+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Feeds - Native Google Reader App [BETA]

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I wrote a small native Google Reader app for the iPhone. It retrieves entries from your Google Reader account so you can read them offline. Every time you synchronize, all
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Feeds - Native Google Reader App [BETA]
    I wrote a small native Google Reader app for the iPhone. It retrieves entries from your Google Reader account so you can read them offline. Every time you synchronize, all the entries you've read offline will be marked as read on the server side.

UPDATE: Feeds is now available through the ModMyI.com repo, so it's no longer necessary to add my repository to Installer.app

Feel free to post any bug reports and feature requests in this thread. Also, if you're interested in the development of the app, you might want to check my blog.
    Last edited by 424f; 04-21-2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: new repository

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 424f For This Useful Post:

brush (05-02-2008), Deluxa (04-18-2008), hoanggiangph (09-24-2008), iphonecake (04-17-2008), PrplHaz4 (05-03-2008), x999x (04-17-2008), yue023 (05-06-2008)

Thanks

Been waiting for something like this, hope it can handle images also. I hate how reader scales them down and disables the "pinching" to zoom in and out. I like to read my gaming news at lunch and it sucks to see screenshots turned to mud.

Edit --

Wow this is awesome! Pics look great, and the "isntantaneous" aspect of reading articles is a treat. The images aren't cached, but they load in through EDGE nicely, and they're not as scaled down as reader makes them.

The only issue I have experienced, and I don't know if its an issue, is that I cannot adjust the settings once I've started to browse the feeds. I was looking to see if there was a way to cache more than 20 articles, but I couldn't evoke the settings without exiting and relaunching the app. No matter, there wasn't a cache limit feature anyway.

Another issue is that sometimes the page will not appear unless you swipe the page as if you're scrolling down.

That said, I'm done using reader.google.com now
    Last edited by x999x; 04-17-2008 at 03:07 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for your post, I'm glad you like it .

I guess I messed something up with the button bar right before I posted the app. There's a new version (0.2.1) online now in which this issue should be fixed. You can just update using the Installer.app.

About the image-caching-thing, stay tuned for the next versions

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Cool app. So far the best rss reader.
    Few things
    Back button takes a couple of taps to go back.
    story titles do not fit on screen. Maybe wrap them? provide a wide screen mode? and make font smaller?
    option to cache images
    Site Icons for feeds (instead of default rss icon)
    Link to the full story
    When you press outside links maybe zoom out? or use safari instead ( thought I do like staying in the app)
    No way to g0 back to rss article if you click on a link.

Good job!

Rip
    Thanks

Great app. Thank you.

I'd like to see a 'next' button rather than having to go back and forth to the list.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

really like this app.

issue? the first time when I type my username and pwd, the bottom menubar overlay the keyboard, so I can't switch to number... maybe bcz I have other IME installed?

and my google reader feed is really big, so, sometimes it crashed when syncing...

Great work!

EDIT:
    the number on the icon seems not correct, and could you add 'mark all read' and 'keep unread' button? That would be perfect!
    Looking forward to next version!
    Last edited by iphonecake; 04-17-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    One China

Thanks

Tried the app, just only, and it seems to load fine. Bu upon syncing, I get no news feeds from my google reader.

MAzor

Thanks

Great update

I too have noticed that my google rss news feed isn't loading, but all the others are.

Lastly, I have to hit the Back button a few times for it to work when reading an article.

A link to the full article would be great. Some feeds like BBC only parse the headlines and a small quote.

Thanks again!!

Thanks

Woohoo, There is an update in Installer. 0.2.1 from 0.2.0.

Now everything seems to be working. Feeds are syncing, and I can read the feeds.

I cant seem to load up pisaca feeds though, like MobileRSS, but hey, no more importing OPML files, hehe.

MAzor

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonecake View Post
    and my google reader feed is really big, so, sometimes it crashed when syncing...
    How many feeds are we talking about here? Does this still happen in 0.2.1?

the number on the icon seems not correct
    Are you sure? Could you name me one of the blogs that aren't showing up correctly? The numbers are definitely not the same that you see in Google Reader itself, because the app does not fetch all entries.

Quote Originally Posted by x999x
    I too have noticed that my google rss news feed isn't loading, but all the others are.
    What exactly do you mean by that? Which Google RSS news feed?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 424f For This Useful Post:

iphonecake (04-18-2008)

Thanks

wow, youe 0.2.1 is more than fantastic!!

It syncs both ways now!

Just tested syncing after reading feeds on both PC firefox and some different feeds in the iphone. And it updates read feeds both ways.

highly recommended for those who use Google reader and want a portable version on thier iphone.

MAzor

Oh one feature to add in that would be nice is a link to the main RSS web site using safari, similar to SmartRSS.

Mazor
    Last edited by mazor; 04-18-2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamse7en's Avatar
    Thanks

I would LOVE Newsgator to make a native RSS reader for the iPhone. Their whole system is fantastic. The online reader is better than Google Reader, the iPhone web app is great, and the app on my MacBook Pro is slick, fast, and gorgeous. And best of all, they're all in sync!

If you're an RSS lover, Newsgator is simply the best. (One thing I don't like, external links aren't iPhone optimized, like Google Reader does.)

Not convinced? Read Just Another iPhone Blog's take on Newsgator.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 424f View Post
    How many feeds are we talking about here? Does this still happen in 0.2.1?
    this happened in the first time, later on it's very fast.

Are you sure? Could you name me one of the blogs that aren't showing up correctly? The numbers are definitely not the same that you see in Google Reader itself, because the app does not fetch all entries.
    I mean the number on the Icon on springboard is different from the new entries I saw in Feeds.app. Like right now I got 11 new entries there but a 51 on the icon.

comments: if you could add "keep unread " and "mark all as read" button would be wonderful. And there are some feeds I delete from GoogleReader but still left in Feeds.app~

Anyways, it's really a great great app, just what I need everyday~ hope to see new version soon~
    One China

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

424f - man, this is awesome!

Mind if we host it on Installer/Cydia on our Community Sources for ya?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

What exactly do you mean by that? Which Google RSS news feed?
    The primary feed which lists all the generic categories such as Local News, World News, Tech News and Business News.

My icon shows nearly 200 articles, but hopping into Feeds only shows about 100, I have 5 feeds listed with 20 articles, but the google feed at the bottom remains blank.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, x999x, I'll look into that.

Tonight the app should be added to the ModMyI.com repo, so adding mine will no longer be necessary.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good job.

This is weird though: I can't type my password out because I don't have the option on my keyboard for numbers (i have no clue why) BUT, it doesn't really seem to matter as it is pulling my feeds just from my username.

Forget what I said up there.. The keyboard is working.

This is a good effort, it is definitely different from the other iphone readers because it can pull feeds from google reader. However, the lack of a button to read the full article is just silly. I would hope to see that in a future release.

I'll continue to use smartRSS until this one gets updated =)
    Last edited by sn0wballz; 04-19-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Interesting app. I've been looking for something like this. Shame my password has numbers in it!

Thanks

Didn't have any wifi or edge today, was in a totally dead area. Had 20 minutes to kill over lunch and having Feeds cached was downright awesome

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    Didn't have any wifi or edge today, was in a totally dead area. Had 20 minutes to kill over lunch and having Feeds cached was downright awesome
    How are you getting around the fact that you can't read the entire article?