Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ScrollingBoard Problem - Blank dock after respring

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ins0mniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Arrow ScrollingBoard Problem - Blank dock after respring
    Hi guys. Hope this is the right area to post this.

I have a problem with ScrollingBoard on my iPhone4 (on iOS5 - semi-tethered jailbreak via RedSn0w).

Every time I respring the phone, the dock is blank. As soon as I go into any app and switch back to the springboard my dock icons appear, and ScrollingBoard works perfectly, but the dock icons are never visible after a respring (even if I dont' touch the iPhone, they don't appear until a full screen app is launched and exited)

It's obviously not a major problem, but it is still an annoyance, as obviously the icons on my dock are the ones I use the most, so I generally have to resort to spotlight to launch my first app after a respring.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Is it a conflict with another tweak perhaps? Any advice would be most appreciated.

could you get over the problem with scrollingboard's blank dock after respring? Im facing the same issue. just need to open an app and exit to get it to show up. what could it have to do with could you find? Id appreciate if you shared
    thanks

okay after restore and spending many hours apps by apps on finding it out, the problem app came out: it is Screen Dimmer
    uninstalling it fixes the blank dock problem after every spring for scrollingboard. I hope the developers will come up with an upgrade soon
    I am feeling proud of myself as I think I saved the hours of similar problem owners, took the whole night
    I wish I could now find what app causes 1/4 screen issue after every reboot or shut down/power on as with no cydia apps on fresh restore everything was working fine. But trying to find that out is not as easy for a reboot takes a lot of time to wait for to try out each app separately. I hope somebody knows the buggy app already and shares it.
    Thanks

Thanks

Well done cey42. To be honest I got fed up with it and resorted to uninstalling ScrollingBoard and using Infinidock instead. It seems a bit smoother, but it lacks the cool music controls on the dock. I also still use Screendimmer and I'm not sure I'd want to uninstall that just to get my ScrollingBoard dock to show up, so I think I'll stick with Infinidock until the problem is rectified.

Again, well done for isolating the conflict though. Did you contact the developer/s of ScrollingBoard and/or ScreenDimmer? There's easy ways to email them from within Cydia, and its always good to let them know of bugs and incompatibilities.

By the way the "quarter screen after reboot" issue is one pretty much everybody is afflicted by. Its caused by Activator on iOS5.x. Not sure if a fix is on the way.

I'm glad I could be of help and keep you from going through all those tough steps so thank you for your comment, it was motivating to know there are people with similar problems who could make us of the findings and the efforts are not wasted but worth it

As to whether I contact the developer, yes I sent an email to screendimmer developer over its web page, don't remember what source it's developer is from, and in his contact page it states he got many emails and couldnot reply to each of them so he was sorry for that

Anyway but I didn't get in touch with scrollingboard developers
    Maybe it should be done as well
    Did you contact them ins0mnia?

Besides, cydia updates for activator come out from time to time
    Is your 1/4 screen problem still there or fixed by activator updates that I don't remember if any came out lately after this thread. If not could you find a workaround for the screen issue?

Thanks

Thanks

Yep I contacted the Scrollingboard dev, but he said it was the fault of the other app, but didn't elaborate further. Its possible its been updated to fix the issue now though, as I stopped using it and have been happy with Infinidock as a replacement. It just seems more stable and plays nicely with all other tweaks.

I still get the wierd 1/4 screen issue on occasional reboots, and what's funny is sometimes my iPad2 boots up in "phone mode" or "gaint ipod touch mode" too (complete with tiny phone keyboard and everything ) which also requires a respring to fix.

