+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting the toolchain to work

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
So, having got ssh set up, I wanted to try out the application toolchain... Has anyone got this to work on a Mac ? Mine seems to be searching /usr/include/...
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Getting the toolchain to work
    So, having got ssh set up, I wanted to try out the application toolchain... Has anyone got this to work on a Mac ? Mine seems to be searching /usr/include/... rather than /Developer/SDKs/iPhone/include/... for files.

If I put a -v on the gcc driver, I get the following output:

Code:
    [iphone/programs/helloworld]% make
    arm-apple-darwin-cc -v -c   hello.m -o hello.o
    /Developer/SDKs/iPhone/bin/llvm-gcc -E -U__i386__ -U__ppc__ -D__arm__ -isystem /Developer/SDKs/iPhone/include -o /tmp/JWyWzv.i hello.m 
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/types.h:69,
                     from /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/CoreFoundation.h:11,
                     from /Developer/SDKs/iPhone/include/CoreGraphics/CGDirectDisplay.h:15,
                     from /Developer/SDKs/iPhone/include/CoreGraphics/CoreGraphics.h:19,
                     from /Developer/SDKs/iPhone/include/UIKit/UIKit.h:3,
                     from hello.m:1:
    /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:335:4: error: #error Unknown architecture
    It seems to be using /usr/include/sys/types.h whereas there's a perfectly serviceable one in /Developer/SDKs/iPhone/include/arm/types.h which I think it ought to be picking up instead...

Anyone ?

Replying to myself, but if anyone else needs to know, there's a HOWTO for getting the toolchain up and running (there are more steps than in the wiki) at http://ellkro.jot.com/HowToBuildObjCApps.

Following this creates a toolchain that actually builds the sample 'helloworld' binary for me.
    Last edited by Spaced Cowboy; 08-02-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I read and re-read the instructions in your link. I think I understand what is happening.....to develop I need to move a file from the iphone onto the PC? The section three of your linked instructions I had a hard time understanding what was hapening simply by reading - some tips on section 3 would be cool. You compiled hello world on a PC?
    Where did you get the cross compiler? Can you provide a link? Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm having some trouble myself. I think I've installed the toolchain but whenever I try to run make on the Hello App I get:
    Code:
    make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    I used the iPhoneToolchainv04.dmg to install
    I think something might be wrong with my PATH but it looks fine.

Edit:
    Okay I decided to just build the toolchain but now when I run the configure I get "configure: error: libstreams's header is missing!" I have libstreams installed with ports. Any ideas?
    Last edited by asdfeeee; 08-21-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost