+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Pre-release] ruBooks - fb2/html/txt reader and pdf/xls/doc viewer based on Books.app

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I've been working last month on several enhancements to the original Books.app and reached the point where it can be shared as a pre-release version with a wider audience. There
    Developer
    Thanks

Default [Pre-release] ruBooks - fb2/html/txt reader and pdf/xls/doc viewer based on Books.app
    I've been working last month on several enhancements to the original Books.app and reached the point where it can be shared as a pre-release version with a wider audience. There are still a number of glitches, inconsistency in UI and lack of documentation. However the it's rather stable.

ruBooks
    Repository: BigBoss's Apps and Things
    Category: Productivity
    • FB2 support, including support to zip-archived files;
    • Localization support, with English, Russian and draft German, Chinese and Japanese languages included;
    • Text search;
    • Page scrolling with volume control buttons;
    • Auto-scroll with adjustable scrolling speed;
    • Increased book loading speed;
    • Table of contents for single-file books;
    • Book cover inside the text;
    • Opening files anywhere on the file system under /var - including both home dirs of users "root" and "mobile". Also /var/root/Downloads;
    • Color management for fore- and background in both day- and night-modes;
    • PDF, XLS and DOC viewer based on Safari engine;
    • Justified alignment and other small but very handy enhancements.

Please try it and send me any kind of feedback before it becomes v1.0.

As the original application, ruBooks is going to be released under GNU/GPL - the source code can already be downloaded from the home page, but it might lack in some files all the obligatory headers. I am not an expert on GPL, so if you spot any potential noncompliance - let me know, so that I can fix it ASAP.
    Last edited by Colel; 05-28-2008 at 10:39 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colel For This Useful Post:

ixbilalxi (05-27-2008), naamas2005 (07-30-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb Feature Request
    Love all the enhancements you've made to Books.app, especially auto scroll and using the volume buttons.

Can you make the volume buttons control the auto scroll speed while scrolling?

I will continue testing the application and let you know of any problems I come across.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great app!
    A few suggestions:
    Landscape mode ( I only tried viewing PDFs)
    Saving of page you are at, maybe bookmarking
    When opening big PDF ebooks its a little bit slow when you scroll.

But the landscape mode is the most important imho.

Thanks for your effort and greetings, crashx

Developer
    Thanks

Actually, there's a trick to switch to the landscape mode for PDFs - open any txt/html file -> press "rotate" button -> close the file -> open PDF.

Developer
    Thanks

However ruBooks is primarily targeting html-xml-text files. PDF/XLS/DOC is a nice by-product.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Colel,
    Just like to say a BIG THANK YOU for working on this great app. As soon as I installed it, it immediately replaced my books.app (already a fantastic start). I read a lot of ebooks and your work has made it that much more pleasurable.

Couple of things I would love to see in ruBooks:

1. consistency between fonts. Appreciate this is a beta so this is a minor niggle. Fonts change without notice as I'm going through the book. Some books are fine and others a bit erratic.
    2. if reading a single file, it takes a long time to switch to landscape mode.
    3. Would be great to hear an update of what you're doing with this app as I can't wait for the next iteration!
    Sham

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shamster69 View Post
    3. Would be great to hear an update of what you're doing with this app as I can't wait for the next iteration!
    Apart from cleaning-up the disclaimers and putting together some visual guides and how-tos, I am working on basic search and fast custom rendering that is not limited to single page, as in textReader.

Thanks

Colel, this is very, very nice, thank you!

One thing I've noticed - it doesn't seem to display any pictures that are part of an html page, eg AJ Hall Collection. I can see the picture in the file list with the html pages, and when I click on the picture it displays, but within the html page I get a blue square block with a question mark.
    This gets displayed correctly with Books though.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    One thing I've noticed - it doesn't seem to display any pictures that are part of an html page, eg AJ Hall Collection. I can see the picture in the file list with the html pages, and when I click on the picture it displays, but within the html page I get a blue square block with a question mark. This gets displayed correctly with Books though.
    Are you speaking about cover page graphiсs? Right now ruBooks only deals with images embedded into fb2 files, ignoring external images.

If you could send me direct link to the sample book and will surely try to see what could be done to make it work.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Colel, all I've got to say....THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!! AND THANK YOU!

what a fantastic flawless app, I was happy with books until now. I wanted an autoscroll feature so badly and now thanks to you we have one. You wouldn't imagine how fast I uninstalled books from my iphone. Thanks again for this fantastic app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the app. I tried it out, and at first it seemed so promising. But then I noticed that it takes FOREVER and a day to open up a 'normal' ebook(s). Why is it so slow compared to the original books app?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Pretty sweet app.
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thundar View Post
    Thanks for the app. I tried it out, and at first it seemed so promising. But then I noticed that it takes FOREVER and a day to open up a 'normal' ebook(s). Why is it so slow compared to the original books app?
    Any concrete book? It's rather hard to speak about profiling without a test file.
    Last edited by Colel; 05-17-2008 at 04:42 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colel View Post
    Any concrete book? It's rather hard to speak about profiling without a test file.
    Concrete book? Profiling? Test file? I'm not sure if you're being defensive or not. I did say thanks. And I meant it. My first impression of your app was great. But then I tried to open a bunch of ebooks (.txt format), and I was waiting forever. The app was stuck on 6% and it wasn't budging. I could scroll on to something like 25 pages. Scrolling the opened pages is smooth and fast, though, which I like. Maybe it's on my end? I don't have a problem with the Books App. And I only compare for reference's sake. So what can I can tell you or show you that will help get down to the bottom of this? Layman's terms would be good.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not to speak for him but I think he is asking for the exact book that you're having a problem with and if he can figure out what the problem is if he has the book.

Concrete book? Profiling? Test file? I'm not sure if you're being defensive or not. I did say thanks. And I meant it. My first impression of your app was great. But then I tried to open a bunch of ebooks (.txt format), and I was waiting forever. The app was stuck on 6% and it wasn't budging. I could scroll on to something like 25 pages. Scrolling the opened pages is smooth and fast, though, which I like. Maybe it's on my end? I don't have a problem with the Books App. And I only compare for reference's sake. So what can I can tell you or show you that will help get down to the bottom of this? Layman's terms would be good.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamng View Post
    Not to speak for him but I think he is asking for the exact book that you're having a problem with and if he can figure out what the problem is if he has the book.
    Thanks - that's exactly what I meant.

The app was stuck on 6% and it wasn't budging. I could scroll on to something like 25 pages.
    Oh. Being at the bottom of visible text tap page-down zone again or press volume-down button to scroll to the next "virtual part". ruBooks splits large files down to 20k parts to increase loading speed. That behaviour can be disabled in the configuration menu by turning off "Auto-split" option.

Another navigation possibility - open Table of Contents (bottom-right corner button) and select next part.

I am working on making it more user-friendly as it does cause certain confusion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea, maybe I was the one being defensive. Silly me. Well, I could always send ANY of my books so someone can take a look at it and see if the slowdown problem can be reproduced. Any takers?

And is anyone else having this problem?

Developer
    Thanks

Yea, maybe I was the one being defensive. Silly me. Well, I could always send ANY of my books so someone can take a look at it and see if the slowdown problem can be reproduced. Any takers?
    I can volunteer to take a look. It would also be terrific if you could describe in simple steps a way to reproduce the slowdown, i.e. at what particular moment it happens - starting the application, opening a file, jumping to a particular chapter etc. Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colel View Post
    Thanks - that's exactly what I meant.

Oh. Being at the bottom of visible text tap page-down zone again or press volume-down button to scroll to the next "virtual part". ruBooks splits large files down to 20k parts to increase loading speed. That behaviour can be disabled in the configuration menu by turning off "Auto-split" option.

Another navigation possibility - open Table of Contents (bottom-right corner button) and select next part.

I am working on making it more user-friendly as it does cause certain confusion.
    Thanks, Colel. I'll give it a shot.

"ruBooks splits large files down to 20k parts to increase loading speed. That behaviour can be disabled in the configuration menu by turning off "Auto-split" option."

Cool. Works like a charm. I really do like this app. It's a keeper. It's pretty and works nice.
    Got any plans on getting images to work with html files? Or getting PDF to work WITHOUT having to use safari?
    Last edited by thundar; 05-18-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Developer
    Thanks

Got any plans on getting images to work with html files? Or getting PDF to work WITHOUT having to use safari?
    Well... plans are there, and it's always a question of priorities. Right now on the functional side I am contemplating text search and fast buffered rendering.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Colel For This Useful Post:

wokudu (05-22-2008)