+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Inaccurate Maps location after jailbreak/unlock

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I have been experiencing a very odd issue with my iPhone 4, and I have been able to replicate this issue on 3 different iPhone 4s. When my iPhone 4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Inaccurate Maps location after jailbreak/unlock
    I have been experiencing a very odd issue with my iPhone 4, and I have been able to replicate this issue on 3 different iPhone 4s.

When my iPhone 4 is locked to AT&T, and not jailbroken, the Maps app works great, and finds my location accurately.

When I jailbreak my iPhone 4 (tried with greenpois0n, limera1n, and pwnagetool) and unlocked with ultrasn0w and using a T-Mobile SIM card, the Maps accuracy drops by a LOT!. Often times, the Map apps locates me half a mile to a mile away from my actual location.

Also, I noticed that when I use a locked, unjailbroken iPhone 4 without a SIM card, Maps can still locate me. With my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 4, with no SIM card, it is unable to locate me at all.

Since this happens on 3 iPhone 4s I tested with, this can't possibly be an isolated issue. I also tried 2 different T-Mobile SIM cards. Same issue with both cards. Now.. when I try my T-Mobile SIM cards on a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G, Maps is able to locate me accurately. Thus, this issue appears to only occur for me on the iPhone 4, jailbroken, unlocked.

Does anyone know why jailbreaking and unlocking would change the accuracy of the Maps application?

I have tried old and new versions of MobileSubstrate with no change.

Anyone else experiencing this, or know how to fix this?

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rainkid View Post
    Also, I noticed that when I use a locked, unjailbroken iPhone 4 without a SIM card, Maps can still locate me. With my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 4, with no SIM card, it is unable to locate me at all.
    Do you know how GPS works?
    You need a Sim card in the phone to get service to the phone so you can find your location

I would assume that it's a mile off because it's not the dot location because then its using 3 Towers to triangulate your location

Mine says I'm about 3 miles away from where I am

I personally just use the Bookmarks location for Home Church and Work Locations

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

To clarify - all my test phones are connected to my WiFi network. My unlocked phone with WiFi and no SIM card was not able to locate me using the WiFi network. My locked phone with WiFi and no SIM card was able to locate me quite accurately using my WiFI netwrok.

After some research, it appears as if it might be a GPS hacktivation issue. (Though, I am pretty sure I activated using an AT&T SIM card).

Still searching for a fix.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm thinking the Carrier Unlock is playing a roll in this

Have you tried a jailbroken only iPhone against an unlocked jailbroken same iPhone model(3GS or 4)??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I'm thinking the Carrier Unlock is playing a roll in this

Have you tried a jailbroken only iPhone against an unlocked jailbroken same iPhone model(3GS or 4)??
    Yes, my jailbroken and ultrasn0w unlocked 3G and 3GS both work 100% (don't have any jailbroken, non-unlocked devices to test with).

It is only on the iPhone 4's that I have this issue. And while I experience this with all of my 3 iPhone 4s, with all 3 methods of jailbreaking, it doesn't appear as if many other people are having this same issue.

Perhaps I'm just lucky

(At this point, I have pretty much concluded it is a bug in hacktivation)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

because your using differant sim cards

differant levels of signal...
    differant location