+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Divx / MKV / AVI playback on your iPad/iPhone/iPod

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
OK, just wanted to share my little review here. Today I'm going to be looking at a great application called Air Video. This is a multimedia playback application available for
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Divx / MKV / AVI playback on your iPad/iPhone/iPod
    OK, just wanted to share my little review here.

Today I'm going to be looking at a great application called Air Video. This is a multimedia playback application available for the iPhone / iPad or iPod Touch on iOS 4.X

Till now, there have only really been 2 ways of getting a Divx video to playback on your iPhone.

1. Converting to MP4

I've been converting videos for the iPhone for almost 3 years now, and it sucks, not only do you waste about 20-30 minutes in converting the video, you also can't view it till it's done the conversion first, well thats just horrible.

2. Playback using VLC

With the recent launch of the VLC, users are now able to playback video in AVI or other compression formats on the iDevice itself. However, expeiances all around the net and even reviews in the app store are showing random crashes, unsynced audio and many more problems, just pushing us further away from these kinds of apps.

This is where Air Video really shines. To summerize the software allows your to stream any files including and upto 8gb mkv files over wireless g to your device within seconds. Without converting, copying or any wait time ! The software streams the mkv avi xvid divx files from your host (windows or mac) and also allows you to add the files into your iTunes library to have them on your device on the next sync. Remember you don't need to be jailbroken to have this cool feature on your device.

Air Video software relies on a host (your windows or mac itunes box) to install their server software. Once completed (5 minutes max) you should be able to add a shared video folder. This is the folder where you have your video files located on your computer. Once you select the folder and click start server, you can move on to your iDevice for further instruction.

On your iPhone download Air Play (2.99 from the AppStore)

Launch and then you should see your host and be able to start browsing your video files.

But we'll show you with our video, since a video is worth 1000 words.

check out the video here

and my full review here
    No Signature link or spam... only warning

iPhone? More like MyPhone DanTheManMS's Avatar
    Thanks

Another very similar product that just recently came out is called Zumocast. The difference is that Zumocast also streams music files and most common document formats (PDF, Powerpoint, Word, Excel, txt, images). Granted, it's not quite as good with video specifically as Air Video is, but it's catching up and is certainly worth a look, especially since it's free.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DanTheManMS For This Useful Post:

jackyole (09-27-2010)