Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Soft Home Button for iPhone released

The sleep/wake button...?

Quote Originally Posted by bootareen View Post
    I actually think this app is kinda useful. you dont have to move your fingers off the screen for getting back to the home screen (i know it sounds lazy but sometimes operating my ipod touch with one hand and pressing the home button is hard). Also, the ipod touch button is looser and feels less solid than the iphone one and sometimes i feel the button is going to break if i press it a few more times. thanks for the app!

[edit]
    downloaded the app manually (since i got the source but clickonce wasnt inside) but it doesn't work. I click on the icon and a low-res paintbrush picture comes up. Then a home button icon appears on the top left of the screen as you said. But the button isn't on the springboard or anything. It doesnt appear when im using other apps. when i click the actual home button, the onscreen home button disappears. It's like the virtual home button is in an app of itself and cannot be superimposed onto the screen in realtime like the capture.app screenshot application. I don't think i'm making any sense though...
    had the same problem, u gotta install it from the installer source...
    he gave the wrong source though.

this is the correct source: iphonecake.com/src/all
    previously known as iWant 1.1.1
    ...my dev-base...

iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Factory Unlocked

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luiz For This Useful Post:

bootareen (04-13-2008), whot (04-12-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    If I understand this correctly, this will put an icon on your desktop that acts as a soft home button. If you launch an app, you don't see the desktop (and its buttons) so you press the hardware button to get back to the desktop. And if you see the desktop, well then you are there and don't need to press any button (hardware or software).
    What am I missing here?
    ppl, try it first, do not just use ur imagination.

honestly why dont some of you actually try it before u criticize it....its pretty cool and my home button sticks and gets stuck sometimes so this app is my saviour ....Thanks
    iPhone 8G
    1.1.4 Unlocked on Rogers (ZiPhone)
    Jailbroken
    Windows XP + Mac OS X Leopard

It does overlay the soft home button on all your open apps. You could also, as seeing the button on everything, just make the button transparent and put it in an corner and you get a hot corner. Or put it dead middle of the screen, cause most apps have some buttons on corners or near by. But if you put it dead center could actually work for most apps.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

it'd be cool if the on screen button could also be held for a few seconds to force quit apps or double tapped to bring up the volume controls. let's do away with the hardware button! lol

Thanks

you guys, plz dont dis this app, i have a broken home button and i needed this really bad
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    you guys, plz dont dis this app, i have a broken home button and i needed this really bad
    Nice to see someone can really use this app.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

has anyone had a problem with this app? the app worked great at first when i downloaded it through installer. strange thing is after installing, and clicking the home button, my springboard didn't automatically restart. the virtual home button worked at this point and so did everything else, so i didn't pay any attention to that. but, when i manually restarted my phone, everything went funny. first the lock screen flashed in and out. then after unlocking, i could select programs, but nothing within the programs responded to my touch. i had to restore my whole phone. i'm on 1.14 firmware.

hawpunch, same problem here, had to restore.

Have you previously make any modification to your General.plist under Preferences app? I did for dock reflection, and it also cause similar problems with the 'sunburst' dock app.

lurkspur,

i've made no such changes, but i had the same effect when i had dock on my iphone. however, everyone that was on the 1.1.4 firmware also reported the same glitch with dock.

i decided to bite the bullet again and after restoring my phone and putting some of my third party apps back on, downloaded the home button software again. however, i am currently having no problems with it. i restarted after the download, and it appears to be fine (cross my fingers). it might have conflicted with another 3rd party program. i'm just happy it work as i was getting worried i was wearing out the home button.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    This is a really good reason for needing this app.

Maybe this isn't on the same level, but is there way you can modify your app to make it switch between apps? I hate having to push the home button every time I go back and forth from apps.

Just wondering.

Edit: Just installed, works good except when I'm in the phone menu, don't really know why. Everywhere else works though. I'm thinking of changing the icon and maybe making it transparent like someone mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by iPhoneMadness; 04-17-2008 at 06:52 PM.

hawpunch,
    some claim it might be conflicting with Caterpillar, but glad to know its working on yours. I am staying away for now. I had the problem with Dock when I was on 1.1.1, never tried it on 1.1.4, thanks for the warning.

iPhoneMadness, the 'sunburst' Dock app helps you switch between apps without pressing the home button. But like what hawpunch mentioned, it causes some serious issues. So approach with caution, preferably switch on your SSH as well when installing, just in case anything goes wrong.
    Last edited by lurkspur; 04-17-2008 at 10:04 PM.

basically, its used for if ur homebutton is broken, so u can use the soft home button to go back to main

some other issues i've found:

1. soft home button disappears in ipod music/video application

2. soft home button doesn't work in phone application

3. exiting out of safari and mail apps using the soft home button will cause the programs to reset and forget any changes you've made.

obviously the program needs some further work, but for now its working well.

some other issues i've found:

1. soft home button disappears in ipod music/video application

2. soft home button doesn't work in phone application

3. exiting out of safari and mail apps using the soft home button will cause the programs to reset and forget any changes you've made.

obviously the program needs some further work, but for now its working well.
    Last edited by hawpunch; 04-18-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,
    that soft home button is exactly what i'm looking for, i'm so happy to have found that thread...
    The home button of my ipod doesn't work at all, and friend of mine have troubles with it too, and have to push it really hard to make it work.

I had script error during install, but after rebooting my ipod, i could see the soft button on the main screen.
    It's working well for most apps, but i have same issues as Hawpunch described, when i'm on the music/podcast screen, the button disappear, and i have to reboot my ipod to get it back.

It's really good someone had the idea to make that soft button..
    WTG !!!

hi,
    i'm also one of the guys with a broken home button, so i've been trying to install this app, however whenever i try and install it i get an error, "Package download failed!", is this file still available, or is there anywhere else or any other app that does the same thing i can get?

cheers!

Matt

matt, the program is currently in beta stages and at version .2. unfortunately version .2 created the spinning wheel of death requiring a total restore of the phone or a manual uninstall of the program through ssh. the developer has not updated the software, but i'm assuming that due to the reported catastrophic problem, he/she has pulled the software from installer. hopefully he/she will update it later on.

ah thanks for that info, you wouldn't happen to know of any other software i could get that might help solve my problem, either remapping the home key to one of the volume keys, or another soft home key application???
    thanks for the reply!

i have managed to find this thread http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33530 on a different forum, that offers work arounds, any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

do check out that link if you're in the same situation as me in the meantime!

MAtt
    Last edited by matt_wood87; 05-19-2008 at 04:41 PM.

matt, sorry but this is the only program i know of which could help you or others similarly situated as you. my homebutton is not broken, but i'm afraid with enough use, it will be. so when this program came out it was a godsend. unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a while. cross your fingers and hope that the developer comes back to it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast