Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does PkgBackup really backup EVERYTHING?

Default Does PkgBackup really backup EVERYTHING?
    Im currently jailbroken on 4.0.1 on my iPhone 4, and I was thinking of updating to 4.1 and jailbreaking with limera1n. The thing is though, I have so many sources that I added in cydia, and since a good quarter to a third of my cydia apps are from user-entered sources, Im wondering if PkgBackup will backup my sources as well as my other packages so I can get everything back with the click of a button instead of tediosly re-entering all the extra sources.

I used aptbackup and it didn't backup my sources, but it did backup the apps that came from user-entered sources

pkgbackup will bundle a list of all your sources and installed cydia packages into an exportable .vcf file

i always think of this a 2 main step process..

1) pkgbackups all of your cydia land stuff, for a pretty much one click restore of sources and packages.

2) itunes for normal backup of your iphone.

so that you can restore from itunes to get your itunes apps and your system settings back

then restore from pkgbackup

so you end up with your apps back, your settings and finally your cydia stuff

its (pkgbackup) a very good program and has helped me out once so far! seems much more easier and reliable than others i have tried.
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along

@LesPaul -- on the main screen of PKGBackup, tap the "Settings" button under "Active Packages" -- your user-added sources should be listed at the top and you may check or uncheck to back them up.

It's a great app.