+ Reply
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NetServices.app - control all your services

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
liverpool_el - Are you sure EDGE is turning back on? Right now it's deceiving because the EDGE logo still remains though you are not connected (check the IP field in
    Developer
    Thanks

liverpool_el -

Are you sure EDGE is turning back on?

Right now it's deceiving because the EDGE logo still remains though you are not connected (check the IP field in NetServices to see if it changes from "searching" if both WiFi & EDGE are off). The EDGE logo issue will be resolved in next update. In addition, turn off WiFi & EDGE and try and navigate to a website. If NetServices is working correctly a notification telling you that the phone is not connected to the EDGE network should appear.

Please tell me either way if this works for you.

vincent6396 -

Auto-Lock control is slated for inclusion in next update.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hartsteins For This Useful Post:

stefimke (11-27-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sorry I thought it was the services thread, but hey thanks for the answer. I guess now I will try out your applications just for that feature. Do I need to uninstall the other services app before installing yours? Thanks alot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi Greg,

Tinyproxy does not appear on the services list, i've cross check the plist name per your suggestion and even after remove-reinstall it still doesn't change the state.

Another thing, I understand tinyproxy + socks can produce tethering for the edge to be used on a mac, does your version of the installation (for the two) can be used for that? any tips on how to make it work?

Thanks.

Thanks

How do i work AFP with Bonjour on vista...i downloaded the ie bonjour plugin so when i open internet explorer it has a side bar where bonjour enabled products is supposed to show...but my iphone dont show up....tell me im stupid or what

Developer
    Thanks

vincent6396 -

NetServices is very similar to Services. They are both based on original code by Chris Hoffman. NetServices extends the capabilities of Services by adding control switches for a large variety of network services now available for the iPhone. The switches only appear if you have these services installed, so if you don't - NetServices will look exactly like Services. See the first post in this thread for a list of network services included.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17699

BTW - you do not need to uninstall Services to install NetServices but they do exactly the same things in terms of WiFi, EDGE, Bluetooth so having both is redundant.

Kapt -

Did you install Tinyproxy from the CopyCoders repository or a different source? The one listed at CopyCoders should work correctly.

In terms of tethering your phone - I've never done it but here's a link:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...=tether+iphone

stlcaddie -

I don't think AFP will work with Vista at all. It's a Macintosh sharing protocol. In order to see my PC on my Mac I use Samba. While this control is built into NetServices I have never installed the service myself. It's a bit of a complicated installation which is why it is not yet available on CopyCoders as a one-click install.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=samba

http://signalblue.com/iphone/iphone-smb-howto.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please note that CopyCoders does not administer any of the network services available at the repository. They are simply versions that install Launch Daemons NetServices knows to look for. Alternative installations of these services often yield inconsistent result. Please install services from CopyCoders whenever possible.

Thanks,

Greg

NetServices - One app to control them all.
    Last edited by hartsteins; 11-26-2007 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks

Greg, thanks for that info - it did the trick!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

support for turn on/off imap idle (http://iphone.rustyredwagon.com/) would be cool! thx for the great work!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liverpool_ell View Post
    I have 1.0.2 and it stays off for a couple of minutes but it just turned EDGE back on again.... is there anyway to manually change the EDGE settings so it cant connect to vodafone NZ and rape my PAYG credit?
    Same here, but then on 1.1.2

I've used Services.app before, exactly the same behaviour: turn EDGE OFF, exit Services.app/NetServices.app ... and EDGE is still active! When I start Services.app/NetServices.app again then EDGE is showed as ON automagically.

Back to iToggle for me... this allows me to REALLY turn EDGE off.

Developer
    Thanks

stefimke -

I'm sorry you're having this experience. Are you SURE edge is becoming re-enabled. Both Services & NetServices have an issue where the EDGE logo remains even when the service is off. Please check both the IP field and Safari directly to see whether service has truly been renewed. (logo fix in next update).

Does NetServices show EDGE to be back on every time you re-open the app? If you still have it installed, turn it off a second time and see if the button sticks this time. Are you running both iToggle & NetServices at the same time? While they do not conflict directly, the possibility arises to have the same service set differently in each program.

Please let me know if these issues are still occurring.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by hartsteins; 11-27-2007 at 09:57 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hartsteins For This Useful Post:

stefimke (11-27-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hartsteins View Post
    stefimke -

I'm sorry you're having this experience. Are you SURE edge is becoming re-enabled. Both Services & NetServices have an issue where the EDGE logo remains even when the service is off. Please check both the IP field and Safari directly to see whether service has truly been renewed. (logo fix in next update).

