+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lost All Contacts

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hello, today I was using my iPhone 4S on IOS 5.0.1 and just randomly, all of my contacts were gone. I added one new contact and after about five minutes,
    Banned
    Thanks
    Default Lost All Contacts
    Hello, today I was using my iPhone 4S on IOS 5.0.1 and just randomly, all of my contacts were gone. I added one new contact and after about five minutes, they were all erased. I restored it and then restored from the iCloud backup but I still have no contacts. The iCloud backup was from about 24 hours ago. Is there any way to recover my 300+ contacts?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,146 Posts

That is the strangest thing I've heard all week. If you go to your text messages are they listed as contacts or just phone numbers?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

Macmac80210 (01-15-2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    That is the strangest thing I've heard all week. If you go to your text messages are they listed as contacts or just phone numbers?
    Just phone numbers. Same with recent calls. I also discovered them all missing on my iPad and MacBook with Lion. I turned off iCloud on all three and nothing. The strange part is that I was able to recover all of my contacts that were on my computer by using time machine. The funny part was, when iCloud was on, they would be deleted in under 30 seconds. With iCloud off, they would remain in the Address Book. The other strange part is that the contacts will not sync through iTunes back onto the phone. If I add one on the phone, it goes on to the computer but the recovered contacts on the computer do not appear on the phone. Even with iTunes set to sync contacts through the "info" tab. I am going to the Genius Bar tomorrow with all three devices. We will see what they can do. I need my contacts back It would sure be a pain to manually add all of them back in! They are on the computer! They just refuse to move...Seems like a major iCloud issue to me!! Thank gosh for time machine!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Macmac80210 View Post
    Just phone numbers. Same with recent calls. I also discovered them all missing on my iPad and MacBook with Lion. I turned off iCloud on all three and nothing. The strange part is that I was able to recover all of my contacts that were on my computer by using time machine. The funny part was, when iCloud was on, they would be deleted in under 30 seconds. With iCloud off, they would remain in the Address Book. The other strange part is that the contacts will not sync through iTunes back onto the phone. If I add one on the phone, it goes on to the computer but the recovered contacts on the computer do not appear on the phone. Even with iTunes set to sync contacts through the "info" tab. I am going to the Genius Bar tomorrow with all three devices. We will see what they can do. I need my contacts back It would sure be a pain to manually add all of them back in! They are on the computer! They just refuse to move...Seems like a major iCloud issue to me!! Thank gosh for time machine!!!!!!!!

UPDATE!!

So, I went to the genius bar and it was a thirty second fix....My old mobile me was signed in and for some reason it was fighting with my iCloud...I booked four appointments one after another so that we could not be rushed and it took about five minutes...The guy who helped me, said that he had the same problem about a week ago! So to anyone that reads this, make sure that you have migrated and signed out of mobile me on all devices running iCloud.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,146 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info, I'm sure this is going to help others. Cheers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My old mobile me was signed in and for some reason it was fighting with my iCloud...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I guess this is what you could do if someone you know could recover iPhone contacts:-

1. Get an iPhone and take a backup of the same on your system - use iTunes to do that;
    2. Now (this is really critical and follow it at your own risk) log into your iCloud account on the phone and restore that phone while pointing to the iCloud backup. In this was you will have all of the iCloud data in that phone;

3. Now use another computer (or at least another user account on the same computer) to take a backup of the phone with your data - don't use the same account as everytime iTunes takes a backup of your phone, it overwrites the previous one. So you risk a chance of loosing the data which originally came with the phone;

4. Get an iPhone Data Recovery software and install it on the computer which has your data backed up.

I hope this will help you!