored icons if enabled, black&white if disabled. SSH is always orange&white; it'd be nice if SSH is disabled, the icon is black.
Those are the only services I have on my iPhone, but you get the idea.
11-22-2007, 10:50 AM #14Try it...
I press "disconnect" on Fugu or simply just "Quit"...then I open iToggle and see SSH is turned off without me doing it manually before or after quitting Fugu.
Last edited by spook75; 11-22-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
11-22-2007, 11:01 AM #15
KILLED MY IPHONE::::::::: DONT USE IT WITH 1.1.2. after turning off the fone it wont start anymore. i see the apple and a loding wheel.
11-22-2007, 11:19 AM #16
Very nice start, thanks, I'm very happy to see this idea extended.
A few issues and comments:
• I currently use iToggle, which Marcio Almeida was kind enough to modify at my request to be modular. With his app, I can now add or delete the services I wish to display & control. In addition to control, with fewer services, it loads more quickly and has less screen clutter. I'll continue to use iToggle until NetServices has this capability, and the other issues are solved.
• There's a problem with openSSH control in NetServices for me. I can turn it ON, but not OFF. NetServices 'thinks' it's off, but it's not.
• Lighttpd is working fine, but AFP, Socks, & Tinyproxy don't show up. Perhaps they would work if I uninstalled and reinstalled them, but they work fine with iToggle.
• I love the addition of displaying the IP in the main screen
Last edited by DaveiPhone; 11-22-2007 at 11:22 AM.
11-22-2007, 01:48 PM #17
11-22-2007, 02:04 PM #18
Besides the ability to add services externally iToggle allows the user to set any control to be visible or not. This is helpful if for instance you never need to toggle your phone off, you could hide the control and have less clutter.
I found that each service has very specific start & stop protocols and that allowing them to be adjusted or added in a plist would be problematic.
Adding visibility control however is something that will be rolled into the next update.
I have had some inconsistent results disabling the SSH serving as well (thank you for your help testing) and will have a more consistent solution in next update.
Services may have difficulty appearing for those of you that manually installed services before they were available on Installer.app. This is because many of the network services changed aspects of their installation (like adding launch daemons) once they were listed on Installer.app. NetServices follows the installs as they were performed by Installer.app.
I will post a list of accessed plists and processes so that they may be added to the proper folders. Reinstalling these services from Installer.app will remedy this problem as well.
11-22-2007, 02:52 PM #19
Does NetServices also provide facility to quickly enable the default VPN configuration when WiFi is turned on? If not, could this be considered for a future release?
At present, enabling VPN is well buried down in the Services app.
11-22-2007, 04:24 PM #20
A couple of more pieces of info: I uninstalled & reinstalled Tinyproxy from installer, and it still fails to show up in NetServices, though it works just fine toggled through iToggle.
Also, I installed Firefly Media Server for the first time in awhile, and although NetServices did activate and deactivate the server, my phone developed a nasty memory leak and slowed to a crawl. I'm not sure if this is related to NetServices or just a problem with Firefly Media Server, but I quit Firefly and uninstalled it for now. I don't really need it, it's just a novelty for me, but I thought you might find the info useful.