Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Pre-release] ruBooks - fb2/html/txt reader and pdf/xls/doc viewer based on Books.app

HI, i stumbled upon this because books.app couldnt worked after i restored my phone. After installing rubooks, i was able to locate the ebooks which i have installed, but upon selecting the books, they just don't load.. and clicking on the right bottom button says no chapter found for each of the books. I tried this for several books, installing and reinstalling to the same effect. However, when i ssh with cyberduck, i could locate the books with their chapters.. can someone tell me what's wrong?

THanks in advance...I'm desperate to have some book application up cos i'm in the advance stages of this book i'm reading when the iphone crashed on me...

Could you send me one of those books you're trying to open? Thanks - it will help to identify the exact cause of the problem.

Hi Colel,

Thanks for the response.. i've tried with most of the books from the installer...from the adventure of sherlock holmes down to the bible...and the response is the same.. the book that i'm reading halfway is Angels and Demons which i downloaded from installer source :
    Demosthenes705’s eBooks: http://chriss.brandonsgames.com/index.xml

I suspect the problem is not with your app but rather some settings within the iphone after i had it restored.. sigh...

Hi Colel,

I managed toget the app to work now.. and found the cause for it...

For some reason, after the restore, the books that are downloaded has a set permission of 554... after i ssh, i changed the permission to 755 and managed to get them to load. The troublesome thing is that i have to now do it for every downloaded book, cos there is no way i can do a setting to have all new downloads to be set to the 755 permission...or is there?
    Last edited by chenyz; 05-22-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I personally don't use Installer to download books, as I find it awkward to have a book split to multiple files and be only limited to repositories, when there's multiple online libraries with plenty of books in single-file html, txt or fb2 formats.

So unfortunately I am not an expert on this issue - try to ask owner of the book repository or in the Installer thread.

i downloaded the latest rubooks but it didn't fix the rendering problem. I was trying to read Lib.ru/Классика: Достоевский Федор Михайлович. Игрок. Saved it as htm file and transfered to iphone. In rubooks, every line doesn't wrap at the edge of the screen. If I scroll to the right, whatever was shown at the edge freezes and is basically chopped off. very annoying.

Iґve never had the problem that odessadude has. My books open up just fine. This is a great app! Thanks again. But I do have a question for anyone who would like to take a stab at it. All my books donґt have page numbers (both txt and html files). Yea, I like page numbers. Does anyone know how I could page number EVERY page in either the txt or html format? Maybe someone knows a script or code that can automate the job of page numbering my books? That would be awesome. Come on....someone must know this.

Quote Originally Posted by odessadude View Post
    i downloaded the latest rubooks but it didn't fix the rendering problem. I was trying to read Lib.ru/Классика: Достоевский Федор Михайлович. Игрок. Saved it as htm file and transfered to iphone. In rubooks, every line doesn't wrap at the edge of the screen.
    The HTML contains <pre> tag that tells the render not to re-format text inside it, so you have 2 workarounds* - save it as .txt file or remove <pre> tag manually from the html-file.

-------
    * Not to say that it's how it should be - just a quick-fix to read the book with current version.

On page numbers - usually there are no page numbers in the HTML/TXT files, as the pagination is strongly dependent on size of the visible area, selected font type and size and other parameters. Currently ruBooks shows current position in the file as percentage in the top-left corner that could potentially in the future be changed to page number.
    Last edited by Colel; 05-23-2008 at 03:56 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colel For This Useful Post:

frankbrasil (05-28-2008)

Colel,

Thanks for all the improvements over the original Books app.

One area I hope you might address is the auto-scrolling. This is a really great feature but it would be nice to add two more levels of control.

1) a user-definable delay before scrolling begins.
    2) the ability to have it scroll at even slower speeds.

The reasons is I use my phone to store guitar sheet music (tablature and chords/lyrics) and in most cases, even at the slowest current speed, scrolling is outpacing the song.

Other folks might find it useful as a teleprompter, and again, slower speeds would be helpful.

Auto-scrolling will be re-worked, so at least slower speeds should be added in the near future. Not sure about delay, but will try to see what can be done.

P.S. Just published version 0.921 with Text Search.
    Last edited by Colel; 05-27-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Hi Colel

Your app looks very promising.

What would make it a must have for many people (who moved to iPhone from Pocket PC), would be the facility to read all the books we have collected in Lit format. Presumably, you would have to incorporate a routine to process the book through clit in the background, then use a web server or Safari to display it.

This seems to be the approach that the author of CHM Reader has taken but unfortunately this reader doesn't seem to work for most people (me included...)

Regards

Martin

Search !!!
    Congratulations...

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    What would make it a must have for many people (who moved to iPhone from Pocket PC), would be the facility to read all the books we have collected in Lit format.
    Will take a look at it.

Very nice !!
    I register just to say thank you.

I'm not sure if it's a big hassle but it will be perfect if there is a way to change fonts more quickly. I know there's a screen redraw for that. But it will be great to make the text bigger or smaller during different situations, no reading glasses (bigger), on the treadmill (bigger), desk reading (smaller), reading in the car (bigger), reading in bed (smaller) e.g.

Good job though !!

hi Colel.
    first of all thank you for release this agreat app,GREAT JOB. especially for adding Chinese support. however i still find some problem with text encoding, a lot of chinese txt files are encoded with: Simple chinese (GB 2312). Is it possible for you to and this encoding to the app? which will save us a lot time to change the encoding of the text files.
    thx

Hello, love the APP! Opening eBooks has worked like a charm, however, I have been having a problem with PDFs. I navigate to the folder containing them, click on a PDF that I want to open, and a screen pops up that has

"window.safari.title" as the title,

and the options "Download!" and "Change Filename".

Below that it has,
    "Click download to the file to your ~/Downloads folder."
    Warning: If this file already exists in the Downloads folder, it will be overwritten."

So I click "Download!", it goes, and I navigate to "/var/root/Downloads".

I click on the PDF that is now in there, and I get the same message as before.

I have been using PDFViewer, and every page has to be resized so I can actually see it, not a fun way to read a book.

Anyway, thanks for the excellent app, hopefully there is an easy fix for my problem. :-)
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by xenonthegreat View Post
    "Download!" and "Change Filename".
    You have installed a "special" version of Safari Download plugin, that also overtakes opening PDFs and offers to download it ("special" version was floating around on some repositories). It can be solved be either replacing it with original version or by installing a switch for BossPrefs to enable/disable Download plugin.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Colel For This Useful Post:

xenonthegreat (06-01-2008)

Thanks! That worked great, I installed the BossPrefs plugin, and had no problems.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Great app Colel!
    I have only one question,... do I need to change my ebooks to another location once I install your app? I have them stored at var/root/media/eBooks
    they are in html format.
    thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by esedaddy View Post
    Great app Colel!
    I have only one question,... do I need to change my ebooks to another location once I install your app? I have them stored at var/root/media/eBooks
    they are in html format.
    You can leave them there - ruBooks is opening /var initially, so you should be able to navigate down to /var/root/Media/EBooks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast