Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
05-09-2008, 02:27 PM #1[Pre-release] ruBooks - fb2/html/txt reader and pdf/xls/doc viewer based on Books.app
I've been working last month on several enhancements to the original Books.app and reached the point where it can be shared as a pre-release version with a wider audience. There are still a number of glitches, inconsistency in UI and lack of documentation. However the it's rather stable.
Repository: BigBoss's Apps and Things
- FB2 support, including support to zip-archived files;
- Localization support, with English, Russian and draft German, Chinese and Japanese languages included;
- Text search;
- Page scrolling with volume control buttons;
- Auto-scroll with adjustable scrolling speed;
- Increased book loading speed;
- Table of contents for single-file books;
- Book cover inside the text;
- Opening files anywhere on the file system under /var - including both home dirs of users "root" and "mobile". Also /var/root/Downloads;
- Color management for fore- and background in both day- and night-modes;
- PDF, XLS and DOC viewer based on Safari engine;
- Justified alignment and other small but very handy enhancements.
Please try it and send me any kind of feedback before it becomes v1.0.
As the original application, ruBooks is going to be released under GNU/GPL - the source code can already be downloaded from the home page, but it might lack in some files all the obligatory headers. I am not an expert on GPL, so if you spot any potential noncompliance - let me know, so that I can fix it ASAP.
Last edited by Colel; 05-28-2008 at 11:39 AM.
05-09-2008, 02:52 PM #2Feature Request
Love all the enhancements you've made to Books.app, especially auto scroll and using the volume buttons.
Can you make the volume buttons control the auto scroll speed while scrolling?
I will continue testing the application and let you know of any problems I come across.
05-09-2008, 04:56 PM #3
A few suggestions:
Landscape mode ( I only tried viewing PDFs)
Saving of page you are at, maybe bookmarking
When opening big PDF ebooks its a little bit slow when you scroll.
But the landscape mode is the most important imho.
Thanks for your effort and greetings, crashx
05-09-2008, 05:03 PM #4
Actually, there's a trick to switch to the landscape mode for PDFs - open any txt/html file -> press "rotate" button -> close the file -> open PDF.
05-15-2008, 08:04 AM #5
However ruBooks is primarily targeting html-xml-text files. PDF/XLS/DOC is a nice by-product.
05-15-2008, 09:14 AM #6
Just like to say a BIG THANK YOU for working on this great app. As soon as I installed it, it immediately replaced my books.app (already a fantastic start). I read a lot of ebooks and your work has made it that much more pleasurable.
Couple of things I would love to see in ruBooks:
1. consistency between fonts. Appreciate this is a beta so this is a minor niggle. Fonts change without notice as I'm going through the book. Some books are fine and others a bit erratic.
2. if reading a single file, it takes a long time to switch to landscape mode.
3. Would be great to hear an update of what you're doing with this app as I can't wait for the next iteration!
05-15-2008, 07:19 PM #7
05-16-2008, 04:02 AM #8
Colel, this is very, very nice, thank you!
One thing I've noticed - it doesn't seem to display any pictures that are part of an html page, eg AJ Hall Collection. I can see the picture in the file list with the html pages, and when I click on the picture it displays, but within the html page I get a blue square block with a question mark.
This gets displayed correctly with Books though.
05-16-2008, 04:06 AM #9
05-16-2008, 06:18 AM #10
Colel, all I've got to say....THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!! AND THANK YOU!
what a fantastic flawless app, I was happy with books until now. I wanted an autoscroll feature so badly and now thanks to you we have one. You wouldn't imagine how fast I uninstalled books from my iphone. Thanks again for this fantastic app.
05-16-2008, 07:38 PM #11
Thanks for the app. I tried it out, and at first it seemed so promising. But then I noticed that it takes FOREVER and a day to open up a 'normal' ebook(s). Why is it so slow compared to the original books app?
05-16-2008, 10:49 PM #12
Pretty sweet app.- iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
- iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
- XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
- XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
- Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)
05-17-2008, 02:24 PM #13
05-17-2008, 09:10 PM #14
05-17-2008, 11:08 PM #15
05-18-2008, 05:04 AM #16
Another navigation possibility - open Table of Contents (bottom-right corner button) and select next part.
I am working on making it more user-friendly as it does cause certain confusion.
05-18-2008, 02:51 PM #17
Yea, maybe I was the one being defensive. Silly me. Well, I could always send ANY of my books so someone can take a look at it and see if the slowdown problem can be reproduced. Any takers?
And is anyone else having this problem?
05-18-2008, 04:05 PM #18
05-18-2008, 09:26 PM #19
"ruBooks splits large files down to 20k parts to increase loading speed. That behaviour can be disabled in the configuration menu by turning off "Auto-split" option."
Cool. Works like a charm. I really do like this app. It's a keeper. It's pretty and works nice.
Got any plans on getting images to work with html files? Or getting PDF to work WITHOUT having to use safari?
Last edited by thundar; 05-18-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
05-20-2008, 04:47 AM #20
The Following User Says Thank You to Colel For This Useful Post: