+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Music Sharing with iTunes!

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Here's one that seems to have slipped through the cracks: You can share your iPhone music library with your Mac iTunes! This note was posted by Mike in Erica Sadun's
    Developer
    Thanks

Default iPhone Music Sharing with iTunes!
    Here's one that seems to have slipped through the cracks:
    You can share your iPhone music library with your Mac iTunes!

This note was posted by Mike in Erica Sadun's blog about Bonjour on your iPhone:
    "A while back I ported Firefly Media Server (a.k.a. mt-daapd) to the iPhone, making use of the built-in mDNS (Bonjour) service. I don't know if it works on the latest firmware, but you guys are free to try it. Browse to http://home.mike.tl/iphone/ using MobileSafari and it should add the repository to Installer.app, from which you can install it. Then you can stream music from your iPhone to another device!"

Here's the full install info:

1) On your iPhone - browse to http://home.mike.tl/iphone/
    You will get a pop-up menu asking if you wish to add Mike's repository to your sources in Installer. Click yes.
    2) Open Installer on your iPhone - in the Media section there will now be Firefly Media server.
    3) Install it.
    There will be a delay while the Firefly scans your music library. 5-10 minutes depending on the music library's size.
    4) Restart iPhone.
    5) Start iTunes
    6) In Preferences - Set sharing to look for shared libraries
    7) iPhone should show up under "Shared" in the sidebar. (You may need to restart iTunes with new preferences)
    8) Click on iPhone name to access songs.
    9) You will be asked for a password. For now it is: dottie
    10) The list of songs available in your iPhone Library should now appear.
    11) Start dancing.

To Set Server Configuaration (including turn server off).
    1) On iPhone go to http:127.0.0.1:3689
    2) You will be asked for a username & password. For now it is User: root Pass: dottie
    3) A webpage will open with options to turn server off - rescan...etc.
    If you choose to turn the server off, the site becomes unavailable. (iTunes seems to hold onto connection as well - quit iTunes to be totally off). Media server is turned back on automatically when iPhone is restarted.
    4) There are links to Configuration pages where you can change Server admin passwords and media access passwords (won't change your iPhone just the media server) as well as many other things I have yet to mess with.

It works great. My iPhone music library is accessible from any computer running iTunes on my LAN.

Perhaps with a bit more exploring into the world on Bonjour someone could come up with a player for the iPhone that could see the media as well. Then we could share between phones. Mmmmmm.

Anyway - try this out. I'm not a huge fan of the way to turn the server on & off. A small utlility that can do it from the Springboard to avoid having to restart would be usefull. If anyone programming experience in this area - please help.

**** UPDATE ****
    From Mobile terminal you can turn the media server off & on

Turn on type:
    launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.fireflymediaserver.mt-daapd.plist

Turn off type:
    launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.fireflymediaserver.mt-daapd.plist
    Last edited by hartsteins; 10-25-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Stop / Start info

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hartsteins For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (10-25-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's incredible!

I'm running an old MT-DAAPD server in my basement. Haven't upgraded it in a while.

I've been able to set up SSH tunneling to my home network and stream music from it anywhere I get a decent Internet connection. Imagine setting up the same thing with the iPhone.

My whole 100GB music collection playable on the iPhone!
    cash removed my sig of a donation link.

http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com
    "Brewin' and 'quein' since last Tuesday."

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is great!
    imagine the opposite!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    when i go to http://home.mike.tl/iphone/ I get a white page with a little blue box in the middle (like a missing image or something) and thats it.

1.1.1 with lateste installer.app

...?

Thanks

This is running beautifully for me.

Question though: does running the server drain iPhone batteries at a markedly higher rate than without it?
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

Developer
    Thanks

NJRFilms - not sure why his web link isn't working for you. He mentions not testing with lastest firmware so that may include repository adding as well. The website really only adds his repository source to installer. You can do this yourself if you are able to SSH into your phone (or you can us Mobile TextEdit).

