Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia app reviews

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Ugh, I hate reloading data. Just when you think you're all done with everything loading.......noooope.
    Hint while it's doing that double tap the home button then go back into Cydia by tapping above and LOADING IS GONE

Ugh, I hate reloading data. Just when you think you're all done with everything loading.......noooope.
    Do none of you understand how Cydia works?? That Cydia is just a GUI front end to APT and dpkg, and that all install functions of Cydia can be done through SSH/Terminal??? The only downside to installing via Terminal is having to know the pkg ID string, Cydia is really just a convenient way to browse the package lists and quickly install.

That reloading data that you hate so much is what takes the recent updates lists and makes them incorporated into the Cydia "Browser Structure" so you can click and install.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Hint while it's doing that double tap the home button then go back into Cydia by tapping above and LOADING IS GONE
    Yeah but that typically stops the incorporation of new package info into Cydias "Browsing Structure" which defeats the purpose of letting Cydia check for updates, because they won't show up in the Changes Tab or anywhere else in Cydia.
    Last edited by zrevai; 02-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Run apt-get update through Terminal. It just updates your sources but does it much faster because there is no GUI to load. Just the sources. Then when ya open Cydia, it will start updating sourced but u can just cancel cuz you already did it Through Terminal, and ya won't have to watch the page reload when your in the middle of reading an info page.

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    Do none of you understand how Cydia works?? That Cydia is just a GUI front end to APT and dpkg, and that all install functions of Cydia can be done through SSH/Terminal??? The only downside to installing via Terminal is having to know the pkg ID string, Cydia is really just a convenient way to browse the package lists and quickly install.

That reloading data that you hate so much is what takes the recent updates lists and makes them incorporated into the Cydia "Browser Structure" so you can click and install.

Yeah but that typically stops the incorporation of new package info into Cydias "Browsing Structure" which defeats the purpose of letting Cydia check for updates, because they won't show up in the Changes Tab or anywhere else in Cydia.
    Very thorough explanation. I just want to put out there that this thread seems to have started because the UI experience with Cydia is awfully cumbersome and should be rebuilt from the ground up. Yes, we all hate the Reloading Data and the majority of us know what that is, but there has to be a better way to front load that information to Cydia in the background noise of normal device function. Kind of like how the date/time if set in automatically update will check small snippets of info from the web for the correct date/time for your current location.

Thanks

I usually test tweaks etc and post app/tweak reviews before posting reviews. I see most tech reviewers check changes in cydia and use that as a guide but that's not always the tuning fork for "new" tweaks you should try my2cents lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    Very thorough explanation. I just want to put out there that this thread seems to have started because the UI experience with Cydia is awfully cumbersome and should be rebuilt from the ground up. Yes, we all hate the Reloading Data and the majority of us know what that is, but there has to be a better way to front load that information to Cydia in the background noise of normal device function. Kind of like how the date/time if set in automatically update will check small snippets of info from the web for the correct date/time for your current location.
    In my opinion, Cydia is perfectly designed. It will load all updates abd packages once at one time, instead of constantly refreshing like the App Store. How much faster is the App Store compared to Cydia? In my experience, so long as you have a decent Internet connection, Cydia is way faster. The only thing that needs changed about Cydia is its Search function. It should have a search function for every sections instead of one search tab, that shows all packages from every section. That's really all it needs. Cydia handles loading package info way better than the App Store.

The App Store should be more like Cydia IMO.

Certain repos have a comment area on the tweaks they have, not many bother to comment but it's something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm all for the rating system.

Quote Originally Posted by mprunty View Post
    I'm all for the rating system.
    Yes me too.

It's really about time cydia built in a rating system. I've been burned with a few apps with no support from developers at all.
    But honestly, what can we do to force an update like this? There's no competition to flock to so unfortunately, we are all stuck. But maybe we can all send an email or voice our opinions together somehow. Petition?

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I agree, but chpwn and saurik seem pretty stubborn. By the way, is this supposed to be on the front page?
    What's up with the front page? Is it sacred or what?

I agree with having ratings.

Is there a different website that has reviews for reliable cydia apps?

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idkanymore View Post
    Is there a different website that has reviews for reliable cydia apps?
    idownloadblog has great reviews - along with their YouTube channel myjailbreakmoviea. hit them up

Quote Originally Posted by hallj29018 View Post
    Would really be a great idea if they did....
    if they did, the user of app may increase a lot. more reviews, more user.
    I can't stop laughing!

The devs usually have a FB or Twitter account. If I have a problem with a tweak/hack/app, I just go there for support. They are more likely to reply when you post it where the world can see.

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

There are some comments from saurik about the complexities of potentially including ratings and reviews quoted in this article from a while ago - you can scroll down to "'Rate' and 'Review' Sections", and I'll also quote the relevant part here:

We actually tried this, and it was a miserable failure: more time had to be spent moderating the reviews, most of which were misleading, inflammatory, or downright inappropriate, than anyone got value out of this mechanism: it was even worse than on the App Store, which is notorious for bad reviews (people often rate down a package for inane reasons, making the data horribly invalid).

Given these issues, I attempted to put together a vision of how comments and ratings could work in Cydia, and even made a trial implementation (screenshots were even handed out at some points, and I did demos at a few conferences), but when word came up that I was even considering releasing it, I received strong pushback from some of the best developers in the ecosystem–the people you are most likely to want to give mega-good reviews to–that if I continued with that they would give up on the ecosystem, due to the issues from before.

And, to be honest, I am not certain that I would have solved those problems, and given subsequent experiences from alternative products, and looking at how people used the ratings, what people said in the comments, and how things finally got rated, I no longer believe that I would have: I believe the concept of the off-the-shelf “comments and ratings” to be a fundamentally flawed system that inherently leads to abuse.

Now, not all rating systems need to be “off-the-shelf”, so something truly innovating and “actually solving the problem” is what I hope to one day provide for Cydia. In the meantime, however, I always do my best to avoid injecting seriously suboptimal tradeoffs into our ecosystem.
    There are also a couple of long comments from saurik in this thread that address further concerns and suggestions about review systems - I recommend reading the whole thread if you're interested in these things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12