+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MiWi now useless unless you want to pay for a tethering plan?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Just got my second text from AT&T today saying they detected tethering on my account and they are adding the tethering plan AND removing my unlimited data plan! WTF. First
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default MiWi now useless unless you want to pay for a tethering plan?
    Just got my second text from AT&T today saying they detected tethering on my account and they are adding the tethering plan AND removing my unlimited data plan! WTF.

First text I got a couple months ago and called and said I didn't tether, and they said they would remove the flag. This time I call and there is nothing they can do. I talked to a manager and got an "extension" (i.e. one more chance), but if it's detected again, same thing. The crappy thing is that I actually HAVEN'T tethered in about a month because I finally ponied up for internet/wifi at home (from AT&T none the less... bastages).

So it seems like I can't use MyWi at all anymore. Anyone else? I heard that PDANet or whatever the MyWi competitor is has a way to "hide" the fact that you're tethering. I haven't seen any talk of this from MyWi at all. Anyone have problems from AT&T (or not) with PDANet?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If you didn't tether, there is nothing for them to detect, so I am not sure I follow.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've been testing pdanet on my moms iPhone so as not to risk my unlimted. I haven't done it enough to know for sure, but am skeptical the hide feature really works. It's one of those things where I'm not a programmer so I just have to take the developers word for it that it actually hides it.

I also haven't heard anyone talk about if pdanet hides it either. I do know as far as perfomance it works just as well as mywi.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If you didn't tether, there is nothing for them to detect, so I am not sure I follow.
    Well they claimed to detect something. She even went into some apps in the app store cause tethering to be flagged, but backed off and played dumb when I pressed saying that if that's true, they better never flag me again because it causes me to waste 30 min of my time each time I have to call in.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

I think that is total ********.