+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak leads to tethering charges.. 5.1.1 AT&T??

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hello, I couldn't find the right place to ask this, but I've been using this site for months.. Basically I recently restored to 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak on iphone 4s. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Jailbreak leads to tethering charges.. 5.1.1 AT&T??
    Hello, I couldn't find the right place to ask this, but I've been using this site for months..

Basically I recently restored to 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak on iphone 4s. I got a call today and they said since I am using the tethering function they are going to charge me now..

The problem is, I am not using tethering.. for anything?

Any ideas on this topic? Is there something this jailbreak has done that when plugged into my computer, my computer is pulling info from the data network somehow?

Thanks!

EVO
    Thanks

i'm no expert in tethering, but I believe you have to set up a "Personal Hotspot" via the iphone Settings to allow your iphone to be in tethering mode..

Did you check that to see if it was on or not?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks, and yes it is definatly off.. and i've never used it.. but they were insinuating my phone was jailbroken, which of course it is.. They said that downloading anything "NOT" on their network or using apps to conceal other apps (I believe he was referring to IPAFree or w/e)..

Regardless I feel I should call them and battle this, but I wanted to see if someone knew something I didn't.. Thanks for the reply though mate!

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Demalii View Post
    thanks, and yes it is definatly off.. and i've never used it.. but they were insinuating my phone was jailbroken, which of course it is.. They said that downloading anything "NOT" on their network or using apps to conceal other apps (I believe he was referring to IPAFree or w/e)..

Regardless I feel I should call them and battle this, but I wanted to see if someone knew something I didn't.. Thanks for the reply though mate!
    they CANNOT determine that you are jailbroken just because you're tethering

HOWEVER, if you are using some app or tweak that does some tethering, they will know that you are tethering because the traffic is sent to AT&T's router who determines who uses it based on the packet's "header"..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok but regardless there shouldn't be any sort of data transfer unless i turn on the personal hotspot so that's my concern i guess.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If anyone knows anything...

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with ATT, I reiterated my question about 10 times... I got the same response each time.. There must be a tethering app or mod on my phone which doesn't require the personal hotspot to be on...

She completely was insinuating that my phone was jailbroken but didn't say that.. she just kept giving the same response.. So what on the 5.1.1ipsw jailbroken by absinthe is causing tethering?

Any ideas, appreciated! =)

EVO
    Thanks

There are Apps on the appstore that uses tethering, so it can be one of those (if you have any installed)

however, absinthe does NOT install any tethering function...

Are you sure you didnt install some cydia tweak that allows tethering?

Ask them to send you documentation of when your phone was using the tethering service and recall what you were doing during those times.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool thanks evo!

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Demalii View Post
    Cool thanks evo!
    good luck buddy

we welcome any other questions you have.