Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SBSettings Workarounds/General RAM leakage fixes

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I go crazy when my ram starts to show 300 ish ram.
    Me too. There's this part of me that just can't quite believe it as totally moot. I gave King the scenario - that for a full 4S worth of tweaks running - my RAM got as low as 30MB at times. And the phone felt like a 2G iPhone. HORRIBLE. The sluggishness and instances of apps just disappearing (crash but not to safe mode) was palpable. So there still IS a point 'below which' our phones DO slow down in the presence of TOO little RAM. The question is - can it be reached on a 5 with 1GB of RAM. Prolly not. My phone - with SBSettings and Auxo both installed - and the way I run my Widgets has gotten down to 195MB of RAM at its lowest. The launch of apps was jerky in the animation launch. So for me - there is still evidence, anecdotal, I grant you (pun intended), that lower RAM is a place you want to stay away from.

I make the main part of my living in pro recording DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) where when our RAM gets low the softwares can even crash. That's in Brand new Apple Mac Pros. So in Apple's world the general principle of 'low RAM is something to stay away from' still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I go crazy when my ram starts to show 300 ish ram.
    Funny, on my iPod Touch 5g and iPad Mini, I'm happy to even see 300mb Makes you wonder then, if the same appstore apps runs on a simple iPod with 300mb free as optimal, should it matter if your iPhone dips into the 300's ?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

It doesn't matter if it does just something i have with it being it had a gig or memory i don't like it when it gits that low. Just I guess like everyone else said something OCD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-16-2013), The.Drifter (02-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post

So there still IS a point 'below which' our phones DO slow down in the presence of TOO little RAM. The question is - can it be reached on a 5 with 1GB of RAM. Prolly not. My phone - with SBSettings and Auxo both installed - and the way I run my Widgets has gotten down to 195MB of RAM at its lowest. The launch of apps was jerky in the animation launch. So for me - there is still evidence, anecdotal, I grant you (pun intended), that lower RAM is a place you want to stay away from.
    What your experiencing, in my opinion, is memory that was taken from "wired" memory during app use that can only be reallocated with a free ram process or respring. Jaibreaking and mobile substrate can alter the way apple manages memory, and these issues probably wouldn't be a problem on non-jailbroken devices. That's the price we pay for our ability to use tweaks and themes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-16-2013)

I agree with Drifter and Pinoy about ram. It's more of an OCD thing. I see no measurable difference in performance when reading 700mb or 300mb of ram. I just feel better when my phone is clean. I'm so bad that I go into the modmyi app and manually clean out more than 600 temp files. The i5 runs so well that u can't tell but I will say that in older devices it made a difference. This is probably where Pinoy and I get our habits from. Drifter I don't know u personally but I have used so much of your work so thanks for all u do man.

And Drifter u can download omnistat from Cydia and this will display all your 4 categories of ram as well as kill processes and several other bits of info . This will display in the notification center so It might be better than an app u have to launch.

NewDestiny I have seen u mention me a lot today and I appreciate u throwing my name with awesome folks like King and Pinoy but I'm not where these guys are in this community. I don't like labels like noob or veteran but I'm definitely no veteran. Just a tech guy who likes to learn and who is sexually attracted to his iPhone. Nothing more and nothing less. But it's cool of u to be so gracious about it. I know u and I have had so many fights that its nice when its just civil and courteous.
    Last edited by Krima; 02-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-16-2013), Pinoy (02-16-2013), The.Drifter (02-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    . Drifter I don't know u personally but I have used so much of your work so thanks for all u do man.
    Thanks bro, it means a lot to me that people like my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    And Drifter u can download omnistat from Cydia and this will display all your 4 categories of ram as well as kill processes and several other bits of info . This will display in the notification center so It might be better than an app u have to launch.
    I think I tried onmistat on IOS5 jailbreak and found that it kills processes incrementally, so I had to tap it like 10 times to get it to the point that SBsettings got with one kill process routine. Does it still do that or am I thinking of a different tweak? I'm unsure, guess the easiest way would be to download it again and see for myself

I actually miss SBsettings and it's ease of use/functionality already, so I'm gonna remove these several tweaks and reinstall it and live with it until it gets updated I respring plenty of times a day modding around, so it don't really matter if its still a little buggy, it serves for my purposes. Old habits are hard to break, but sure was fun exploring other options

Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    Thanks bro, it means a lot to me that people like my stuff

I think I tried onmistat on IOS5 jailbreak and found that it kills processes incrementally, so I had to tap it like 10 times to get it to the point that SBsettings got with one kill process routine. Does it still do that or am I thinking of a different tweak? I'm unsure, guess the easiest way would be to download it again and see for myself

I actually miss SBsettings and it's ease of use/functionality already, so I'm gonna remove these several tweaks and reinstall it and live with it until it gets updated I respring plenty of times a day modding around, so it don't really matter if its still a little buggy, it serves for my purposes. Old habits are hard to break, but sure was fun exploring other options
    U may not be happy with the kill processes function. It will sometimes force a respring. It's nowhere near perfect but convenient to have it in the notification center. I am trying my hardest to not install sbsettings. I have Auxo for my toggles and remove background apps. I use ncram to display my free ram so I don't need sbsettings though I loved how it displayed the ram dynamically on the status bar. I have messaged the creator of springtomize to fix his free ram display but no luck yet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (02-16-2013)

hey guys sorry to bump an old thread, but I'd figure it was most appropriate as it relates to the topic..

Hey Destiny, have you found/know of any tweaks that displays free+inactive ram on the status bar besides SBSettings?

Not looking for NC as I dont use it..

hey guys sorry to bump an old thread, but I'd figure it was most appropriate as it relates to the topic..

Hey Destiny, have you found/know of any tweaks that displays free+inactive ram on the status bar besides SBSettings?

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post

Springtomize does it too.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Springtomize does it too.
    I dont know use too many tweaks, as I like to keep my phone as less congest as possible, but do you know if Springtomize has the same memory leak issue as SB?

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    I dont know use too many tweaks, as I like to keep my phone as less congest as possible, but do you know if Springtomize has the same memory leak issue as SB?
    Nope. Springtomize is perfectly clean and offers amazing features for customizing your phone.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12