The plist of your installer sources is located at:
    /var/root/Library/Installer/PackageSources.plist

Add the following to that document:"
    <dict>
    <key>category</key>
    <string>Other Sources</string>
    <key>contact</key>
    <string>[email protected]</string>
    <key>location</key>
    <string>http://home.mike.tl/iphone/</string>
    <key>maintainer</key>
    <string>mtl</string>
    <key>name</key>
    <string>MTL Repository</string>
    <key>url</key>
    <string>http://home.mike.tl/iphone</string>
    </dict>

"Restart your phone
    The next time you open installer, the Firefly Media Server should be under Media.

jwcrash - No idea about power usage but you'd figure running any process will eat up your battery. If you open Mobile Terminal on your iPhone (or ssh in from terminal on your mac) and type: top it will show you a list of running processes and the % of cpu power they are using. Obviously the media server's usage changes dramtically if it is serving a file rather than sitting idle.
    Last edited by hartsteins; 10-25-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hartsteins View Post
    jwcrash - No idea about power usage but you'd figure running any process will eat up your battery. If you open Mobile Terminal on your iPhone (or ssh in from terminal on your mac) and type: top it will show you a list of running processes and the % of cpu power they are using. Obviously the media server's usage changes dramtically if it is serving a file rather than sitting idle.
    Thanks for the Terminal tip!
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

Thanks

can't get to this to work with Installer 3.0 any help ? or the manual way to install it ?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    wow, this is RAD!

soooo...any chance of adding controls for this to the Services App?

is it safe to enable/disable it using UIctl?

Thanks

is there a way to get this to play video?

I have it set up to recognize my mp4 files. But, it only plays the audio part in itunes.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninepins View Post
    wow, this is RAD!

soooo...any chance of adding controls for this to the Services App?

is it safe to enable/disable it using UIctl?
    this seems to work fine using the unload-w / load-w

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a problem in that my iphone music list doesn't appear in my shared library list. I see other people's shared music on the server but not my iphone playlist. I see firefly installed and it scanned my music library. Is there anything else i'm supposed to do? any help would be appreciated. thanks. I would love to be able to listen to my music at my work comp

Thanks

I just got it working fine on a jailbroken iPod Touch using 1.1.1
    Takes a while to load the song using iTunes over my WiFi, but i don't get good signal down this end of the house, so, its fantastic considering...

Takes a little perseverence. And i mean a little, i rebooted the ipod once, and installed the package twice before it worked fine. Catalogued all my songs, and now all is well.

Better show this off to people...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

Nice

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

How do you uninstall it if you dont want it anymore, I installed worked great but now I want to take it off my iphone, plase advise and thanks all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dallasnights View Post
    How do you uninstall it if you dont want it anymore, I installed worked great but now I want to take it off my iphone, plase advise and thanks all
    *sorry - wrong thread!** mods, please delete post!
    Last edited by Pittbull; 11-04-2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: ima duma**
    E=mc^2+/-3db

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just a heads-up.
    Try not to download and install FireflyMediaServer from any other source (like Conceited Software) - Mike's MTL Repository (http://home.mike.tl/iphone) works best.

I installed the program through Installer 3x - from Conceited Software, and it wouldnt work. I finally added Mike's repository as a source and installed it from there.

Worked like a charm from the first time.

One more hint : install UI for Launchtctl beforehand.

For some reason, if you install FireflyMediaServer first and UI for Launchctl later, it doesnt seem to be able to load the program!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey Greg, do you think you could help me on a little something? You seem pretty knowledgeable on this stuff.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the mt-daapd deamon running properly by commanding it to run directly, rather than through launchctl. Reason being, I'm trying to use iToggle to switch the service on and off. Problem is, iToggle addresses the daemon directly, rather than through launchd.
    http://web.newsguy.com/marcio/iphone/itoggle/

So...any idea how to translate those details in the .plist file into arguments when calling the daemon directly? I've gotta find out the same info for sshd (need the right arguments to start ssh with bonjour announcing) but I'd appreciate any advice in any direction with Firefly.

Thanks
    Can anyone help? iTunes doesn't seem to find my phone. I don't get a "shared" list added to iTunes. I'm running iphone unlocked 1.1.1 and iTunes 7.5. I installed the app from Mike (not ste) but nothing happening in iTunes.

Thanks

Go into preferences, then click on the shared tab and make sure its checked. Even if it is, uncheck, save, then recheck and save it and then it should work...

EDIT: Also, when I used it with 1.0.2, it only worked when the phone was on, so if you are going to use this for an extended period of time, dont let your phone go into sleep mode...
    Last edited by ajl917; 11-14-2007 at 02:23 PM.