Does NetServices show EDGE to be back on every time you re-open the app? If you still have it installed, turn it off a second time and see if the button sticks this time. Are you running both iToggle & NetServices at the same time? While they do not conflict directly, the possibility arises to have the same service set differently in each program.
    Greg,

I think I tried all possible sequential manners to turn off edge. But somehow it does not seem sticky with both Services.app/NetServices.app. Whenever I start (Net)Services the EDGE swtich is turned ON, even if I switched if OFF before...

With iToggle I was able to turn of edge completely, however now I upgraded to iToggle 1.0.5 (which omits the PHONE ON/OFF switch) my EDGE and Bluetooth switches are grayed out for some reason.

I'm very sure that EDGE is not switched off by (Net)Services.app. I can still access the internet with WIFI disabled if I "think" that EDGE was switched off....

Thanks,
    Stefan

Developer
    Thanks

Stefan,

Hmmmm....I am unable to recreate this so it's tough to solve.
    For me the EDGE logo remains, but all network access is disconnected and button stays put.

Are you running 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 iPhone firmware?

Greg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hartsteins For This Useful Post:

stefimke (11-27-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmmmm....I am unable to recreate this so it's tough to solve.
    For me the EDGE logo remains, but all network access is disconnected and button stays put.

Are you running 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 iPhone firmware?
    1.1.2 firmware.

I also seem to have a very nasty EDGE/GPRS provider, as by keeping all the APN fields empty, or put dummy values in there, it STILL can connect! This is giving me massive phone-bills which I obviously don't really like.

The IP-field in NetServices keeps on "Searching...." with wifi disabled and EDGE enabled/disabled.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefimke View Post
    1.1.2 firmware.

I also seem to have a very nasty EDGE/GPRS provider, as by keeping all the APN fields empty, or put dummy values in there, it STILL can connect! This is giving me massive phone-bills which I obviously don't really like.

The IP-field in NetServices keeps on "Searching...." with wifi disabled and EDGE enabled/disabled.
    Ahhhhh...well that's the problem. NetServices uses a dummy apn to disable EDGE so the circuit is never really turned off, just never able to connect (which is why the logo remains). Since your provider doesn't care what's in the apn field - this method won't work for you.

I'll work on some new methods of accomplishing this. If you find any way you are able to adjust your settings where you disable your EDGE given the apn limitations, please let me know so that I can incorporate it into NetServices.

Thanks,

Greg

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hartsteins For This Useful Post:

stefimke (11-27-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ahhhhh...well that's the problem. NetServices uses a dummy apn to disable EDGE so the circuit is never really turned off, just never able to connect (which is why the logo remains). Since your provider doesn't care what's in the apn field - this method won't work for you.

I'll work on some new methods of accomplishing this. If you find any way you are able to adjust your settings where you disable your EDGE given the apn limitations, please let me know so that I can incorporate it into NetServices.
    Well... iToggle 1.0.4 was able to really switch of my EDGE! If you figure out how they do it.... then it'll work for me!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks,

Greg
    Itoggle works by entering a fake ip adres.

This works great for me!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey Greg, great you liked the idea and added Bonjour! Love it

Btw, there is another afpd package which adds its own UI for enabling/disabling afp and bonjour seperately and also allows to define the Hostname to be used. The last thing would be also a great addition to Netservices, don't you think?

Take a look (including source): http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~job/afpd/

Andy

Developer
    Thanks

Andy,

I agree that editing hostname would be very useful. - especially if you have multiple iPhones on the network.

I've got a bunch of changes on my list for the next version of NetServices and this is one of them. There will be an update very soon with some fixes that won't incorporate this yet, but look for it for sure.

Thanks for the idea. Keep 'em coming!

Greg

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just FYI, NetServices doesn't work if you've done something like this to expand your available space:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/29/iphon...our-iphone-or/

I've tried it, and the app doesn't work when I've got it installed in /var/root/Applications/ with a symbolic link to /Widgets/

From what Erica says, it's because the programmer used absolute paths in the code, rather than using NSBundle. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punkassjim View Post
    Just FYI, NetServices doesn't work if you've done something like this to expand your available space:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/29/iphon...our-iphone-or/

I've tried it, and the app doesn't work when I've got it installed in /var/root/Applications/ with a symbolic link to /Widgets/

From what Erica says, it's because the programmer used absolute paths in the code, rather than using NSBundle. Hopefully that helps.
    it works for me... and i have moved my apps to media partition

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A suggestion (if not asked already)
    First I would like to say this is a great app, very useful. One thing that I think would be good is the ability to somehow get to the settings screen of the particular service you are enabling/disabling such that:

Bluetooth -> I can turn it on and then get to the screen where I can select the device to use
    WiFi -> I can select which network to connect to

and so on.

Again, great tool and keep up the good work.

Rippey
    Last edited by mrrippey; 11-30-2007 at 08:34 AM. Reason: changed title