There must be some bug at boot level when the device boots into the right device environment and resolution. Who knows what causes it, but I think Activator is still to blame somehow. Its a small price to pay for all the awesome things you can do with Activator though. I couldn't live without it

I just tried to reboot again and see that I have not anymore screen 1/4 problem
    I guess as you said activator was to blame and everything must have worked out perfectly after an activator upgrade
    So I recommend you to upgrade/reinstall if not work uninstall/reinstall activator and see if all works flawless
    As to iPad booting up in phone mode I have no idea what it is caused by hope you find a fix soon
    Is infiniboard a replacement for scrolligboard? What advantages it brings over scrollingboard? Missing music controls is a big minus to me
    Btw I wonder where you're from, I've not been a forum user for a long time until I got involved in Jb stuff actually it was my first thread regarding an iPhone matter
    So I wonder where the guy is from that I for the first time talked about iPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cey242 View Post
    I just tried to reboot again and see that I have not anymore screen 1/4 problem
    I guess as you said activator was to blame and everything must have worked out perfectly after an activator upgrade
    So I recommend you to upgrade/reinstall if not work uninstall/reinstall activator and see if all works flawless
    As to iPad booting up in phone mode I have no idea what it is caused by hope you find a fix soon
    Is infiniboard a replacement for scrolligboard? What advantages it brings over scrollingboard? Missing music controls is a big minus to me
    Btw I wonder where you're from, I've not been a forum user for a long time until I got involved in Jb stuff actually it was my first thread regarding an iPhone matter
    So I wonder where the guy is from that I for the first time talked about iPhone
    As it says under my name, I'm all the way from Hobart Australia. Hobart is the capital city of Tasmania (the tiny little island state, at the bottom of Australia)

As for other bugs with phone and iPad (when they first boot), they don't occur very often, and can be easily solved with a respring, so I'm not that bothered by them. Overall my iPad2 and iPhone4 are both running very well jailbroken on iOS 5.01.

hey insomniac, I have a question to you
    I restored my phone and set up as new iphone so didnt use itunes backup nor icloud but to see my contacts being intact with a few new added ones missing. where did they come from? I set mails contact sync on but they have those new added 10-15 contacts but the rest 170 contacts were there. I thought that icloud erases all its contents if you dont select it as restore means in the selection time. I thought icloud always syncs 1 sided so form iphone to icloud web storage. but now it seems that i keeps the contacts and syncs them 2-way even if you dont select icloud as restore means
    what do you think? do you know anything about this?
    Id appreciate if you shared

thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cey242 View Post
    hey insomniac, I have a question to you
    I restored my phone and set up as new iphone so didnt use itunes backup nor icloud but to see my contacts being intact with a few new added ones missing. where did they come from? I set mails contact sync on but they have those new added 10-15 contacts but the rest 170 contacts were there. I thought that icloud erases all its contents if you dont select it as restore means in the selection time. I thought icloud always syncs 1 sided so form iphone to icloud web storage. but now it seems that i keeps the contacts and syncs them 2-way even if you dont select icloud as restore means
    what do you think? do you know anything about this?
    Id appreciate if you shared

thanks
    Sorry about the very late reply. I was just cleaning out my inbox and found this, so I'm not sure how I missed it the first time!

To be honest I'm not sure how to help with your specific iCloud contacts problem, as I've always used Google Sync instead, for perfectly synced 'pushed' contacts, calendar and Gmail across all my iDevices. It works flawlessly and allows you to set up your contacts very easily from within Gmail on your browser, then sync them in a few easy steps with any mobile device that supports the Microsoft Exchange Protocol.

If you use Gmail, and want to give this method a go instead, I reccomend importing all your contacts to Gmail first on a computer, then follow the instructions here to setup Google using the exchange method on your iDevice, as detailed in this step by step guide. Make sure you select the 'Replace Contacts' option when importing, rather than "merge" to avoid duplicate entries.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't help with the iCloud settings. I only use iCloud for saving settings of apps or syncing apps across my iPad and iPhone. However I don't use iCloud email, contacts, calendar, pictures or device backup as they are all pretty slow and crappy in my opinion. I much prefer backing up my devices locally and rely on Google, Picasa and services like DropBox for all my cloud storage needs

hey guys,
    Thanks for the info about Screen Dimmer, it's been driving me crazy for about 6 months! I've actually narrowed down the problem to the "Don't lock after Respring" setting, turn it off and you can still use the screen dimming functionality.
    Hope this helps you out and maybe the dev will be able to do something about it.