+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help, iProtect spinning wheel

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I installed iProtect earlier, and when I went to respring my iPhone, it just stayed on the wheel. I decided to hold the Power/Sleep button and Home button until it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Help, iProtect spinning wheel
    I installed iProtect earlier, and when I went to respring my iPhone, it just stayed on the wheel. I decided to hold the Power/Sleep button and Home button until it shut off so I could reboot it. When it booted, it stayed on the Apple logo along with the spinning wheel. Do I have any other option besides restoring? I currently don't have a backup of installed Cydia apps (list or data), and I would prefer not to restore to 4.3.5 (my iPhone came with 4.3.3 but there is no SHSH for it as I believe I purchased it after Apple stopped signing it)

iPhone 4
    4.3.3 Firmware

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,205 Posts

You can try gittin iPhone explorer off the net. Plug ya phone into a comp and see if it comes up with anything and try to delete that tweak? Only option I can think of

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. The only problem is that I cannot find anything I had installed from Cydia, though I know it's there. I found a lot of old posts stating that it was under mobile/Applications, and stash/Applications. The folder in mobile only contains AppStore apps, and there is no Applications folder in stash. The only difference is that I used SSH instead, as the phone still connects to WiFi and I have a static IP address.

EDIT: I installed iExplorer, and quickly noticed another folder named "Applications". Inside I found all my Cydia apps. I deleted iProtect.app, and I'm hoping Springboard will start now... and nope, it does not work.
    Last edited by Kracka56; 09-29-2011 at 07:01 PM.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,205 Posts

And it started this after ya installed this tweak?

Thanks

iProtect uses MobileSubstrate, right? Try this: SSH to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/ and look for any the dylib file associated with iProtect (typically the naming convention is obvious) and change the extension to disabled. Respring by typing killall SpringBoard (case SeNSitive) and it should hopefully resolve your problem.

If in the future you install something and it requires you to "Restart Springboard", there is a high likelihood that what you installed uses MS- which is not at all a bad thing, my favorite tweaks are all MS extensions. The point is that if you had to respring after installation and run into SWOD, check the DynamicLibraries folder for the tweaks' DYLIB and rename it to something other than DYLIB. Note: the reason I say to rename the extension .disabled is because that is how SBSettings enables or disables MS dylibs in the More apps. This should be used as a last resort, as it can be unsafe to do this. However, if it came down to trying this or restoring, I'd give it a shot. This infos has saved me, err my iDevice, a few times
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 10-03-2011 at 02:34 AM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

I just want to add that SBSettings says to “never uninstall a dylib while it is disabled,” so I guess you'll need to keep the tweak installed (but disabled) until you upgrade.

Also, if you use an app like PkgBackup to backup your packages before upgrading, be sure it doesn't backup the tweak.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thekirbylover For This Useful Post:

Imahottguy (10-03-2011)

Thanks

Thanks kirbylover, I am surprised that I forgot to mention that or do you go by ad@m? Also, PKGBackup ftw! It is very easy to use, and also to make sure that the offending package is not included in the backup.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Thanks kirbylover, I am surprised that I forgot to mention that or do you go by ad@m? Also, PKGBackup ftw! It is very easy to use, and also to make sure that the offending package is not included in the backup.
    Any of those names are cool with me.