+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: USB Reverse Tether app?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Does there exist a USB Reverse Tether app that will work on my iPhone 4S? What I need is an app that will let me use my PC's internet connection
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default USB Reverse Tether app?
    Does there exist a USB Reverse Tether app that will work on my iPhone 4S?
    What I need is an app that will let me use my PC's internet connection and not the other way around. I have no signal to speak of where I work, and it's against my work's policy for me to set up an Ad-hoc wireless network, so reverse wifi tether is out.

That leaves Bluetooth or USB, and I don't think iPhone's bluetooth supports networking.

My phone is jailbroken on 5.1.1, so anything that requires a jailbroken phone is fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I understand this as you wanting to minimize your normal 3G data usage while at work. I can see this as a possibility on the USB connection, modifying the routes on the iphone to use the usb bridge made by mywi.

So begin by using an app that can can tether via USB, like mywi. Then connect iPhone to computer via USB to a computer with iTunes or a Linux computer with ipheth-utils.
    To see the routes: netstat -r
    To edit, use the route command. You need a network package from cydia for these commands.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, my daughter had a similar type of issue when she went to University. She had no wifi and could only connect her laptop to the network cable in her room. We bought a wifi router, connected the network cable into the back of the router and out to the laptop. The router also had an option to spoof the MAC address of her laptop (or in your case your desktop PC) Anyway she now has wifi for her iPhone.